Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River  (Read 59033 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »

Saw the news report on at 11 last night on Global.

Fred and Rod did an amazing job. I thought global had fair and accurate representation of the matter.

A big thanks to all who showed up. I was not out there but I am glad there was a good turnout.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »

So what was the end result fish catch summary? Even though the Demonstration was only targeting Steelhead, Trout and Char, I wasn't surprised Global showed footage of what appeared to be a nice Chinook being released.

Any evidence of the alien Atlantic Salmon up the river yet?
I am sure we will soon get a tally of the fish caught and of course all released.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2017, 09:32:39 AM »

I guess its serious when they bring in the coast guard cutter. LoL. Sounds like from the DFOs perspective they don't plan on opening the Fraser this year. Has a full closure ever happened in history?

I was out in the salt it's been park out front of the river mouth (Sand Heads) for days. Got checked by DFO yesterday. They said that they wrote 2 full books worth of tickets for barb hooks in one day. Thats Freaking pathetic I am ashamed at people that use them. They said that they were asked to come help out front to manage the recreational fishery by the officer in charge of the Steveston office. As the Chilliwack, Mission, Langley and Steveston DFO offices have all there members working around the clock managing the native fishery up river.

The vessels is operated out of Victoria. It is not a Coast Guard Vessel it is owned by DFO and manned by 3 officers that work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Coast guard provides the pilot,cook and deck hands but it's directed where it's needed by DFO. It is a mid shore vessel and they recently had two of them built in hallifax.

The river will be open for Chum and Coho, Not sure about pinks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:39:48 AM by wildmanyeah »

sockeyed

« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2017, 11:55:12 AM »

"September 02, 2017
A big thank you to everyone that attended the demonstration fishery today. It was a great day with great people. The mission to demonstrate that Sockeye could be avoided with bar fishing methods was clearly proved with approx 80 anglers.  Final numbers are not complete but approx 10 Chinook and 20 pinks were landed and carefully released. Zero Sockeye were hooked for the day. There were Sockeye being caught right next to us with long drift nets, so they were in the river in decent numbers as well.

The First Nations fishers and anglers were respectful to each other as they fished side by side with no issues or altercations what so ever.  This concern that is continually brought up by DFO as a stumbling block and a reason recreational fishers  should not be on the water can be handled with common sense and courtesy. Not everyone is able follow this approach but today it was clear that it can work. 

FRSA will continue to fight for opportunity  with resourceful thinking  with the support of many organizations and the growing membership. Thanks for making a difference in this difficult and challenging task to save our fishery.

Lets work together to ensure there are fish for future generations.

Join the FRSA team today. Fraseralliance.com"

Taken from freds website.

https://www.fredscustomtackle.com/fishing-report

sockeyed

« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »

Also some photos of bycatch male pinks being dumped are making the rounds on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/CrescentSportfishing/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:04:26 PM by sockeyed »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »

Thanks for info on the event yesterday. It's terrible how a few bad apples (people who cause problems for the FN fishery) can have such a broad effect. Once I was fishing a spot, crowded 'cause sockeye were open and a FN came by mentioning that someone
had pushed his boat into the river overnight. Fortunately some other rec anglers recovered it for him. I've also heard stories of people, fishing from anchored boats who won't move when FN boats using drift nets come by.

also looking at the by-catch discards I can't help wondering if those can't go to a food bank or some other no-profit that could put it to use.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »

also looking at the by-catch discards I can't help wondering if those can't go to a food bank or some other no-profit that could put it to use.

I'd let you sample the dish first. They've been sitting out in 30+ degree heat. They're wasted...I need not say more.

cdjk123

« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »

Also some photos bycatch male pinks being dumped making the round on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/CrescentSportfishing/

What an absolute waste. Makes my blood boil.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »

Keep calm. Incidental by-catch mortalities like these have already been taken into account when allocating quotas. Conservation objectives will be met lol. :-*

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »

I'd let you sample the dish first. They've been sitting out in 30+ degree heat. They're wasted...I need not say more.
Lol ... yes they are clearly wasted. What an insult to every readers intelligence but I have come to expect that and worse.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »

Those discarded pinks show that a certain group won't lower themselves to eat pinks while they claim their people have to deal with poverty and lack of salmon for their need this year, whereas many of us got up at 4 or 5am and drove all that far to Squamish just to have the chance to provide the family with one pink and that is if they are lucky. They are not just a waste. They are a symbol of discriminatory treatment between races in fishery management and a shame to our Canadian value of equality for all.

Robert_G

« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »

Well....let me read your post again then....since you are accusing me of insulting people.

You said you "can't help 'wonder'". That generally means to be deep in thought...and we all can only imagine what goes on in your (brainwashed by the system left wing) mind.
You continued with "could they go to a food bank". That sounded to me like a question or a possibility. If you want to be understood as already knowing, then why would you open the idea of possibility?
Lastly you say "could put it to use". What use is that? If you already know they are wasted....why even ramble on about it?
Because that's what you do...ramble on about things you know very little about.

Robert_G

« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2017, 05:45:03 PM »

Those discarded pinks show that a certain group won't lower themselves to eat pinks while they claim their people have to deal with poverty and lack of salmon for their need this year, whereas many of us got up at 4 or 5am and drove all that far to Squamish just to have the chance to provide the family with one pink and that is if they are lucky. They are not just a waste. They are a symbol of discriminatory treatment between races in fishery management and a shame to our Canadian value of equality for all.

Well said, but there are people here who have stated that the natives need salmon to survive and can't survive on a western diet. I guess they must have more than they need if they are throwing fish away. I guess they won't have any problem with the sporties getting an opening now.

Tangles

« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »

Everyone with a brain knows Hillary is spelled with two L

If you really wanna be technical the correct spelling is with a K - Killary  ;D

Robert_G

« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2017, 06:47:09 PM »

If you really wanna be technical the correct spelling is with a K - Killary  ;D

You'd be shocked how many times articles and opinions have outright used that name. It suits her. She has blood on her hands like you wouldn't believe.