Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alouette 2017  (Read 42585 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Alouette 2017
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »

Still lots of action out there.  No problem limiting on Kokanee yesterday.  One cutty and also a nice bull trout landed by my partner;

That forum requires login to see pictures. Can you upload it somewhere else?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 12:00:38 PM »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »

Nice!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »

Awesome fish! what depth did u land the bull at? I have only ran into bulls around the narrows

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 12:33:22 AM »

30 feet on the rigger.  Temps were 14 degrees.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »

30 feet on the rigger.  Temps were 14 degrees.

I am hopping to get out to the lake this week. Winds to strong out in the chuck right now

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »

Out again this week, lots of bites but only kokanee to the boat, fished 6-9pm.  Water temps 22 degrees.  Tried a little for Bulls in a spot that will remain nameless where we've had success, but not this time. 

A couple of the kokanee were starting to show colour and were released.

A few bites close to the surface using an old chrome dodger to mini-g + shrimp with no weight.  Most other action was on the riggers 30-60ft.  Moved around, found schools (everywhere) on the sounder, dropped down, bang.

One of these times I'm gonna tough it out and only run bigger gear for a full day.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »

Out again this week, lots of bites but only kokanee to the boat, fished 6-9pm.  Water temps 22 degrees.  Tried a little for Bulls in a spot that will remain nameless where we've had success, but not this time. 

A couple of the kokanee were starting to show colour and were released.

A few bites close to the surface using an old chrome dodger to mini-g + shrimp with no weight.  Most other action was on the riggers 30-60ft.  Moved around, found schools (everywhere) on the sounder, dropped down, bang.

One of these times I'm gonna tough it out and only run bigger gear for a full day.

Where did you find the Kokanee thinking about going with all the wind out in the chuck?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »

They were literally everywhere.  We started trolling right out of the speed restricted zone in the middle of the lake.  Worked to the pilings, and north.  Then headed to the narrows and had action there as well.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »

Anyone out recently?

Just picked up a new/bigger boat.  Looking to get out soon!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 01:28:25 PM »

Was out on the weekend.  We limited without too much effort.  All on the riggers, 30-75ft.

I put on a large, Silver Horde Coho Killer without any bait to try avoid the kokes and get a big Bull, Rainbow or Cuttie.  Still caught kokanee on it.  I don't know how the hook fit in their mouth.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 02:32:09 PM »

Was out on the weekend.  We limited without too much effort.  All on the riggers, 30-75ft.

I put on a large, Silver Horde Coho Killer without any bait to try avoid the kokes and get a big Bull, Rainbow or Cuttie.  Still caught kokanee on it.  I don't know how the hook fit in their mouth.

I was planing on going out to sand heads Friday or to Alouette lake.  I still haven't had any luck getting kokanee this year but was only out before the hordes of ski boats showed. Only managed to get rainbows.

What type of flasher or you using, Wending band, dodger, ford fender?  have you tried running dummy flashers so u can have a nice fight without out the flasher

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »

Yeah, we use and are successful every which way.  Depending on the depth they are at and what seems to work.

- Bare line to a small mini-g with no weight, virtually on the surface.
- Dummy flasher and a lure (did this with the Silver Horde) on the downrigger.
- Inline flasher/dodger set-up (using a small dodger or skinny g) to a dicknite, wedding band or mini-G etc on the dowrigger or
  flatlining
- Wedding band with or without a split shot or two to get it down a litte.

I tend to try to get some bites/land some fish.  Then trim my gear as much as possible while still getting action.  Lighter is better, whenever possible.

The most go-to used rig is the light 3" or 4" Skinny G.  Just like the ones used in the local chuck, Outfitter, Irish Cream, Cop Car etc, doesn't really matter, used as the 'dodger' then 24" leader to a wedding band, small/trimmed hootchie, or miniG.  Usually with home brined shrimp ( I use a combination of UV FireBrine and that pink borax stuff) or a bit of worm.

Thats' about it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:55:58 PM by Damien »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »

Do you find that the Kokanee are any bigger than early season fish?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »

Yes, plumper and bit longer at this time of the year compared to this spring.

Going up to Chilliwack tomorrow and will see how they are doing up there.  Fun if I catch an actual sockeye by accident on my Kokanee specific UL rod.

Camping for the night, will be fishing tomorrow afternoon and first light on Sunday then off the water by noon.