Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maui Surf Fishing 101  (Read 15718 times)

Silver

Maui Surf Fishing 101
« on: August 12, 2016, 02:49:57 AM »

Basic Gear:
Plunking rod and reel...very similar to Fraser bar fishing, just longer and salt rated. Conventional reels are preferred but large level winds and the largest spinning reels will do fine.
Popping rod and reel can be any medium action medium power 7-9 foot rod, with a 3000ish spinning reel.
I brought my own travel gear in a nice sport tube.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Maui Surf Fishing 101
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:08:39 AM »

That's it?
Waiting to see the results.

Have fun  8)

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 10:46:14 AM »

Damn, this thread better deliver.....   ;)  One hell of a tease.   :D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »

That's it?
Waiting to see the results.

Yeah no kidding! C'mon, Silver - don't leave us hanging!!!!! Hahaha...

Silver

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 11:21:11 AM »

Hawaii has very relaxed fishing regulations...almost anything goes except harvesting sea turtles. They are a lot stricter for fresh water fishing...but I won't be doing any of that anyway.
There are no fishing licenses required.

Fishing first light and last light on a rising tide is best...sound familiar?

The main target species are Ulua, Papio, trevally...basically a tuna like fish of about 30 variations of size and markings...like the the different salmonoid types.
This is the big Game fish...the Giant Trevally GT, they only come in at night.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:46:44 PM by Silver »

Silver

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »

I will be using mostly bait strips of Ika (squid), or Tako (octopus) if I can find some, and possibly some live reef fish. The set up is a basic Carolina rig for dunking, and a short float set up for popping (only you retrieve your cast in a jigging style). Using specialty plugs is big here too...but they are moderately to extremely expensive and they are limited in availability...I may try one or two a bit later on.

However, if you fish bass, apparently all the top water lures for them should work here too. So I want to give these ones a try...I bought them just because they were cheap. Good thing I didn't continue with the hook replacement...because barbed trebles are fine here. I've actually got a good feeling about these.

Also, you need some type of rod holder for the sand...this one I bought here in Hawaii, and are very well made of aluminum.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:24:27 PM by Silver »

Silver

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 12:17:49 PM »

Maui's shoreline is comprised of bays with a reef separated by a lava rock jetty. I will focus on the Northwest coastline in this map. The best fishing is in the northern bays, but they also have the larger surf and currents...so the balance between fishing and family enjoyment will be difficult.

This is Oneloa Bay.

This is Honokahua Bay.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:32:30 PM by Silver »

Silver

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »

This is a typical rock jetty...See the rod holders cemented into the lava. Not only do you fish at night...but if you catch a GT, you then need to scale down the edge of the jagged and slippery rocks and wrestle with the fish in the crashing surf...and all with the possibility of a large wave set coming at any time. Plus,  there can also be some borderline people at these locations with a 'go home' or 'you flew here we grew here mentality' so I will avoid this particular activity. I read in someone else's blog that they only fish at night with a couple of extra people because two is not enough protection.
Maybe I've seen too many surf movies?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:45:16 PM by Silver »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 12:46:26 PM »

You're spending way too much time taking pictures when you could be fishing.
Nice lead up though....

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 02:59:24 PM »

If you want some excellent snorkelling, leave the rod at home and head east up the coast a bit to Honolua Bay. It's a conservation area (so no fishing!) but the coral reefs and sea life is stellar. It's a rocky beach, not sand, so a little tricky entering the water, but well worth it.   

Enjoy the trip!

Silver

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 11:19:25 PM »

I haven't done much in the way of fishing yet, except for preparation and scouting locations...because I really prefer to have all my homework done first before I jump in to something. I'm here for awhile too...so I should get at least 5-6 serious outings, and a few quickies in like this evening.

After a late start today with final initial errands completed...I got to try the last hour of light at Fleming beach.

This guy was not going to let go!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 06:33:48 PM »

Thanks for the detailed as-you-go reports!  Keep it up!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 10:05:50 PM »

WOW this thread sure is delivering.....

Thanks, a nice change from all the recent doom and gloom.

Silver

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 03:25:03 AM »

Some family arrived today, plus another unecessary Costco trip caused another late start today. Also, it's crazy how much traffic occurs on the weekend...I think all the locals come down to Lahaina at weeks end.
Anyway, got to try for a bit at Kapalua Bay. It's mainly for snorkelling, and not really conducive for fishing with so many people getting in the way...but my only option.

Was using an angry bird and squid strips with not much success. I also didn't have much confidence as I felt like the odd one out here.

[/URL

[URL=http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Penskyfile/media/image.jpg3_5.jpg.html]

I was getting discouraged, then when I flung off most of my squid and went to get another strip. I
dipped my barely baited hook it the tide pool a rod length in front of me and a fish immediately attacked
it.

Hmm...let's try smaller bait again in the rocks ala pole fishing style...

Maybe not that thrilling...but still fun. And better yet...I'm completely dialled in now to live bait fishing. There were also several larger fish milling about if you looked carefully...all in the nook and crannies of the rocks in a foot or two of water.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:17:48 PM by Silver »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 06:59:58 AM »

Cool looking fish.