Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Double Hook for Kokanee Fishing?  (Read 7131 times)

Birkenhead

Double Hook for Kokanee Fishing?
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »

I was reading this BC focused article: http://bcfishn.com/kokanee-fishing-101/ and it shows a double (trailing) hook setup for Kokanee fishing.

Also their YT video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6bgjBPlN0 shows the same setup. However I cannot see in the BC freshwater regs where a double hook setup is legal as it is clearly written as:

angle … fish (with or without a rod) with
one fishing line to which only one hook,
one artificial lure OR one artificial fly is
attached.

Am I mistaken in the regs wording or is the webpage and video (which again - is BC focused) incorrect in using a double hook setup for fishing in BC?

fisherforever

Re: Double Hook for Kokanee Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:56:04 PM »

Not mistaken. I pointed out to them last year advertising a chumming product and how to use it here

rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »

I'm glad I saw this.  I'm going to have to go and cut some hooks off my lures.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »

I was out again last night.  A trailing hook would do wonders if it were legal.  Must have gone 10:1 bites to hookups.  If  not worse.

slava

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:43 PM »

A double (trailing) or triple hook is part of one fly or one lure. Regulations don't set restrictions about using hooks with more than one point on flies or lures in lakes (by the way, regulations pointed out that it is unlawful to use a hook with more than one point in any river, stream, creek or slough). So, one line to which one fly with two hooks are attached is an allowable setup. 

Birkenhead

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »

A double (trailing) or triple hook is part of one fly or one lure. Regulations don't set restrictions about using hooks with more than one point on flies or lures in lakes (by the way, regulations pointed out that it is unlawful to use a hook with more than one point in any river, stream, creek or slough). So, one line to which one fly with two hooks are attached is an allowable setup.

Do you have a link to the above info?

BC Fishing Regs also mention.

artificial fly … a single-pointed hook that is dressed only with fur, feathers, hair, textiles, tinsel and/or wire, and to which no external
weight or external attracting device is attached. Two or more hooks tied in tandem is not permitted.

slava

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »

Yes, you right. Thanks.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 10:54:44 PM »

Good example of not believing everything you read on a forum regulation wise!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Fisher_dude

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »

A trailing hook is 100% legal. The part you quoted from the regs is correct except you have interpreted it wrong. The One hook rule does not apply to a Lure. If it did, you wouldn't be able to fish a Lyman with 2 hooks on it. Most of us use micro hootchie with beads and some sort of a spinning blade. This is a Lure and therefore, you are able to run tandem hooks. The single hook applies to situations like fishing a roe bag and stuff like that.

DannyCoyne

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »

Hi Guys! ....  Danny here from BCFishn.com

I spoke with Rod Hsu (Fishing with Rod) about this thread and we both agreed it was best I jump in and reply to this thread to help better understand this regulation. I love when discussions like this come up because it provides all of us anglers to help educate each other.

Long story short, using a trailing hook on a Kokanee Lure is a legal method of fishing in BC if the regulation doesn't read single barbless hook. If the regulation is single barbless hook this can be interpreted differently between Ministry CO's and DFO, which is a whole different discussion, but I personally just run one hook in these single hook fisheries.

To get back to the question " Is a Double Hook on a Kokanee lure legal when the regulations DOESN'T STATE single barbless?" Because the hooks come together to make up a single lure they are considered to be part of the lure and is a legal method. I have confirmed this with Ministry officials such as Conservation Officers, and even DFO officers. In fact, I've fished with ministry staff using this method before.

I hope this helps to clarify this regulation for everyone. My recommendation is if you have a question about fishing regulations is to contact our BC Conservation Officers. In BC we have a team of excellent COs that are always willing to help understand regulations and to clarify the wording.

Tight lines everyone and have a great weekend of fishing! :)   
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:07:23 PM by DannyCoyne »

rootbeer

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »

Thanks Danny   :D

That clears things up. 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »

Awesome, thanks for this.

Time to pick up a couple of things like this;

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »

That's weird because the old timers trolling Lyman Lures at Sheridan all have to cut off one of the hooks.
They must be talking to a different CO.

Fisher_dude

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »

Well, they are ruining their lures. I have an email from Jeff Burrows , a senior fish biologist for Fish and Wildlife BC that will set every one straight. Just have to figure out how to post it. Gimme a minute.

Fisher_dude

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »