Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major Protest Being Planned  (Read 10284 times)

Dynamite kid

Re:Major Protest Being Planned
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 10:45:55 PM »

If all of the fishing methods mentioned in this thread were done away with it would sure be a nice river to fish on.Unfortunately there is some very greedy people in this province,on both sides of the issue.

otto

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 11:12:22 PM »

Fulcrum, i know you don't like the USA aspect of "freedom to fish" but you have to admit that in the last few years the envirofreeeeks have made sure that saltwater anglers can no longer fish from the beaches of the east and west coasts of USA (and to some extent canada), by calling the areas "marine parks or endangered ecosystems".....even though beach angling accounts for only a very tiny (non environmental threatening) percentage of fish caught....

its happing here in BC too......

maybe we could set up a BC chapter of "freedom to fish"..

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 12:40:09 AM »

24" leaders compared to illegal fishing? That is an apsurd. There is no law limiting a lenght of leader. Do not want to go to ethical discussion - it never ends and talk here will not do any good if you find something unethical. Talk to your MP for a change of law, or organize a froup of people who will sign a petition. If you look at the law issue, what some people do is strictly illegal, and what other people do is maybe not ethical in somebodies view but have no legal consequences. I think what is at issue here, it is that even before we start talking about ethical issues we should be sure that law is respected, and that people who break it, and I do not care who they are, get what they deserve.
So, what I want to say talking about ethical issues is just energy consuming. Let's try to help Chris with suggestions how to force government to enforce the law they are paid to enforce. If I do not do my job for a week my boss would kick me out. It seems these people are not enforcing (for whatever reason - maybe they can not) law for a long time. So why they should be in the office and get my tax money?
Maybe there is a need for a better control and accountability of DFO?
just my 2c.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2004, 07:32:40 AM »

sorry but even if conservatives won or win next time Cummings although the best choice is to contravertial to hold post of fisheries minister
the blue bloods would have to give that post to a maritimer

and fulcrum you don't like the american idea of freedom
how about your freedom to advertise your stores wares in english in quebec
ah yes canada the almost free , almost strong enough
to stop illegal fishing   but definatly brave enough to tax you for the pleasure

i,m going fishing    :) :)

Adacas

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 09:25:53 AM »

For every FN member fishing with drift nets there are hundreds of other people BB'ing (snagging). Can't see FN groups complying with any ruling when so many others refuse to give the salmon a break. Would the BB'ers be willing to give up their snagging methods if the FN groups would comply? Goes both ways. The popular justification for snagging is thats its a meat fishery, and I'm sure FN's members use netting for the same purpose.
Unless the slaughter is stopped soon I predict sport fishing on the Fraser will end and we'll all be standing on shore watching FN's excercising their right to the "food fishery". If anyone doesn't think this can happen think again.
 I think the netting issue should be addressed at the same time as the snagging issue. DK's comments get my support. The Fraser would be a wonderful place to fish if the methods used by all groups were to comply with some standards that protect the salmon.
Too much abuse for this resource to survive.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 10:59:25 AM by Adacas »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 04:00:07 PM »

There is absolutely no grounds for comparing FN gill nets poaching for profit and me bottom bouncing a soc or two for personal consumption.  

I commercial fished socs on a gill net/troller and ONE good set, maybe
1.5-2 hours could land 250+ socs..with the ammount of nets and their time in the water, I am sure they are taking a ton of fish (literally).

I am all for putting priority on the bands food fishery to fill THEIR freezers for the winter but poaching fish which are then sold on the black market is bull crap.  Some one was telling me they saw the gross pounds of sockeye netted in by the alberni tribe last year and it worked out that every man, woman, and child could have ate 3 lbs of fish a day for the whole dam year.

Before the DFO worries about the flossing issue, lets get the "Food Fishery" and racially based commercial openings sorted out.

Yopesco

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 04:26:48 PM »

SS:  You'll have to come up with something better than "fear to the media" to scare people off protesting with a just cause.

Which side are you anyway? ???

Yopesco