Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bent Rods Twitching Jig Rod  (Read 8539 times)

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
Bent Rods Twitching Jig Rod
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »

With the huge rise in popularity of Twitching Jigs the last few years and the lack of fishing rods specific to the technique I had numerous rods custom built for me trying to find the perfect rod for most occasions.

I finally narrowed it down to a 7'6", 10-20 lb rated fast action blank by Rainshadow rods. This Rod is both sensitive and tough which was important to me. I wanted a Rod that could handle Chums but was designed to amplify the battle of Coho, Steelhead and Pinks.

While testing this rod on the Harrison River we caught numerous Chinooks to 25 pounds and while having to go easy, we had no issues landing the fish.
Once we had found the Rod of choice we went to high quality parts to withstand the rigors of hardcore fishing. We use Stainless Steel guides with Zirconium (braid proof) inserts, highest quality cork and metal parts to hold the cork in place. We added a counter blalanced color co-ordinated butt cap. The rods were built with attention to durability because no one is harder on rods than fishing guides.

The Rods are Satin black in color with a Maroon/Purple guide wrap and matching purple metal parts.

This Rod is 1 piece and that is to alleviate the most common breaking point, the ferrule( the part joining the 2 pieces). Being 7 '6" it is no problem fitting it in a car or truck. I use all one piece rods for my guiding unless they are longer than 9 feet and have suffered far less breakage since doing so.
Twitching Jigs all day can be quite tiring to the arms so a light rod makes all the difference.

While most people think of Coho Salmon or Pink Salmon when Twitching jigs I found both Steelhead and Chinooks respond well to the technique.

In recent years I have started to use heavy 1/2 ounce and 3/4 ounce jigs to target Coho and Steelhead in runs with far more current than most people think is a good spot for Twitching Jigs. This fishing takes skill but is very rewarding and not a presentation seen often by local fish.
The technique involves an upstream cast and hopping the jig as it travels down the run.

Over time you will find success leaving the float rod at home and just bringing the Twitching gear and a few spinners.

The new Rod is called the "Fish Pimp", its was named this as it's a tricked out rod specific in design. Not to mention my top selling Coho Twitching jig is named the "Hooker", so it was kinda fitting.

The Rod sells for $279.00

We have the Rods for Sale on our website www.bentrods.ca , they can be picked up at our shop. The website has info on ordering tackle to be picked up at the same time.

We only made a small run of these rods and its best to get one quickly as we may not make the next batch till Summer or early Fall. These are basically a rod custom built for me which I am making available to the public.

For more info on the rod go to our website or email me at fishing@bentrods.ca

We will soon be coming out with a beautiful Centerpin Rod called the Iron Horse, look for that at the Fraser Valley Boat and Sportsman Show.

One more thing, I will throw in my 3 favorite "personal" twitching jigs when you buy a rod. I tied these myself, they are what I use as my go to jigs when personal fishing.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:40:50 AM by BentRodsGuiding »
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Bent Rods Twitching Jig Rod
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »

Interesting. Why is 7'6" the right length for a twitchin' stick?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »

I have seen these rods and know the builder very well.  They are very well made and feel great in your hands.

BentRodsGuiding

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »

7'6" is ideal as it allows one to feel direct contact with jig, add this to braided line and you have a highly sensitive feel for picking up the feel of jig along with the take. Also, twitching is performed with the wrist and alot gets lost in the flex of longer rods.

its no new thing, jiggers and poppers from Florida to Alaska have been using shorter rods for Decades.

I'm not claiming other rods will not work, I just know I've tried many and this is the best one I've used handsdown.

The rod was recommended by a hardcore fisherman from Washington with years of experience.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 05:55:07 PM »

Hey, I trust you. They look great.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »

Hi, im wondering does bent rods have a store where I can drop by and pick up some jigs on the spot? Rod looks killer by the way, a strong hookset for sure. I made the mistake before by bringing a long and soft noodle rod twitching jigs, every fish I hooked was lost one head shake after.

BentRodsGuiding

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »

We have no store but many stores sell our products. The Rods can be picked up at our workshop.