Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluro to Braid Knot  (Read 10914 times)

obie1fish

Re: Fluro to Braid Knot
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »

Does the FG knot work on thin mono or floro in the 6- 8lbs region?

Yes, it does. If you take a look at the FG's design, it behaves the same as a Chinese finger puzzle. Because of the large number of wraps, the friction and tightening forces are spread along a longer section of line than the Albright and double uni style knots. This from a dyed in the wool double uni guy. Also, because the mono isn't doubled over, it slides through the guides beautifully.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »

Fluoro is not invisible as it has a higher refractive index than water. The refractive index of water will vary depending on dissolved and suspended materials in it.
Interesting, so in terms of fishing what is fluoro good for then? Thanks.
It ain't the roe bro'

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 11:14:29 PM »

If fluorocarbon was actually invisible then it wouldn’t cast a shadow either.
I meant to say fluorocarbon is less visible to fish, compare to mono. However, that and whether it cast a shadow is two different thing altogether.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »

Interesting, so in terms of fishing what is fluoro good for then? Thanks.

FC has a lower refractive index than mono so the claim is it is less visible but not invisible. It also is denser so it will sink better than mono. It is also claimed to have better abrasion resistance.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 11:29:37 PM »

FC has a lower refractive index than mono so the claim is it is less visible but not invisible. It also is denser so it will sink better than mono. It is also claimed to have better abrasion resistance.
Less visible or invisible,  we are not fish so we will never really know for sure.  I am sure most people who use fluoro believe the fish cannot see it.  Personally my applications are for chironomid fishing which I think makes a real difference; and low water steelhead, which I don't catch enough to say if its better than my 6 lb Ultra green.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »

I've seldom found FC made much of if any difference. When it seemed to I found it impossible to conclude that it wasn't some other factor such as changes in light, water temperature or surface distortion that made the difference and not the FC. I carry some but use it maybe 5% of the time or even less.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »

Less visible or invisible,  we are not fish so we will never really know for sure.  I am sure most people who use fluoro believe the fish cannot see it.  Personally my applications are for chironomid fishing which I think makes a real difference; and low water steelhead, which I don't catch enough to say if its better than my 6 lb Ultra green.

You mention chironomid fishing - so I'll bite!  I also use FC for chironomids because the diameter is smaller than mono, which will allow me to tie on very small flies if I need to.  Also, chironomids don't move (much at all) which will allow trout to inspect my offering and casually sip it if it chooses to do so.  I want every advantage I can get, so FC fits the bill for me.   Otherwise, when I'm trolling searching patterns, I just use 6 lb. mono and it works fine.  Trout will take searching patterns like leeches much differently than chironomids.  They will typically commit and strike hard, so being "stealthy" isn't as much as an issue here.

On the river, I use FC for my coho roe fishing.  Again, it's what works for me.  I believe it's just one of many factors that increase my chances of catching coho, which I believe are the most difficult salmon/steelhead to entice.  However, when drifting blades, I just use regular mono for the same reason I use it for searching patterns in the lakes.

In the end, go with what works for you!

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 12:14:08 AM »

I've seldom found FC made much of if any difference. When it seemed to I found it impossible to conclude that it wasn't some other factor such as changes in light, water temperature or surface distortion that made the difference and not the FC. I carry some but use it maybe 5% of the time or even less.
LOL come to think of it I started using FC when I started using the non-slip loop knot on #14 & #16's. The size of the knot in relationship to the fly bothered me, hence the change and it stuck.
Still, I always remind myself the words of RHB when I have the urge to go buy stuff, and probably saved myself some money over the years.  It went something like this:

"I am not concerned with Christmas-tree lures or other exotic hardware available on store shelves.  I am not interested..... in new gadgets that will enable me to cast great distances............or flies that so show their light through the water that no fish can resist them.  I have known all these things or others much like them, and I know they will work no miracles for me or for anyone else."

Now, about the new sage X switch rod........
It ain't the roe bro'

Abu

fishman254

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 05:55:40 AM »

The new hotness is the FG Knot, and also the Dodd Knot.

BMo86

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 07:47:02 AM »

Tie a perfection loop on both the braid and on your leader and join them loop to loop