Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser Locations Versus Methods  (Read 4014 times)

KarateKick

Tidal Fraser Locations Versus Methods
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »

Hi Everyone,

People talk about pools versus runs in small rivers, but does this kind of distinction relevant on the tidal Fraser?

My kids and I have had no luck catching anything with spoons and spinners, and I wonder if we are using the right method at the wrong locations.  What are the criteria for choosing a good location for casting lures?

What are the criteria for choosing a good location for using a bar rig?  Does the "bar" mean the spreader bars or does it mean we need to find a sand bar?

Thank you!

TimL

Re: Tidal Fraser Locations Versus Methods
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »

I think for both methods you need to present your offerings in the fish's travel lane. However when pertaining to which method to use depends mainly on water clarity, especially with lures, since if visibility is poor, fish can't see your lure. With bait, scent is more important so in murkier conditions, it may be the preferred method to fish.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »

Spreader bars are more for halibut and other bottom fish.
They are larger and heavier than bar rigs and use a fairly heavy weight.

I would suspect that you would have to find a sand bar to be effective.
On a rocky bottom, the rig might get "trapped" and not float/move properly.
You may also have a problem in the lower with too slow flow for a spin-n-glow.

Roe with or without a spin-n-glow is the preferred method of fishing bar rigs.
(Spin-n-glow mostly for Chinooks).

You may have to travel out to the Langley area or beyond for a decent chance at Coho.

http://www.steelheadermag.com/pics/fraserbar.html
http://www.sharphooks.com/club.aspx?subpage=fishingforum&action=showthread&thread=4665

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »

bar rig is the type of gear your using. you can buy pre tied set ups at any local tackle store. the goal is to find places where the bottom is free of debris so you wont lose gear. you can bar fish from richmond up the fraser. here are a few videos to help explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjkgQFNiDrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVTkVvyo600

KarateKick

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »

Thank you guys.  I'll give this a try.

I've been encouraging the kids to keep casting their spoons and spinners, but after a few months even I feel discouraged.  I am getting the impression that in the lower Fraser, the chances of a fish seeing our metal lure is extremely small, and it's better to just cast out a bait and sit tight.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »

Thank you guys.  I'll give this a try.

I've been encouraging the kids to keep casting their spoons and spinners, but after a few months even I feel discouraged.  I am getting the impression that in the lower Fraser, the chances of a fish seeing our metal lure is extremely small, and it's better to just cast out a bait and sit tight.

I applaud your perseverance in teaching your kids how to fish spoons and spinners!

I would recommend mixing it up and fishing bait. You can usually find very willing freshwater and saltwater fish that you can tempt with bait. In my experience, kids are just happy to catch a fish. It doesn't matter what kind, or how big it is. And it can be it can be a nice change of pace to watch for a bobber to dive, or for a rod tip to quiver, or to hear bell.

When I took my kids fishing I made sure I had three things: toys, dry clothes and snacks. Cuz nothing can cut a fishing trip short like a bored, hungry or wet kid :) 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:02 PM »

Basically good fishing locations with limited snags that steal tackle have been identified and defined over the years. While in the 50+ years I have been fishing locally, we have been losing good spots due to erosion and river changes most of the ones I was familiar with 30 or 40 years ago are still doing well.

Many are defined on FWR here: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/tidal_fraser_river.html.

One favourite not mentioned  is Duncan Bar - just follow the directions for Glen Valley and travel east on River Road till it ends. Duncan is a muddy bar in it's western and mid sections but firmer at the east end. West of Derby Reach (once called Edgewater) is the Meunch Bar reached by marked trails. That's also a muddy bar. I seldom fish those areas anymore though I do ride my bike on the excellent trails.

All these spots should be good for tossing lures. Roe is the most popular bait, though back in the day I recall dew worms & single eggs caught good numbers of jack coho and trout in October. In late summer and fall two ounces of weight will anchor your bar rig to bottom in most locations from Langley to the mouth. However from Mission up the river current is faster to the point that above the mouth of the Vedder it may take up to half a kilo of weight to hold the bar rig in place. Here people tend to prefer lures such as spin and glos.

I also wanted to mention that we are pretty much at the tail end of season. There might be a fair chance of catching a fish for the next week or so but by the middle of the month it is usually over.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:35:47 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.