Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River  (Read 59016 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »

The Global report did not do a good job of articulating what the demonstration was about, ie. trying to show there are ways to allow sport fishing of the Fraser without impacting sockeye.

They made it seem more like fishermen are angry about the sockeye closure and out there fishing for them anyways...

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »

On Global at 6pm
I poked around the Global website just now but couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link?

Robert_G

« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2017, 06:48:19 PM »

The Global report did not do a good job of articulating what the demonstration was about, ie. trying to show there are ways to allow sport fishing of the Fraser without impacting sockeye.

They made it seem more like fishermen are angry about the sockeye closure and out there fishing for them anyways...

That's because the media too is bought and paid for by the liberal left wing agenda.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2017, 06:56:13 PM »

Much of what your folks went through has been a reality for most immigrants settling in Canada, myself included. And that was a scant 18 years ago.
But we did it BY CHOICE. No one put a gun against our heads and forced us into Canada.
Ask the aboriginals if they had the privilege of being able to choose.

You're right it was by choice that my parents moved to Canada, just like some friends from Afghanistan, Sarajevo, and Vietnam....what you fail to see is that not all migrants uprooted their lives for the sake of capital gain, but for the mere right to exist. Through some of our eyes, the plight of Native Americans is a step up from where we originated from. No offense was intended in the comments I made....It was just to point out that no matter how bad they think they have it...there will always be others who have it worse.

Tangles

« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »

That's because the media too is bought and paid for by the liberal left wing agenda.
High five, finally someone gets it!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »

Getting sympathetic coverage on this event was going to be tough from the get-go. I don't know that you have to jump straight to conspiracy :P

Reporters have to reduce an issue to a couple of minutes for broadcast. They get a couple of sound bites from each side: on one side you have an angler who says "Our access to salmon is limited and we'd like that changed. We can increase rec access to salmon without harming at-risk stocks" and on the other you have a DFO-type saying "The runs this year are historically low. We've been working on enforcement and conservation."

The average person probably can't name a salmon species besides Sockeye. How can the media be expected to convey the nuances of this issue in a 2-minute segment?

Reminds me of when the RCMP retroactively banned the 25-round Butler Creek mags for the Ruger 10/22. They'd been legal for years and they became illegal suddenly and without notice because the mags could be used in a newer handgun. Except there were very few of these particular handguns in Canada and the mag had been made for the rifle; the pistol (I forget the name now) happened to take the 10/22 mags and it would have been illegal to use the mags with the pistol anyways! There was an argument to be made that the banning was arbitrary, capricious, and unfair but good luck complaining to anyone outside of a range or sporting goods store. The public didn't understand or care... they just heard armed weirdos complaining about not being able to put enough bullets in their guns  ::)

Robert_G

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember on the morning of the election CNN blatantly aired that the POLLS stated that Hilary Clinton was either 95% or 98% chance of winning the election. NO ONE can be that off. Everyone with a brain knows it was a 'hopeful' left wing tactic to get republicans to give up and stay home and not bother to vote.
CNN, CBC...etc.etc is so guilty of fake news.....its ridiculous...they've all been caught several times and 99 times out of 100, the fake news favors the left wing progressive agenda....
You have to be blind to not see it.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »

I may not see it but you're seeing it everywhere. I'll leave you to it.

(I like that your profile pic is Magic the Gathering art, btw. I'm a big fan of the game!)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2017, 09:36:33 PM »

I poked around the Global website just now but couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link?
here you go.http://globalnews.ca/video/3715238/sports-anglers-protest-sockeye-fishery-crackdown

kevzabob

« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »

I guess its serious when they bring in the coast guard cutter. LoL. Sounds like from the DFOs perspective they don't plan on opening the Fraser this year. Has a full closure ever happened in history?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »

No DFO shown up. Nobody been handcuffed. 

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2017, 11:00:29 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember on the morning of the election CNN blatantly aired that the POLLS stated that Hilary Clinton was either 95% or 98% chance of winning the election. NO ONE can be that off. Everyone with a brain knows it was a 'hopeful' left wing tactic to get republicans to give up and stay home and not bother to vote.
CNN, CBC...etc.etc is so guilty of fake news.....its ridiculous...they've all been caught several times and 99 times out of 100, the fake news favors the left wing progressive agenda....

Everyone with a brain knows Hillary is spelled with two L not one. And btw cnn never predicted her to win by 95%, not sure where you dug that lie up from? They did predict her ahead in the polls by a small amount. And guess what? She won the popular vote, meaning the majority of Muricans wanted her to be president. You really know whats ridiculous? That any folks north of the border believe a single word the sick elderly white supremacist trump utters, after all he has proven himself a serial/pathological liar numerous times...

And for whats its worth I support the protest fishery 100 %, and thank those willing to help make a change. I have had a few of my own "protests" already and will likely have more. 8)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:04:21 PM by lucky »

Drewhill

« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »

Glad to hear a lot of people showed up and were willing to put their necks on the line for this but I really wish they would have worked on their message. It came across as bar fishermen don't target sockeye. Like I said in an earlier post, DFO and government knows this so that's nothing new. The bigger issue is where sport fishermen stand. We're at the bottom of the totem pole. Currently, if there's not enough fish for a FN opening and commercial opening then there's no chance for a rec opening. If the message today was sport fishermen should have an opening even if commercial and FN don't have one and have the facts to back up that sport fishermen have little effect on salmon stocks then I think more people would be behind them.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2017, 06:57:37 AM »

So what was the end result fish catch summary? Even though the Demonstration was only targeting Steelhead, Trout and Char, I wasn't surprised Global showed footage of what appeared to be a nice Chinook being released.

Any evidence of the alien Atlantic Salmon up the river yet?

Robert_G

« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »

Everyone with a brain knows Hillary is spelled with two L not one.

You know you've got nothing when the first thing you point out is a spelling error. And yes CNN did post those numbers. I'm pretty sure NBC did too.