Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gravel Mining The Vedder is on Again  (Read 24543 times)

ribolovac02

Re: Gravel Mining The Vedder is on Again
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »

I don't know nothing about this issue , but highly dought the gravel was used for concrete, unless they crushed it to certain sized rocks, anyways , besides the point , why the hell wouod they have to extract gravel from one of the rivers that brings in ,probably the most money in the province as far as fishing turisam goes , or what ever you wanna call it ...
Why desturb what already works somewhat good compared to other rivers around the province .

I know it's probably a total nother topic ,  but WHY?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »

Are you suggesting that river Rock was used for the concrete Chris?
Fill for the site and roadways.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »

I have witnessed the construction site and they have indeed used hundreds of tons of gravel to create a large pad to build on. Don't know the source of all the gravel but im sure Chris is correct that it came from the vedder.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 08:28:42 PM »

Im not so sure they would use round rock material for fill. River Rock doesn't pack period. It's probably the worst material you could use to build a pad. Engineers hate river Rock due to the lack of surface area compared to fractured Rock in reference to concrete. Placers love it though.
I think it's safe to say they're not using river Rock to build roads when they can sell it at a profit and buy 5" minus off the mountain for dollars a ton. As someone who was in the seat of a ready mix truck for over 10 years I would flat out tell the guy to get stuffed if he wanted me to drive on a road made of river Rock. Actually come to think of it not once have I ever seen a road built out of round Rock.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »

FYI if you have an exposed agg driveway chances are it came from the  Vedder. Good ol chilliwack exposed agg. Some of the finest, and guess where it comes from. The same guys that hauled it out this last year.

jeff

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »

The gravel "pad" at the molson site is for a preload and all that material will be coming off to be used on other parts of the site and at other jobs and the vedder river gravel from the summer is long gone and has been used already. They were in fact shipping it right from the river to job sites. That gravel from the river is a pain to use onsite like already stated.
Enjoying the water..........

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:09 PM »

What material are they using to preload Jeff sand?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 09:19:59 PM »

jeff, Noahs Arc ... great information on this contentious issue.  Please keep it coming.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 07:33:58 AM »

The gravel "pad" at the molson site is for a preload and all that material will be coming off to be used on other parts of the site and at other jobs and the vedder river gravel from the summer is long gone and has been used already. They were in fact shipping it right from the river to job sites. That gravel from the river is a pain to use onsite like already stated.
Here is one of the video I filmed from Nov. 2, 2016 of the gravel coming from the Wilson Road (Yarrow) gravel extraction site to the the Molson site. https://youtu.be/uin108cCkvc

Of course so sad to see this beautiful farmland  covered up forever too but of course another issue.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »

Here is where some of the gravel was coming from.https://youtu.be/gbSXe4rl-Dg

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »

Thanks Chris I'm quite suprised to see that.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »

There is some piles that have not been used yet. Salwein Pit is one of them.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »

Another pile is at Bergman Road... that, I'm told, is the property of DFO for use in upcoming gravel augmentation projects on this system.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 06:15:21 PM »

Another pile is at Bergman Road... that, I'm told, is the property of DFO for use in upcoming gravel augmentation projects on this system.
Hope you are right I will try to ask them at out upcoming meeting.

jeff

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »

Noah's arc I would say from what I can see and given who the contractor is the material being used is most likely is a 3" minus product the can be used for back fill and road building on the site later on. Also they could be using some sand it really depends and what other jobs the company has coming up. Hope that helps.
Enjoying the water..........