Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noodle rods  (Read 4343 times)

KarateKick

Noodle rods
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:32:45 PM »

When people talk about noodle rods, do they mean a rod with very slow action, or very light power, or both?

What is the advantage of a noodle rod?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Noodle rods
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »

Both. Light power equals weaker rod, and a slower rod will be felt down through the cork.

Edit. Noodle rods are lots of fun to play fish on, (for those who like soft rods) and I guess helps absorb some shock when using braid. Probably all other advantage goes to the faster rod.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:27:37 PM by Noahs Arc »

hammer

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »

Noodle rods are slow action, full flexing, lighter rods. One place they came into prominence is on the Great Lakes tributary steelhead fishery. Long flexible rods for for fishing sensitive floats. I believe it is an extension of English trotting where very fine floats are precisely weighted to detect subtle bites from various fish species. They have some application and popularity here among steelhead circles. However, generally, in BC coastal situations, with our larger presentations and fast, brawling rivers (by some comparison), the vast majority fish 10'6" or a 11'3" rod medium action rod. Traditional centerpin fishers favour a rod that flexes a bit deeper into the butt section, but that is a matter of preference. The term is also used more generally to describe a softer, slower action rod of any type. You might hear someone say " that's a real noodle" vs "that feels feels like pool cue".
That is my understanding of things...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Hammer

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »

30 years ago my dad had a 12 foot Daiwa noodle rod that he used for mooching and he loved it.  I remember the excitement in his eyes when he found it in the sporting goods section of a long-defunct big-box store in Bellingham.  It was black with yellow wraps (fiberglass of course).  Then on a trip to Uclulet he made the mistake of using it for trolling, and in an unfortunate mishap we broke off both downrigger balls and his noodle rod broke into 12 1 foot pieces.  He was just left holding the butt end and laughing - what else can you do.  We haven't trolled since.

KarateKick

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »

How well do noodle rods cast lures?  More specifically, how would you compare the casting abilities of a light power slow action rod and a light power fast action rod?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »

Once you get the hang of them both, I would say they cast about the same distance wise, with accuracy going to the faster rod. The slow rod can take some getting used to if you've only ever chucked hardware with a fast rod.

KarateKick

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »

I am wondering if these are good for kids casting light lures:

1. Shakespeare Wild:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MCOJLDY
http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shakespeare-rods-spinning-rods/shakespeare-wild-series-rods-spinning/1365091.html

WSSP1062UL:

Length = 10'6"
     Power = ultralight
     Line wt = 4 - 10 lb
     Lure wt = 1/4 - 1 oz
     Price: $50 on Amazon

2. South Bend Black Beauty Noodle Rod
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00GI9RR5I
http://www.south-bend.com/products/products-brand/black-beauty/black-beauty-noodle-rod

BBND-902ULSP:

Length = 9'
     Power = ultralight
     Line wt = 2 - 8 lb
     Lure wt = 1/16 - 1/4 oz
     Price: $40 on Amazon

BBND-102ULSP:

Length = 10'
     Power = heavy(?)
     Line wt = 2 - 8 lb
     Lure wt = 1/16 - 1/4 oz
     Price: $40 on Amazon

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:17:45 AM by KarateKick »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »

When you say kid how old are we talking? Those are fairly long rods.

KarateKick

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »

When you say kid how old are we talking? Those are fairly long rods.

At the moment I am working on a preteen with very little forearm muscle.  An ultralight rod seems to help him cast a little farther, and I am hoping a longer ultralight would help even more.