Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major Protest Being Planned  (Read 10650 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Major Protest Being Planned
« on: July 23, 2004, 09:45:23 AM »

At a meeting last night a number of sectors attended and the decison was made to launch a major protest against FOC for their inaction or inability to deal with the growing problems of illegal fishing on the Fraser River.

The feeling of many is if something is not done to make FOC realize they should be doing their job of in forcing the fishery act, some serious incidents could happen. They could be worse than the happening at Grassy a couple weeks ago.

We of course would not like this to happen and hope cooler heads pervail at all times especially as there will so many people on the river starting today with the sockeye opening.

As well the health of some fish stocks could be threatened if this illegal fishing activity accelerates and is allowed to continue.

I compare it to someone robbing a bank. If they are not stopped and keep returning time after time taking more  money each time the vault will one day be empty.

If we do not want this to happen to our precious fish stocks we must attempt to get FOC and for that matter the RCMP to inforce the law. Our fish are threatened as is our democratic society.

I believe we owe it to future generations to do something.  I also sincerly believe it is our duty some action instead of just standing idlely by and talking, time for action.

When I see little Max and for that matter Max, Gary and myself enjoying a day on the river like yesterday we must make sure we work to provide that opportunity for little Max and his future family and the rest of our generations to come. It is much to importnt to lose. Those in charge must be held accountable.

It is too bad the people, be it the Federal Government or their senior FOC staff we put our trust in to protect our fish stocks will not.

They all should be ashamed of thereselves, very sad indeed.
Your comments , ideas, or solution will be welcome and willtaken to the next SDA meeting in 10 days time.

Stay tunned ,we are getting ready FOC.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:Major Protest Being Planned
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 09:53:16 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but what happened at Grassy?

Also, yes I agree.  I have phoned licence #'s and descriptions in to DFO 3 times (from the river!).  Twice for fish killed after they were foul hooked and once for a steelhead killed at Peg Leg.  I followeed up and nothing was done in any of the cases.  I've tried to do my part, but it makes me wonder why I should bother.

Alex015

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 09:56:50 AM »

i think waht chris is refering to is the 2 individuals taht were dressed in camo gear throw out nets... someone else can elaborate if they want.

ps good on u chris
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 09:57:07 AM by Alex015 »

BirdNester

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 10:09:49 AM »

I'll see you guys on the river tomorrow, I'll be the guy with the boxing gloves on.  ;D
RobertO

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 10:10:28 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but what happened at Grassy?

Also, yes I agree.  I have phoned licence #'s and descriptions in to DFO 3 times (from the river!).  Twice for fish killed after they were foul hooked and once for a steelhead killed at Peg Leg.  I followeed up and nothing was done in any of the cases.  I've tried to do my part, but it makes me wonder why I should bother.
This is also what we want to correct. Keep calling in. The good doctor I beleve filed a report on the incident on this forum.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 10:14:36 AM »

Interesting info on protecting our fish stocks, standing united and freedom to fish for them.

http://www.freedomtofish.org

BirdNester

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 10:29:11 AM »

This Grassy thing, was that 2 native guys in a boat dropping a net? And then some other fishermen jumped in a boat and chased them away? Is that what happened? If so, I heard about that through another fisher friend of mine. I believe one of the native guys told my friend something along the lines of, "Don't get involved, you wouldn't want my 38 to blah blah something." Where my friend replied, "I think my 44 would be blah blah something or the other."
Same story?
RobertO

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 10:43:35 AM »

Chris, is there a Non-American version of this freedom to fish thing?  I love the cause, but really don't want to get involved with an American group.  Americans and how what they consider freedom to be doesn't sit well with me.   :-\

Not that I know of as just got this link from a friend today. It was for reference only and idea's as I do not think we would consider hooking up with them.

Dynamite kid

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 10:54:56 AM »

Chris ,I look forward to this and any other action that we take to illicit a change.It's obvious that the best form of protest would be a illegal drift net dropped by some sports fisherman,hopefully by doing this it can be shown how the laws differ for race.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 11:14:34 AM »

Human nature is a contrary creation as has been noted many many times in art, literature and media across the planet through the ages.

To Whit-people who readily admit to snagging fish are now beating their chests about 'other people' breaking the law.

As Yes-hypocrisy is exquisite is it not? ::)

I just can't wait to see all the 'chest beaters' out in force making complete fools of themselves-should be good for a laugh and a half.Especially when confronted by local media with video of they themselves practising the ugliest and most unethical forms of recreational harvest imaginable.

Believe me it's going to happen-my contacts are already alerted to the opportunity to make some people look really bad.It being the 'silly season' media have to look for 'lite entertainment' and this sort of debacle is exactly what they want. ;D

Details @ 11!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 01:23:22 PM »

I am no expert on the Native comercial and food fishery.  It would seem to make sense to me that native FOOD fisheries would be given priority when determining allocations which should then be followed evenly between Non-native Comercial, Native comercial, and sports fisheries.

The fact that these natives are poaching when they can easily get a food liscence makes my think these fish are destine for the black market.

So Sam, do you think that me flossing a few fish for my family's BBQ is EQUIVILANT to someone poaching for profit!!!!  

Get off your high horse, there is no comparison.   We all have a stake in this resource regardless of race, ancestral hertatage, etc.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 01:32:39 PM »

The only poached salmon I like is done on my stove with a wedge of lemon in some Captin Morgan Rum.  Adds a nice flavour ;D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 02:03:35 PM »

SAo Sam, do you think that me flossing a few fish for my family's BBQ is EQUIVILANT to someone poaching for profit!!!!  

So you admit to being a snagger-fine.

There is no difference between someone who snags for dinner and someone who nets unlawfully -no.

And when the faces of the snaggers are shown on TV  protesting the netters that'll be the true face of hypocrisy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 04:23:49 PM by Sam Salmon »

ham

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 03:01:10 PM »

Your still around :-\

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 04:26:18 PM »

The colour of one's skin simply does not matter.  If one is fishing in an illegal manor, then it needs to be stopped.  

I agree-lets keep all bottom bouncing leaders under 24" so as few fish as possible are intentionally snagged by those who have no respect for the law.