Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Incident at Grassy Bar  (Read 8704 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Incident at Grassy Bar
« on: July 25, 2004, 07:26:30 PM »

Just got a report of a near drowning or drowning at Grassy Bar. Sounds like a First Nations fisher. Going to investigate now.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re:Incident at Grassy Bar
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 10:15:46 PM »

Got some info as I freelance for Global taking it to the station now for possible use on morning news. Will file a report later on after my trip to Vancouver tonight on what happened.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 01:12:02 AM »

Brifly from what I gather a First Nation fisher was by one report setting a drift net and got tangled up in it and flipped the boat with him being thrown into the water.

Another report said he was ripping in to shore then back out and then flipped his boat.

Some anglers that were anchored out from shore resued the person taking him to shore.

Chilliwack Search and Resue took him to Island 22 to a waiting ambulance that took him to hospital.

Global TV has the tape so they may use it on the morning news if the quality of the tape is news worthy and good enough.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 06:34:18 AM »

didnt see your story Chris but at least they showed the river

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 07:34:42 AM »

Yes Ray, they have not used it to date. A drive to Vancouver for nothing maybe but the donuts I picked up at North road were good. :D

Lots of talk about the new agreement to allow Native only fishing on the News today instead.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 10:32:01 AM »

Thanks for the report Chris. Glad to hear nobody was seriously injured

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 10:47:49 AM »

Yes Ray, they have not used it to date. A drive to Vancouver for nothing maybe but the donuts I picked up at North road were good. :D

Lots of talk about the new agreement to allow Native only fishing on the News today instead.

Chris..you were so close to my neck of the woods we could have gone out for coffee
Yes and I should have brought the video down which I thought of partway down but was in a rush to get it to global. The start of a hetic week.

Will most likely mail it to you .

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 09:44:42 PM »

Funny thing, I just ran into the guy who knows this guy (the native) From what he said the native man and a white man got in a verbal confrontation with each other when the privledged individual was setting his net. They were exchanging words out on the water with each other when the white man took his boat and plowed over the natives fibreglass boat destroying it. The native man fell into his net and got tangled up but took his knife he had on him and cut himself free. Appartently the white man is being charged with attempted murder.

otto

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 09:47:27 PM »

:o

thats some serious stuff......

i always carry a sharp knife with me when i'm hiking or on the water...you just never know.  cut a guy outta his waders a couple years back when he fell and snaggeg him self on a pile of trees in the cheackamus.....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 10:13:35 PM »

Funny thing, I just ran into the guy who knows this guy (the native) From what he said the native man and a white man got in a verbal confrontation with each other when the privledged individual was setting his net. They were exchanging words out on the water with each other when the white man took his boat and plowed over the natives fibreglass boat destroying it. The native man fell into his net and got tangled up but took his knife he had on him and cut himself free. Appartently the white man is being charged with attempted murder.
This is a new twist to this as I interviewed 4 different people on video and not one gave a discription of the events any where close to this including one of the witness's that was very close to the incident.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 10:44:23 PM »

I would tend to believe Chris' version of what happened.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 10:47:41 PM »

Believe what you want i'm just telling you what I heard from the guy who knows this individual.

Dynamite kid

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 08:17:17 AM »

Hey FF thats the problem with hallucinogens.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 02:32:24 PM »

If I were a native fisherman...what would sound better...uhm fell out my boat (drunk maybe) and almost died or whitey tried to run me down.

I think its a BS rumor designed to fuel the war on the fraser.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

Indeed, I am sure that guy would get a ton of flack...but seriously, someone running his boat down???  that sounds absurd to me, regardless of the situation.