Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Lions 2017  (Read 28545 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: BC Lions 2017
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2017, 10:20:30 PM »

Lions lose big time to the Argos.
Lions Win or lose go home & Argos win means they get 1st place & a bye in the east.
Argos from QB to whatever position played intense.
Now it's play off time in the CFL.
Riders lose to Edmonton. Thus Riders cross over & play in the east.
Maybe not so cold out there like the prairies is at the moment.
Cold freeze in Alberta Sk & Manitoba.
Why they did not put a retractable roof on the two new stadiums is beyond me.
( Regina & Winnipeg )
Plus on Friday it looked like only 1000 fans left with 5 minutes to go in Calgary.
Cold windy ...why Alberta does not have retractable roofs ????
With all their oil money they made in the past ( & now ) ????
Icy snowy fields & cold seats for fans...unreal.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2017, 01:26:20 AM »

Lions were pathetic tonight. Totally outplayed. Cold outside the stadium but comfortable inside.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2017, 09:43:04 AM »

Lions were pathetic tonight. Totally outplayed. Cold outside the stadium but comfortable inside.
Well said.
Between the White Caps zero offence in their playoff game to the Lions near zero offence all that comes to mind is:
Skunk cabbage. ;D
( maybe somebody (s) want coaches to be fired ...can't fire all the players )
In comparison Canucks / Leafs = red roses.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »

In comparison Canucks / Leafs = red roses.

Correction: Canucks=Roses / Laughs=Thorns

arimaBOATER

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2017, 06:35:27 PM »

Correction: Canucks=Roses / Laughs=Thorns
Ouch !
Remember that song about "Wear flowers in your hair when you come to San Francisco"
FA would of had the lyrics a bit dif.
"Wear thorns in your hair when ya come to San Francisco"
Lions & White Caps last games surely were a "thorn in the butt" for well paying fans.
I must of paid about 50 cents on my Telus tv bill watching those two games.
Maybe 25 cents.
Telus bill divided in all the monthly tv programs watched.
My hard earned 25 cents watching those disappointing games.
Feel sorry for die hard Lion fans who made the effort to go to the stadium to cheer them on.
100x more sorry for any soccer fan who went to Seattle to cheer on the Whitecaps.
Zero offence. They stayed back the entire game & played D.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2017, 07:16:10 AM »

I doubt if I'll renew my Lions tickets if Wally is still here next year. I've got great seats in the alumni section courtesy of a friend that played in the league a few decades ago. I only pay 50% of face value, but when I see a team playing at 20%, well you get the picture. The winds, no, a tornado of change need to blow through the organization over the foreseeable future or there's going to be even fewer buns in the seats for next year. Status quo isn't an option.   
http://

arimaBOATER

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »

I doubt if I'll renew my Lions tickets if Wally is still here next year. I've got great seats in the alumni section courtesy of a friend that played in the league a few decades ago. I only pay 50% of face value, but when I see a team playing at 20%, well you get the picture. The winds, no, a tornado of change need to blow through the organization over the foreseeable future or there's going to be even fewer buns in the seats for next year. Status quo isn't an option.   
The Lions were so up & down this year. They play so good against Winnipeg in an away game & then at home against the Argos they really stink out the place like a giant fart.
Even Wally at half time said it was embarrassing on how they are playing.
Wally I think is too laid back to take out the whip.
Sometimes that's what players need. A kick in the butt.
Play a stinker game then give them very hard practises during the week should wake these guys up.
Hard drills push ups sit ups run up & down the field...
Imagine the coaches in Calgary & Edmonton would react if their team played like that.
They would have no voice left by half time as they would be screaming at the sidelines.
Did you see the Edmonton coach yell at one of his assit. coaches when a bad decision was made?
He was just screaming at the guy... all caught on tv.
Players see that & Edmonton players do not dare slack off.
They know their coach demands they perform "OR ELSE" face the music.

