Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wholesale sports closing down, sale starting tomorrow  (Read 8099 times)

redside1

Wholesale sports closing down, sale starting tomorrow
« on: September 14, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »

Just stopped by Wholesale sports Langley and they are closing their doors starting tomorrow am. Looks like the complete chain of 12 stores is shutting their doors from what i was told.  Might be some good deals to be had.

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Wholesale sports closing down, sale starting tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »

Wow, i'm gonna spin by and start to pick through the carnage.

They were just having a nice little pre-sale that I didn't identify as 'writing on the wa''.  Spinners and spoons were 25% so I grabbed quite a few.

steelheadfreak

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »

Just stopped by Wholesale sports Langley and they are closing their doors starting tomorrow am. Looks like the complete chain of 12 stores is shutting their doors from what i was told.  Might be some good deals to be had.

I wouldn't bother. Liquidators go in and inventory everything. Then prices are set at MSRP. Just because it says a "liquidation sale" doesn't make it so. Do your research first. I bet prices will be more than they are now. I see it every day.

anorden

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »

It's official now, I just got the email.

Website is no longer accepting orders, its for reference only.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/ufa-co-operative-closing-12-store-wholesale-sports-chain-in-western-canada

Quote from: Damien
Wow, i'm gonna spin by and start to pick through the carnage.

Don't be naive. Their price tags are way overblown.
Whatever you buy at their liquidation sale is available in many other places for less. Not to mention the Internet.

bluenoser

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 03:21:49 PM »

That's too bad...lots of great people worked there.

BN

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »

Fishing section is always busy with people when I go to the one in Langley but the rest of the store is absolutely dead.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 03:54:24 PM »

That's too bad...lots of great people worked there. BN

I'm sure they did, like in most brick and mortar businesses catering to the fisher/hunter.
It's the sign of times...hard to compete with the likes of Bass Pro and Cabelas.

And as our hobby/passion/obsession continues to be viewed in a negative light in the eyes of the ever-growing, tree-hugging vegan crowd whose perception of wildlife is based on Walt Disney movies, we will see more and more opposition to activities based on deliberately harassing/torturing and killing animals in the wild.
This, in turn, will create less demand for fishing and hunting equipment as the number of anglers and hunters will inevitably go down due to dwindling opportunities. As a result, more and more stores will close.

I expect we are slowly, but surely heading towards the day when fishing and hunting will be legal only in 5D simulation chambers, which, in some ways, might even be a good thing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:48:48 PM by milo »

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 07:58:40 PM »

Agree with milo for once, watch when anybody posts a hunting video or picture on YouTube etc, the verbal abuse against them is unreal. Recently the grizzly bear cancellation was evident of the hatred towards all hunting and imposed to fishing,   I believe if outdoorsman are too ever thrive we need to become one huge lobby group for all sectors

Shinny

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »

I think killing grizzly bear for sport and killing some fish for dinner are two completely different things. Me.. personally I was glad to see the government do something about the grizzly hunt. I'm tired of seeing fatso Americans coming up here, being driven out on a quad somewhere and basically just sitting around waiting for a Grizzly to appear in his sights. I don't see the sport in it... I'm sure plenty disagree.

The majority of the people offended by big game hunting probably could care less about someone ethically fishing and killing  a few salmon for dinner... I've posted plenty of fishing pictures and videos on social media and never had a backlash... oh the poor fish  ::)

Holding up the head/paw of a grizzly bear with a smug look on your face with an American flag on your shoulder is going to raise some pulses.

Back to the topic though, always a shame to see a store shut down. I've never been to bass pro or cabellas. Sea run is closer...guys are super helpfull and if widget A&B cost a buck more well that's just what you pay for a local store and some local river knowledge... it's not going to change my retirement plan.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 09:08:12 PM »

Hunting and Fishing are managed by scientists and biological study,  I wouldn't hunt any bear either but I'm not going to be against a managed hunt backed by science to be sustainable. It all comes down to the erosion of hunting and fishing opportunity and rights why stores like above are in trouble/failing. Just like this year's salmon runs being low, I got the severity and planned around although I supported the efforts to open them as natives were targeting "troubled stocks".  I would suggest strongly that not buying your licenses is a very bad idea as those monies fund habitat and dish culture without those were fooked

anorden

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »

I think killing grizzly bear for sport and killing some fish for dinner are two completely different things. Me.. personally I was glad to see the government do something about the grizzly hunt. I'm tired of seeing fatso Americans coming up here, being driven out on a quad somewhere and basically just sitting around waiting for a Grizzly to appear in his sights. I don't see the sport in it... I'm sure plenty disagree.

And on the other hand some people think catch and release fishing is far crueler. Torturing a fish for no reason. What's the difference between a fat American shooting a bear and catching a sturgeon?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »

I found most of their prices fair compared to most other local places.  Like ANYWHERE else, you need to shop around.  But sometimes when you need to buy small ticket items out of convenience it was good.  Thats what bricks and mortar retail is all about, convenience. 

I picked up some decent quality rods there last year in their sale section.  $79USD were the lowest online prices.  I bought all four they had on the shelf for $39CAD, two spinning, two bait casters.

Birkenhead

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 04:05:48 AM »

Getting my comments in before this thread gets locked due to some derailed comments that have nothing to do with Wholesale Sports...

I agree with Damien, Wholesale can have good prices and I stop in there anytime (along with Army and Navy) whenever I am out in Langley. Shame they are closing down as it is putting many local people out of work.