Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluro to Braid Knot  (Read 10892 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fluro to Braid Knot
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 08:24:18 AM »

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 11:09:05 AM »

If you can't tie knots, tie lots.
Has always worked for me

cdjk123

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 11:53:39 AM »

lol I seem to be a minority...I use a loop to loop! Never failed me...yet :p

96XJ

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »

Double uni is good. But the FG knot, is F* ing Great.

I 2nd the FG knot , been using it for 2 years now and it's never failed me yet .....

mesmer25

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »

I 2nd the FG knot , been using it for 2 years now and it's never failed me yet .....

I've recently replaced all my leader to braid connections with the FG knot, I like the low profile of this knot.

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »

The Double Uni knot has never failed me. Quick YouTube instructional video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_VUb-dOQo

FishOn36

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »

Alberto knot works fine for me, and it's not too hard to tie.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »

obie1fish

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 04:21:40 PM »

I've recently replaced all my leader to braid connections with the FG knot, I like the low profile of this knot.

Totally agree. I find the "clanginess" of heavier profile knots very unnerving. Even with very thin braid (10 lb. Nano) it seems to work for me. It just took a little practice to get the hang of it. Remember to keep the wraps snug, in order, and to tighten the wraps before the half hitches.

Anyone try the tippet rings from fly fishing as an alternative?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:24:32 PM by obie1fish »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »

Does the FG knot work on thin mono or floro in the 6- 8lbs region?

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 09:50:25 PM »

Thanks guys. For braid > 30lbs is there a preference between double uni and FG?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 09:52:58 PM »

Totally agree. I find the "clanginess" of heavier profile knots very unnerving. Even with very thin braid (10 lb. Nano) it seems to work for me. It just took a little practice to get the hang of it. Remember to keep the wraps snug, in order, and to tighten the wraps before the half hitches.

Anyone try the tippet rings from fly fishing as an alternative?

My 2 cents:

If the water is not super clear and Im not going for spooky coho, I'll tie the braid mainline to a small swivel. And I'll put a bead on before the swivel so it cant be reeled into the guides. IMO the best knot to use with braid is the palomar. Easy to tie as well. If you utube "knot wards" they test these knots and the palomar is the winner for braid. But many other good knots for braid that are close runner ups to the palomar. Use what works for you.

Off the swivel I'll run 3 or so feet of 12 or 15lb mono. Use flouro if you like. I don't think it matters for salmon, but if you like it and have confidence in it then by all means fish it. At the end of the leader is, obviously, my lure.

If I'm just not hooking anything and I feel going ultra stealthy is needed then I'll run a 10 or so foot leader tied right to the braid. The double uni and others are fine. I personally like the modified Albright. I find it goes through the guides better and I believe on knot was it tested the highest for a mono/flouro to braid knot.

There is even a knot wars app you can put on your phone.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 10:58:09 PM »

.........Use flouro if you like. I don't think it matters for salmon..............
.........If I'm just not hooking anything and I feel going ultra stealthy is needed...................

Good post.
There are lots of us who think likewise when salmon fishing: stealth is important at times; flouro is not.
Flouro is invisible, but they cast shadows just the same as mono.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »

Fluoro is not invisible as it has a higher refractive index than water. The refractive index of water will vary depending on dissolved and suspended materials in it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »

If fluorocarbon was actually invisible then it wouldn’t cast a shadow either. If there is any ‘optical’ benefit to fluoro it’s probably marginal at best but aren’t likely to be worse than regular mono, so if it gives one confidence, then go for it.

As for the fluoro-mono connection I also like a tiny micro-swivel though it does somewhat limit you if for some reason you need to reel the connection into the guides. For knots, the Albright is a similar but simpler version of the Alberto.

Not familiar with the FG knot, learn something new every day. Interested in trying it out though it looks a bit tricky to tie.