Do not like to see players / assit. coaches who are adults being chewed out as one would hope they do their job without the strong hand of the coach.
But fans like yourself who take the time to support them & get to the game want to see total effort.
Lions last game the players seemed to just go thru the motions.
Run away game.
Plus the game plan was as FA said in past posts " predictable "
Toronto screen plays racked up a lot of yards. They must of called 7-8 screen plays at least & good yards every time. Why because they set up the plays with their prior calls.
QB throws 4-5 times down field from the pocket for yardage then he calls a screen. He goes back in the pocket & looks down field for three seconds like it's going to be another pass down field. Then he turns quick & passes the screen. Bang 10 or more yds or more....
Lions tried to do screens & get tackled for 3 -4 yards ?????
Why? Because QB drops back & then within a moment throws it. Defense reads it & makes the tackle.
Toronto timing was perfect & Lions timing was off. Jennings got rid of the ball too quickly. Argos QB waits longer & sees the D commit to cover receivers down field & then throws the screen. D has a lot of ground to cover to make the tackle.
Teams in the west are very good & if so team wants to make the play offs they will have to get wins.
Bombers Stamps Esks Rough Riders make the play offs ( cross over )
Lonely Lions only team not to make it.
The leader ( head coach. ) has to set the tone  & definitely this was not the case with the Lions.
Hockey teams after losses can get a W quickly to rid the bad feelings ( play 3-4 games weekly ) but a football team who loses has to think about it for a week.
Then if they lose another game even by a few pts still is a loss so now they dwell for 14 or more days on a loss. Then it snow balls. Heavy on the mind.
That's when coaches have to crack the whip & get these guys to fly & react when that ball is snapped.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:21:47 PM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2017, 03:23:04 PM »

Been a season ticket holder since the days of Peanut Butter Joe, Willie Fleming, Nub Beamer and Sonny Homer. David Braley and Wally Buono has done many wonderful things for this franchise. Since the passing of Bob Ackles, attendance was been dwindling. The Lions marketing plain and simple totally sucks. Instead of building their fan base with lower prices they instead increase the price of previously lower prices in the corner and end zones. I concur we need a complete overhaul of the organization. Unfortunately that won't happen for at least another year. Braley has committed to being the owner for 2018 which translate into another year of Buono and his coaching staff. Unless we see new blood in the organization, the fan base will continue to dwindle.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2017, 08:16:03 PM »

As disappointed as Lions fans are the list just got bigger. Two home teams flopped & lose in the semi finals.
Ottawa lost to SK Roughriders ( in the past we could say the Roughriders beat the Roughriders ...imagine both teams were the Roughriders & how crazy is that. Like saying the Vancouver Canucks & the Toronto Canucks or Toronto Maple Leafs & the Vancouver Maple Leafs  ;D )
Plus Winnipeg lost to Edmonton.
So....fans are super pooped & pissed in Ottawa & Winnipeg. Have reason to booze it up for the loss or win. This time a loss.
Sets up some very good games next week.
TO vs SK in Toronto & Edmonton vs Stamps in Calgary.
All 4 teams are very focused & truly want to be the top dog & hoist the Grey Cup in 2017.
Stamps I guess feel they deserve it with the overall best record but any of these teams can & will go all the way to the top. My guess is either Esk or Riders.   

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2017, 12:06:38 AM »

With the rain this afternoon, it was a perfect to stay home and watched playoff football.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »

With the rain this afternoon, it was a perfect to stay home and watched playoff football.
Nothing worst than watching a sporting event when the weather is nice outside.
Two semi final games equals 6 hrs in front of the boob tube.
Amazing how technology tv IPads computers smart phones internet texting email on & on has taken the many hours of our interest & time.
Case & point I'm posting.
Maybe Pres. Trump is Twittering right now.
Too bad Winnipeg did not have a roof over heir stadium.
20,000 at the game Below freezing.
I remember BC Place had 40 thousand plus at the BC Lion games in the 80s.
Mere Swerven Franandez plus other colourful players...Matthews as coach.
Winnipeg players looked more affected by the weather than Edmonton.
Glad the Esks won because they are the better team. It will be a very physical game in Calgary. At least the game in Edmonton was two wks ago between them. A lot of hard hard hits.
But it just may be very cold weather in Calgary & winds which could play a big part in the game.
Who ever can stay on their feet better & hold on to the ball.
Very bad icy field & cold wind takes away the better team advantage.
Just ask Ron Lancaster in his playing days. Lost in so many Grey Cups and the field was super icy on & on...