Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clear drift and dne floats  (Read 13693 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Clear drift and dne floats
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 06:19:48 PM »

I have never found a difference but really hate buying bobber stops I haven't bought a bobber in 5 years find them every were just end up buying stops , Would be nice to find a Dink float once and a while to cut costs

Use dacron nail knots on your mainline as a bobber stop. They don't slide, and they are visible so that you can see if your gear sunk or not (in the case of a poor cast/tangle). I started using orange dacron up top, and then 17 pound flouro as the bottom stop, because I once watched a steelhead eat my bottom orange bobber stop piece.

barky

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 06:41:18 PM »

I use whatever I have around . Right now I'm fishing 20 gram piker Drennans and I like them but they are pretty expensive at around 8 bucks a pop . There are knockoff Drennans available locally (Uncle Fred's or Fishon Floats) and they fish good too and are about half the price of a Drennan . I like them better than ClearDrifts . DNE are hard to beat though in terms of value as they are affordable and are sensitive if you balance the float with enough weight . I have not noticed any difference in hookups using clear floats vs foam for steelhead but I personally like the clear floats a bit better (mainly because I have a bag full of them at the moment lol) . What's more important than the float you use is your presentation . You can have the most expensive floats and terminal tackle , but if your presentation isn't good , the float you use will make no difference whatsoever .
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:46:16 PM by barky »

Birkenhead

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 07:18:12 PM »

I only use DNE floats with bobber stops and with pencil lead cut into various size lengths, depending on the river and water flow etc. Never been a big fan of split shot when river fishing.

Birkenhead

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »

I have never found a difference but really hate buying bobber stops I haven't bought a bobber in 5 years find them every were just end up buying stops , Would be nice to find a Dink float once and a while to cut costs

Regularly see Dink floats for sale at various local tackle shops, Canadian Tire, Army and Navy, Wholessalesports, Cabelas etc.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »

Use dacron nail knots on your mainline as a bobber stop. They don't slide, and they are visible so that you can see if your gear sunk or not (in the case of a poor cast/tangle). I started using orange dacron up top, and then 17 pound flouro as the bottom stop, because I once watched a steelhead eat my bottom orange bobber stop piece.

Toothpicks work

jackie

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »

It's interesting to see everyone's preference. I guess like most things in fishing it all comes down to what you have confidence in.

sbc hris

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »

I generally fish DNEs as well; I prefer grey. Used old foam dinks for years with no probs at all though. Clear floats are cool, but too fragile and expensive for myself.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »

Toothpicks work

But they suck when you have to fish 10+ feet deep with no back-cast room  :D

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »

I think it's personal preference under MOST conditions - my feeling is the bait/presentation/location/water all has more to do with hook ups....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:23:21 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 08:01:47 AM »

The last few seasons we've been using Drennan knock-offs (Fishon) and they're great floats.  Stratocaster and I bought a bunch in bulk from a guy who had them manufactured overseas. I wish he had more!  I stopped using cleardrift floats b/c of durability issues.  Some of my cleardrifts just started leaking for no apparent reason!  DNE's are fine too.  One thing we started doing was placing two float stops under the float which helps prevent losing the float when snagged, etc.  Also tried a "top shelf" float and I liked it.  The only drawback is the stick which gets caught on people's line when they cast over you.  My stick also broke, but was able to use float stops combined with beads.  Price is an issue with the top shelf floats as well.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:52 AM »

Time and time again (in clear water) I have seen fish evade the oncoming gear drifting at them.  I even have gone as far as to scrape the paint off of the caps on my plastic floats and just leave a little colored nub on top.  It has made a difference when the fish are a little stale and the water conditions are on the low/clear side. 

I think clear drifts have thicker plastic so I have moved away from drennan.  at $8 a pop, Im cant stand that sound when you set the hook, miss the fish and shatter a float in the rocks.

fullahead

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »

Shish kabob sticks and model air plane, plastic gas line hose, is a good trick. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »

With around a thousand floats on hand it can be hard to make up my mind what to use but I have switched from a Maple Leaf Drennan or ML DNE to an Auston Matthews DNE or Drennan. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »

With around a thousand floats on hand it can be hard to make up my mind what to use but I have switched from a Maple Leaf Drennan or ML DNE to an Auston Matthews DNE or Drennan. ;D ;D ;D

I sense a lot of fishless days coming. ;)

Drewhill

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »

The Maple Leaf Drennan: A float that starts off the season floating on top but slowly begins to crack and eventually sinks to the bottom by the end of the season.