Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clear drift and dne floats  (Read 13570 times)

jackie

Clear drift and dne floats
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »

Seems like nowadays everyone is slowly moving away from your basic dne floats and are beginning to almost exclusively use cleadrift, drennan, zeppler type floats.

However personally iv seen many great anglers such as rod toth who seem to use dne floats whenever and where ever....

Just wondering what you guys think. Does it really make a difference to spend another 4 bucks a float?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Clear drift and dne floats
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 12:14:52 AM »

I think its all in our minds. I feel more confident using clear drifts in clear waters. Usually using them for spooky coho. I haven't noticed my success go up or down between them or DNE. Steelhead I use green or white DNE floats no matter the conditions and still catch fish.
There's also the chunk of lead or split shot and swivel passing by the fishes face much closer then the float is. Some guys use high vis mainline and report no loss in success.
Someone here posted a video a few years back, (or just told us about it I can't remember) where they had taken an underwater video of a clear drift in sunny conditions and it was like a beacon of light shining through the float like a magnifying glass.

Like I said I can't say I've noticed a difference one way or another, the only difference in floats I've ever noticed is the increased  sensitivity the tapered floats give to subtle bites.

bobby b

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:32:34 AM »

I use all of em except for the foam 'dink' floats. I usually just  buy a couple of green,gray and white DNE floats when I run out ..but this salmon season was lucky enough to find quite a variety of cleardrift/drennan type floats as well as dne's at the river. Don't think I would spend $8 on a float but will gladly fish em for free:)

I have had success with all of em and in many types of water conditions...so far have not noticed any affect with colour/type to catch ratio.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:41:20 AM »

I gave up on the cleardrift cause they break so easily, and I've switched to the dink floats.

I got fed up with float stops and like having the float at a contains depth. I think the presentation actually gets working faster with them. It seemed to be a thing with the people that we're catching more fish, no sliding float, and I'm sure they weren't flossing...

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »

I peg my floats above and below with bobber stoppers to stop that from happening

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »

I pretty much exclusively use the grey foam DNE floats in 25 grams. 4 large split shot weights and the top barley sticks out of the water. Easy to see bites and I haven't even noticed an increase in hookups between using a clear drennan or cleardrift style float vs a foam DNE. It's the shape that you want, but DNE's are the same regardless in that aspect.

John Revolver

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »

I mostly use cigar shaped balsa floats as small and slim as possible.Maximum sensitivity is key for me. Steelheading is some serious Shi7 and I do not want to miss even the slightest of takes.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »

Between DNE vs Cleardrift vs Drennan vs Topshelf I really don’t think it matters either. I used cleardrift for quite a few seasons but have given up on them new now because they are so easy to break, crack, or start leaking for no apparent reason. Back to DNE now and never have to worry about them unless I break it off, which might happen only a few times per year, and cheaper as well.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:24:17 PM by DanL »

ShaunO

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »

I fish them all, and I've not noticed any difference.  What I can say is that dink floats are the easiest to trim for a perfect amount of buoyancy.  Thread em up with a worm needle and you're off and running.  Cheapest option of the bunch.

mikeyman

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 12:55:36 PM »

I used to really like the stealth floats i think they were called. Clear thin float needed rubber tube to put them on. Drifted really nice. Went under water with little resistence i found. I cant find them anymore. Think stopped making them.

Speyfitter

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »

Huge waste of money.

Walleye76

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »

DNE or balsa here, same as others I've used the Cleardroft in past but break way to easy especially in the cold of steelhead season...

tim3500

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:29:11 PM »

I have never found a difference but really hate buying bobber stops I haven't bought a bobber in 5 years find them every were just end up buying stops , Would be nice to find a Dink float once and a while to cut costs

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 05:55:28 PM »

I've only experienced water leaking into my Cleardrift once. No problem with them breaking.

mikeyman

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 06:19:03 PM »

I dont think they were a waste of money. Think they were only 1.99.