Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wholesale sports closing down, sale starting tomorrow  (Read 8100 times)

Shinny

Re: Wholesale sports closing down, sale starting tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 06:48:57 AM »

And on the other hand some people think catch and release fishing is far crueler. Torturing a fish for no reason. What's the difference between a fat American shooting a bear and catching a sturgeon?

::) the bear is dead and the sturgeon is released alive..big difference...obviously.

Sorry for derailing the thread, i will digress.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »

Getting my comments in before this thread gets locked due to some derailed comments that have nothing to do with Wholesale Sports...

If you look at it carefully, it is not completely unrelated with the closure of a fishing/hunting store...our sport is on the brink of extinction, sales are dwindling, opportunities becoming fewer and farther between. Fish farms and Food Inc. wins, we lose.
Just a matter of time, a couple of decades at most. :(

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »

Went by Wholesale in Langley this morning after dropping the little one off at school.  At 9am there were at least 200 people lined up for a sale advertised as "Up to 30%" off.

I don't know if that makes a big difference for the hunters etc.  But I didn't stick around to see what was happening inside.  Some guy poked his head out the door at 9:10 and said "5 or 10 mins guys". 

The doors must be opened by now, but I didn't stick around.

BananasQ

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »

If you look at it carefully, it is not completely unrelated with the closure of a fishing/hunting store...our sport is on the brink of extinction, sales are dwindling, opportunities becoming fewer and farther between. Fish farms and Food Inc. wins, we lose.
Just a matter of time, a couple of decades at most. :(

My - this forum is all doom and gloom at the moment!  I am laying low on it nowadays, but here is an interesting 2010 study (2015 from Stat Can should be available this year) showing that angling is actually growing, but is definitely not a young persons sport. http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/rec/can/2010/RECFISH2010_ENG.pdf but I don't think it is disappearing in a couple of decades unless we suffer a complete ecological breakdown, and the LM salmon runs continue their downward trajectory. Most kids love to fish, and I applaud some of the efforts being made to bring that next generation in.  I take my kids fishing (they were in waders up FC for pinks), I take their friends along too - and I think its our responsibility when we see kids out there to be patient and supportive of them. I know that I get intimidated by people who fish a lot and I die a little inside when a cast goes awry, I can only imagine how kids feel doing the same.

Anyway, tight lines to all and I'll go back to lurking.   :D

sugartooth

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »

I went there this afternoon.
Some of the deals I noticed:
10% off all rods
10% off waders
30% off lures
20% off fishing line.
Plenty of other deals

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »

I run 2 events for kids every year for the last 20 years to teach them to fish, they are very very well attended and along with many others in same boat as well as parents, we attempt to create future stewards of the resource. However if they're declining opportunity then you will have declining sales (wholesale sports)and less monies to my society and the FWFSBC won't have the monies to provide trout, raise steelhead, and provided habitat etc to keep stocks viable. I've heard numerous times recently " I'm not going to purchase my salmon/steelhead tag to show how upset I am", so it's no surprise tackle stores are disappearing when opportunity is negligible. When runs were plentiful in the 90s to 2000,s on sons and Springs I was always trumping the opening for bottom bouncing segment as the license /tackle sales would rocket and their weren't shortcomings in funding. Now we are watching runs diminishing in front of us due to a couple of main reasons of which the recreational sector is not even remotely responsible for but we pay the biggest price
......Ps Rivers day is next Sunday 24th some great events around including some amazing fishing for kids.

John Revolver

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »

That is a real shame and I am sorry for the folks who have lost their jobs.

I loved the Langley fishing department.

I have no desire to check out the "liquidation sale"  unless I see some prices cut 40% 50% 60%  THAT is a real liquidation sale.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 05:54:25 AM »

That is a real shame and I am sorry for the folks who have lost their jobs.

I loved the Langley fishing department.

I have no desire to check out the "liquidation sale"  unless I see some prices cut 40% 50% 60%  THAT is a real liquidation sale.

I enjoyed the fishing department as well. I noticed after Cabelas opened up the stock at the Langley location increased. They had every single blue fox or Gibbs lure. Fully stocked too. It wasn't always that way. As far as the sale goes, I remember Target doing the same thing. The prices were reduced little by little and in the end nothing was there.  20% off or even 30% isn't going to make me drive to Langley. Unless they have some bow mounted trolling motors left. Then I'll go.

John Revolver

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »

ok I will confess I went out there this morning.

Picked up a single hand spey line at 30% off  and lots of trout and steelhead flies at 30% off.

according to the receipt I saved $81 of my purchase.

Every other big ticket Item is only 10% off.  Place was fairly busy but not to crazy.