Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5.4 Kilogram Kokanee  (Read 7175 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: 5.4 Kilogram Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »

http://mountainculturegroup.com/castlegar-man-catches-the-worlds-largest-kokanee-and-eats-it/

"The staff at Mountain Culture Group just heard from fish biologist Matt Neufeld of BC’s Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations regarding the DNA test of a fish that was landed on Lower Arrow Lakes. The results confirmed that the fish in question was indeed a Kokanee salmon. Other testing revealed the Kokanee was seven years old and weighed 12.1 pounds (5.4 kg). That’s almost three pounds bigger than the Kokanee caught by Ron Campbell of Pendleton, Oregon, on Wallowa Lake in 2010, which is the official world record according to the International Game Fish Association.
Despite the DNA confirmation, Denis will never be awarded with an official designation because, well, he ate the results"

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »

Hmm, picking up that fish with bare hands without using a hook seems kind of illegal.  The fish didn't bite.

ribolovac02

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »

This story just makes me puke , litteraly , what people do  , just to be in books that they cought the biggest fish....

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:24 AM »

"I don't think that's a rainbow"... ya. Little late for fish ID.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:16:30 AM »

Hmm, picking up that fish with bare hands without using a hook seems kind of illegal.  The fish didn't bite.

likely not illegal.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »

likely not illegal.
I had fresh pinks swimming around my ankles in 6 inches of water while I am casting into a river.  Why do I even bother casting when I can just pick it up?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »

When in doubt: 
ALLOWABLE FISHING METHODS
Although angling is the most popular form of
sport fishing in British Columbia, there are
other methods that you can use to take fish.
Your basic fishing licence entitles you to:
angle … fish (with or without a rod) with
one fishing line to which only one hook,
one artificial lure OR one artificial fly is
attached.

down-rig … angling with a downrigger is
permitted, provided the fishing line is
attached to the downrigger by a quickrelease
mechanism.
ice fish … with one line and one lure,
artificial fly or other terminal attractor.
It is your legal responsibility to warn
other people of the existence of your ice
hole and remove your ice hut before ice
breakup.
set line … you may only fish with a set line
(an unattended line) in lakes of Region 6
& in lakes of Zone A of Region 7. You are
allowed to use only one line with one hook
(no smaller than 3 cm from point to shank
- see below). Any game fish that you
catch other than burbot must be released.
Set lines must be marked with angler’s
name, address and telephone number.
Set Line Hook
(shown 1/2 size)
spear fish … means to fish with a spear or
an arrow that is propelled by a spring, an
elastic band, compressed air, a bow or by
hand. Only non-game fish (such as carp)
may be speared, except burbot which may
also be speared in Regions 3, 5, 6, 7 and
8. No spear fishing of any other game fish
(as defined on page 96), pacific salmon or
protected species (page 10) is permitted
anywhere in B.C. No spear fishing of any
kind is permitted in Region 1, 2 and 4.
trap crayfish … with any number or size of
traps for personal consumption. You must
release all fin fish caught in your trap.
To help sustain crayfish populations, you
should release any crayfish that are less
than 9 cm in total length as well as those
bearing eggs or young.
All other methods of taking fin fish and
crayfish are illegal.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »

well I would say that as the fish was dead or near dead, the rules of angling don't apply. If it had been seen by a CO I think there is a good probability he'd have been charged. However it's also a good probability if contested, it would be tossed in court since the courts have found angling regulations don't apply to situations like this that may be considered windfalls; a piece of unexpected and unlikely good fortune.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »

well I would say that as the fish was dead or near dead, the rules of angling don't apply. If it had been seen by a CO I think there is a good probability he'd have been charged. However it's also a good probability if contested, it would be tossed in court since the courts have found angling regulations don't apply to situations like this that may be considered windfalls; a piece of unexpected and unlikely good fortune.
I can see his defense in court now. I made the whole story up by buying a Sockeye at Superstore and took a picture of it at the Lake.   ;D
The angle of the camera made it look bigger than it actually is.

Ambassador

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »

If the "rules of angling don't apply" as the fish was dead or near dead, but "there is a good probability he'd have been charged if a CO saw him" - then the rules DO apply. Would you have taken the risk? Be interesting to see some precedent setting cases here. Personally I don't see how this is different to reaching down and plucking salmon out of the water with your bare hands - which I was told once could lead to a "molesting a fish" charge from a CO (maybe someone can confirm?).

I had fresh pinks swimming around my ankles in 6 inches of water while I am casting into a river.  Why do I even bother casting when I can just pick it up?
Yeah it wouldn't be hard to do. They use me as a breakwater often ;-)

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »

yeah well grabbing a fish that is swimming by isn't what might be called a windfall.

FWIW if this was illegal - why hasn't he been charged based on his public statement?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »

yeah well grabbing a fish that is swimming by isn't what might be called a windfall.

FWIW if this was illegal - why hasn't he been charged based on his public statement?
Well, I don't know about in Canada, but in the US, a person's confession isn't enough to sustain criminal charges - there must be some additional evidence of a crime.  And the defense would be pretty simple - people tell fish stories all the time.  Now if there was a video . . .

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »

Who eats something that is found dead or nearly dead?  That is some weird ish man.

What if it was carrying some sort of disease?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »

Who eats something that is found dead or nearly dead?  That is some weird ish man.

There are other uses like sturgeon bait, or the body for garden fertilizer/dog food, and the roe for bait (yes, people justify harvesting a zombie chum for this reason all the time).

Under the wording of the regs quoted by WAfishboy I would think you cannot just wade into the slack water and grab your daily limit of dying or dead fish. At minimum you have to use some sort of hook and line (even a handline) and make some pretense of hooking it somewhere around the mouth**.

Another thing is that presumably you cant harvest a dead fish if it's currently closed for retention. ie. you could not grab a moldy sockeye floating by as sturgeon bait if that water was closed for sockeye at the time even though that carcass clearly has absolutely no value otherwise.

** A funny story on this topic. Last year on the Vedder a guy retains a chum. A while later he catches another beauty doe chum and bonks that one too (over the limit). Fishermen around start giving him a hard time, and one was apparently an off duty cop and goes up to Mr Poacher, asks for his license and gives him the business for a few minutes and makes him dump the extra chum into the river. Mr Poacher packs up and leaves but the extra chum eventually floats it way back to the rivers edge. One guy who watched the whole thing goes up to the chum, hooks it in the mouth and drags it the last two feet onto the bank and retains it.

We all kind of laughed at the absurdity of the whole incident and discussed it, and yes, if he had just gone up and grabbed it would have been against the regs, but making at least some effort of hooking it in the mouth first made it perfectly legit, if not a bit weird.