Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River  (Read 59308 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »

From the organizers

Some key points & messages:

We officially support the demo fishery at one location only (back end of Wellington)

We have no influence or control of what happens on balance of river

We closely monitor fishery at Wellington (C&R  Bar fishing only  fish kept in the water)

We cooperate with First Nations if in area.

We are not targeting any species

WE ARE DEMONSTRATING THAT WE CAN FISH TRULY SELECTIVELY FOR OTHER SPECIES & AVOID SOCKEYE (This is key message & intent of the fishery)

Refer  media questions to spokespeople (Fred or Rod)

We will ensure we have people at both Wellington & Island 22 to provide control & directions

All participants will be given info sheet for recording & brochure. They must understand rules of the day.

If asked by DFO what they are fishing for they can say trout. Steelhead stamp not required on Fraser  when fishing for other species.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »

they do not.

Socially & culturally they do not.

If one chooses to isolate themselves from the fabric of contemporary society because of the past then that's on them...but to use the misdeeds of our forefathers as leverage (to gain advantage over other groups) when you're also benefiting from present day opportunities (allotted by the very society you despise) is pure hypocrisy.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »

From the organizers

This statement should be omitted from your criteria because you're trying to convey that you can successfully fish selectively... by saying you're not targeting any species sounds loose at best, if not interpreted as deceitful or uncontrolled in its intent.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »

If one chooses to isolate themselves from the fabric of contemporary society because of the past then that's on them...but to use the misdeeds of our forefathers as leverage (to gain advantage over other groups) when you're also benefiting from present day opportunities (allotted by the very society you despise) is pure hypocrisy.

No, it is  the white man who has isolated them, perpetuating the cycle of poverty, social stigma, alcohol and drug addiction that run rampant in many aboriginal communities - afflictions unknown to them until the arrival of the white man.

And what benefits are you talking about? Living on reserves? Scant salmon openings? Please enlighten me because I have no clue.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »

From the organizers

We closely monitor fishery at Wellington (C&R  Bar fishing only  fish kept in the water)

We officially support the demo fishery at one location only (back end of Wellington)

We have no influence or control of what happens on balance of river
We cooperate with First Nations if in area.

WE ARE DEMONSTRATING THAT WE CAN FISH TRULY SELECTIVELY FOR OTHER SPECIES & AVOID SOCKEYE (This is key message & intent of the fishery)

Refer  media questions to spokespeople (Fred or Rod)

We will ensure we have people at both Wellington & Island 22 to provide control & directions

All participants will be given info sheet for recording & brochure. They must understand rules of the day.

If asked by DFO what they are fishing for they can say trout. Steelhead stamp not required on Fraser  when fishing for other species.

Sorry but this is total BS. "We are not targeting any species..." , "if asked by DFO what they are fishing for they can say trout. Steelhead stamp not required on Fraser  when fishing for other species"...WTF, really?, if that's what your telling participants you guys are asking the masses to outright lie, plain and simple, you know that is a lie and so does anyone that participates, you state you want to prove selective fishing for salmon other than Sockeye, the gear your using and methods are for salmon, salmon are closed. Anyone targeting salmon are fishing illegally, your breaking the law, period.

"We have no influence or control of what happens on balance of river", what???, worried you may have others taking advantage of your protest fishery and don't want to associated with it...you are asking people to fish illegally...I hope it comes back and bites you in the rear end.

Wrong way to try and get your message out...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:18:46 PM by minnie-me »

4TheKids

« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »

Your words are without meaning. You have not had your way of life taken away from you.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »

No, it is  the white man who has isolated them, perpetuating the cycle of poverty, social stigma, alcohol and drug addiction that run rampant in many aboriginal communities - afflictions unknown to them until the arrival of the white man.

And what benefits are you talking about? Living on reserves? Scant salmon openings? Please enlighten me because I have no clue.

When my parents came over from the old country 50 years ago they had no social services to rely on, no ESL, and no health benefits....nothing! They were ridiculed for being a minority even though they were well educated. They had to take on multiple menial jobs because their university degrees were attained from a third world country and it took them a decade to scrape up enough money to afford themselves suitable housing and reaffirm their degrees. This while raising 4 very young children. This while white neighbours scolded them for moving into their complex and their children bullying my siblings and I as part of their playtime. Living on the level of poverty that can only be described as third world in a first world nation.....Was it fair? No.... but that's what my parents endured to make a better life for their family.

My father use to tell me..."you're only to blame if you do nothing to better yourself in life, you can be victimize and still flourish or spend your life as a prisoner of resentment"

4TheKids

« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »

When my parents came over from the old country 50 years ago they had no social services to rely on, no ESL, and no health benefits....nothing! They were ridiculed for being a minority even though they were well educated. They had to take on multiple menial jobs because their university degrees were attained from a third world country and it took them a decade to scrape up enough money to afford themselves suitable housing and reaffirm their degrees. This while raising 4 very young children. This while white neighbours scolded them for moving into their complex and their children bullying my siblings and I as part of their playtime. Living on the level of poverty that can only be described as third world in a first world nation.....Was it fair? No.... but that's what my parents endured to make a better life for their family.

My father use to tell me..."you're only to blame if you do nothing to better yourself in life, you can be victimize and still flourish or spend your life as a prisoner of resentment"

So why do you victimize other victims?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2017, 10:48:02 PM »

Your words are without meaning. You have not had your way of life taken away from you.

You can't change the past, but in turn, can't live as a prisoner of resentment. That's a major stumbling block that disallows you to progress in life.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2017, 10:49:49 PM »

So why do you victimize other victims?

How am I victimizing others when I'm merely stating facts?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2017, 11:39:43 PM »

Much of what your folks went through has been a reality for most immigrants settling in Canada, myself included. And that was a scant 18 years ago.
But we did it BY CHOICE. No one put a gun against our heads and forced us into Canada.
Ask the aboriginals if they had the privilege of being able to choose.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »

my friend you have it backwards & are grossly misrepresenting the facts & history. Your parents chose to come here. FN people were here before anyone else came. Once other people from Europe came agreements were made & alliances formed, land title surrendered in exchange for specific rights of access to resources. It wasn't just fish either.

As far as "misdeeds of our fathers". Governments don't cease to be after an election results in a new party. It's responsibilities under the law stay the same.

FWIW my parents came here as foreigners too & faced discrimination. I had the experience myself. My father had skills that were not recognized once he got here. My parents together built a new life much your family.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2017, 08:01:49 AM »

You can't change the past, but in turn, can't live as a prisoner of resentment. That's a major stumbling block that disallows you to progress in life.

Excellent points, but unfortunately if you want to be part of this forum, you have to understand that it's infested with bleeding heart liberal left wingers....

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »

I wonder however is the future of this special treatment. The destruction of the Natives lives and culture happened in the past - many generations down, far removed from any of us of people alive today. No one should own the Earth and forever have special rights

While I understand your point and think it will be interesting to see how "native rights" evolve has FN people take a larger part in Canadian society. I want to say that in my life time I have seen and experienced what you describe as far removed from any of us alive today. For FN people born on isolated reserve with facilities and services typical of 3rd and 4th world countries, far removed from educational and employment opportunities it is still very real and a part of their everyday lives.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »

For FN people born on isolated reserve with facilities and services typical of 3rd and 4th world countries, [...] it is still very real and a part of their everyday lives

I believe that every Canadian has a right to safe, clean water. That's not happening on many reserves:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bad-water-third-world-conditions-on-first-nations-in-canada-1.3269500

"If this was in a town or municipality somewhere else, the news would be all over this," said Derrick Gould, an outgoing band councillor from Pinaymootang​."

I believe that every Canadian has a right to live in a home free from mould and other dangerous allergens. Also not happening on many reserves:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mould-plagues-first-nations-reserves-uvic-study-1.758789

"The UVic researchers suggest that a long history of removing aboriginal people from their traditional homes and placing them on reserves has degraded their economic power and left them dependent on Ottawa for survival."

When I see posts talking about how the solution is to just treat everyone equally, I think they have a good point. But I also think we should talk about big issues like water quality and safe housing before we start looking at less important things like fishing rights.