Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video: Steelhead smolt release, hatchery volunteers needed  (Read 5276 times)

Jk47

Jk47

Re: Video: Steelhead smolt release, hatchery volunteers needed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »

I've been helping as much as I can at my local hatchery lately, and not only is it a lot of fun and a rewarding experience, but there is a huge need for young, strong recruits. From clipping fins to cleaning rearing channels, to releasing smolts, and in the fall bailing and counting returning salmon, there's always lots to do and a lot of these older folks who volunteer so much of their time are simply getting too old to do some of the more labour intensive duties. A lot of these folks don't even have any real vested interest in fishing or fish in general, they are just there because they enjoy it! We need young, enthusiastic blood to get out and offer some of their time, and I can't speak for the other hatcheries in the lower mainland but I'm sure it's the same everywhere. So please, if you're reading this and you've always thought of putting in some volunteer time at a hatchery, go take a visit and inquire. You can also p.m. me and I could put you in touch with someone at the hatchery. you'll have a lot of fun and as an avid angler you will be not only giving back to the fishery but also getting a lot more intimate with the system as well as the young fish you will later stalk. Thanks for reading - tight lines - Jason

Jk47

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 07:00:57 AM »

And, yes I know I forgot to turn the phone sideways for recording - AGAIN!!!

Jk47

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:16:19 AM »

I must say I'm kinda surprised and disappointed at the lack of interest in this thread. Almost 300 people viewed this post, not one response! Everyone wants to go catch fish and people will chat all day long about methods, strategies, and bait... or bitch about the lack of fish or the commercial openings and sport closures.. But, give people an opportunity to help put some fish back into the system and get involved and everyone clams up like Geoducks on a low tide!! Everyone wants to ask, " what did you catch that on?" Or "What river is that on?" But no one says, "I'd be interested in helping for a couple hours on Saturday..." Sad 😩

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »

I've noticed the same kind of apathy in the things I am involved with Jk47; people want but are unwilling to give.  A sign of the times I guess.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »

Without wanting to look like a johnny come lately - About 20 of those clicks were mine.  I was trying as hard as I could to move some things to make it work and kept checking back to see if there was a date or time change by fluke.

I have participated in a couple of shoreline clean up days this year, and looking for more ways to stay active in the community.  In fact, my employer has now granted us 'days of giving' where we get a full work day off each year to volunteer in a community program that is important to us.  As well, employees can organize their own day, and get other employees to join them for a half day.

I will keep an eye out for more things on the go with your group.  Don't let this be discouraging, heck, just look at the lack of posts in general around here.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 12:03:44 PM »

Don't let this be discouraging, heck, just look at the lack of posts in general around here.

So true ... this site has slowed down considerably while other forums, FlyBC for example, are flourishing.

Jk47

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »

Good on you Damien... I know you're a white rock guy and I actually thought of "tagging" you in this original post for that reason, but hoped you would be one to comment. Just drop by the hatchery on 184th on a Saturday a.m sometime if you want to help with volunteering and someone can get you going... just a couple hours here and there is appreciated! and  P.M. me sometime in the fall if you want to wet lines together!
Dave, I haven't been on this forum for more than a year but it is obvious how much you've done for our sport and conservation. Thank you. Your stories are always interesting and inspiring. Hope to meet you on the water or otherwise  someday.
-And ya, I know this forum is pretty dead this time of year - I thought it would be a perfect time to get people interested

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »

im assuming this is the semiahmoo hatchery that feeds the little campbell river. When i used to live in south surrey i helped out once in a while on my days off especially during the salmon season in october. Nice talking with Roy and the others. But i always found there were more than enough volunteers during the weekends. I guess things have changed since....

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »

Dave, I haven't been on this forum for more than a year but it is obvious how much you've done for our sport and conservation. Thank you. Your stories are always interesting and inspiring. Hope to meet you on the water or otherwise  someday.
-And ya, I know this forum is pretty dead this time of year - I thought it would be a perfect time to get people interested
Thanks for the support, and ... it is mutual. Most likely we won't meet fishing as I am done with that; more probable to catch up with you on some habitat restoration project somewhere in the LM.  Hope that happens and don't give up!  It's people like you (I'm guessing you are considerably younger than my 67 years) that keep old-timers like me, Pete, and Chris going ;)

Jk47

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »

Semiahmoo, yes.. there are many volunteers that do the regular maintenance kinda stuff like lawn mowing, etc but one thing I know they really need is strong backs bailing salmon in the fall. Sometimes they get hundreds of fish in a day when it rains, and if there's only one or two 70+ year old buggers there to do it it's extremely hard on them.
Fin clipping is also very hard for some people (standing for hours, poor eyesight, etc) but a very rewarding experience for us anglers - I like to imagine meeting these fish I hand clipped myself again in a couple years - next time at the end of my line!
And yes Dave I'm 40, still some catching up to do but starting to slow down and see the big picture a little better, I think! Thanks again

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »

Thanks, that was a cool video & I enjoyed watching it. How many fish were released?

That aren't that many community hatcheries & for many people it can be quite a commute to provide volunteer services.

I'd also mention that a sure way to turn people off the prospect of volunteering is to hector them for showing no interest.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:37:06 PM »

I'd also mention that a sure way to turn people off the prospect of volunteering is to hector them for showing no interest.
Bollocks.
What Jk47 has done is exactly what is needed to get them involved. As I said, it's my opinion far to many people are wanting the quick fix but are not ready to be a part of a solution to make that fix happen. A good example is how many Vedder River anglers (several thousand?) come out to the annual garbage cleanups ... I can tell you first hand it is not many.  Apologies to those that do; you know who you are ;)

Jk47

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 10:15:22 PM »

My intention was never to heckle or create controversy but rather to promote  conservation and community. I knew by commenting I'd put this thread back up top of a dead forum and at least get people thinking maybe. it all starts with a seed. On a side not, many times I've found myself wishing there was a 'like' option on this site (like Facebook) so we could show support for each other's posts without necessarily commenting.

Jk47

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 10:20:28 PM »

I think there was 40 000 or so, could be I have that confused with another number but that seems right