Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5.4 Kilogram Kokanee  (Read 7233 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: 5.4 Kilogram Kokanee
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »

I had fresh pinks swimming around my ankles in 6 inches of water while I am casting into a river.  Why do I even bother casting when I can just pick it up?

Well, we can only hope it's because you enjoy the sporting aspect of it. If not, if you are only out there to harvest them, buying them in your local supermarket is much much much much cheaper in the long run. ::)

Ambassador

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »

FWIW if this was illegal - why hasn't he been charged based on his public statement?

Darn good question. I'd like to know. It sends out the wrong message to people that grabbing fish with their bare hands is acceptable behavior. No different to snagging in my opinion.

Maybe they were just hypnotized by his story -
"and, because he had forgotten his net, reached in with two hands" (really? - Who forgets their net on a boat?)
"But when Woodcox reached down — placing one hand under the tail, one near the head" (ever so gently - didn't he think the fish was dead?)
"Woodcox shared much of the smoked fish with his neighbours, as he usually does" (does his benevolence make up for a seemingly illegal catch?)
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »

Well, we can only hope it's because you enjoy the sporting aspect of it. If not, if you are only out there to harvest them, buying them in your local supermarket is much much much much cheaper in the long run. ::)
To Clarify, I was not casting at the fish swimming at my ankles.  They happened to be there while I was casting in the middle of the river. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:27:57 PM by fic »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »

Always wondered if you would get in trouble for picking up a "floater" while fishing for sturgeon during salmon season.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:10 PM »

Hey, you and I fish that same spot lol, I remember that rock  ;D.

Ambassador

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »

Hey, you and I fish that same spot lol, I remember that rock  ;D.
Hahaha! A beauty of a rock in the perfect spot - among the seals, bears and eagles. See you there next weekend!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »

Well, I don't know about in Canada, but in the US, a person's confession isn't enough to sustain criminal charges - there must be some additional evidence of a crime.  And the defense would be pretty simple - people tell fish stories all the time.  Now if there was a video . . .

hmm additional evidence; there is a photo; there is genetic evidence and here was a 2nd person there when he retrieved the fish.

Personally I can't see why people get so twisted out of whack over is that illegal or not. I've taken a dying fish myself - legal fish. I'd rather do that than leave it to rot. Didn't take anything over my limit. The fish were dying from visible wounds - bleeding gills. It made a nice meal.

I'd also bet Provincial CO office doesn't see it as worth their while to bother.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »

hmm additional evidence; there is a photo; there is genetic evidence and here was a 2nd person there when he retrieved the fish.

Personally I can't see why people get so twisted out of whack over is that illegal or not. I've taken a dying fish myself - legal fish. I'd rather do that than leave it to rot. Didn't take anything over my limit. The fish were dying from visible wounds - bleeding gills. It made a nice meal.

I'd also bet Provincial CO office doesn't see it as worth their while to bother.

It may not be worth their while to prosecute, but it's still illegal.
"leave it to rot" is probably the most valuable thing you can do with a dying salmon. Feed the ecosystem for the next generation.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »

It may not be worth their while to prosecute, but it's still illegal.

well I know such cases have gone to court and the judge found for the defendant. It will depend on the facts of an individual case if a citation is issued and contested.

There is also a procedure in BC to claim found road kill: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/road_kill.html

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »

His next meal he found on the sidewalk.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?