Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maui Surf Fishing 101  (Read 15844 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Maui Surf Fishing 101
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 02:21:15 PM »

Holy cow those are pricey lures. To think what I'll do to retrieve a stuck blue fox.... Who knows what I'd do to retrieve one of those!

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »

Jealous
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Seatosky

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 06:33:50 PM »

Awesome ... crazy expensive lures!

I did buy a Mark White 1/2 oz white and red surface lure. I landed a blue trevalli with it. It was $12.50 usd. The very next cast it was donated to the pacific. Sigh.

http://www.markwhitelures.com/lures_plugs.html

Sounds like you've research things thoroughly. Just in case, I thought I'd mention that the locals I met , who were after GTs (Ulua), were all slide fishing at night.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxMDvCTxguU

Pretty interesting! Good luck!

Silver

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 01:16:18 AM »

Slide bait fishing was initially what I was planning...I had watched several videos and even chose my gear to accommodate this style...I was close to buying some Hawaii lures too online, but haven't even used the ones I had already...maybe next time once I master the simple bait fishery first.
It was only after the tackle guy dissuaded me that I didn't try...he said it is 'a lot of work' and only a nightime fishery, headlamps are needed, live bait, and rarely a successful venture. Locals can camp out for a week or more before they hook up. He says he only does it when his son comes to visit him.
It's definitely a trophy fishery only.
He said I'll have way more fun with bait dunking and popping...and there are still good odds to catch a trevally in the 10-15 lb range going this route. Supposedly this is prime time for jacks feeding off the beaches.

Anyway, we decided to check out the South side of a Maui today to find a calmer beach...no chance!
Went to Kihei and left kamole beach due to high winds. Then went to Makena beach and the surf was like Hawaii five O...I always bring my gear but no chance here today.
So we come back to the West side and randomly stopped at a campsite next to the highway that the locals seem to frequent...there are many places like this in Maui scattered around.
Very enjoyable...after setting up the rod I was in the water the whole time waiting with the turtles. Lots of snags though and no bites, after a few hours we decided to try our local beach before dark.

Side note...I'm finding that Maui is unusual that every beach is different in everyway possible...one can have out of control surf, the next is lagoon like and calm? Perhaps this unusual weather is the cause for the erratic ocean activity.

Similar beach next to the highway that we tried before...yet this one was very calm and swimmable.

Beach near Kapalua...note the jetty to the right, several fisherman out on the point.

I got what seemed to be a decent bite, but when I went to reel in I was snagged! I've heard that when a fish gets hooked they can swim into a reef and hang you up...actually mono is preferred to braid here for this reason. Perhaps this is what happened?
The wife has taken an interest is casting the popping rod...and just as I was getting again discouraged she hooks into one. A little bit bigger fish than we've been getting, and the drag is set a bit loose...this one is stripping line pretty good so she passed it off to me, and said that it slammed the bait in the flat water between the waves...so now we have a strategy.

Finally, a keeper! A decent Trevally jack, or Pompano, or Papio as the Hawaiians call it. So After watching a few videos on filleting here's what I got.

None of the videos warned on this little barb on the dorsal fin...learned about it the hard way!

I nailed the cutting so very little waste...actually really easy to do as the fish is quite stiff and not salmon like. One video said to cut away the lateral line dark meat as it's not very good, and I heard that the toxin that can build up in reef fish is concentrated there so I removed it. (Not really an issue with this species but better to be safe) Not much meat in comparison to size...kind of like a rock fish ratio.
Very nice texture and tasty...

:)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:51:11 AM by Silver »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 09:46:42 AM »

Awesome! Nice little jack!

This made me drool, by the way:

Finally, a keeper! A decent Trevally jack, or Pompano, or Papio as the Hawaiians call it. So After watching a few videos on filleting here's what I got.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »

You are eating it raw?

Silver

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 10:53:09 AM »

You are eating it raw?

No, I don't much care for raw too much except salmon lox and ahi tuna rare...if that even counts. Probably would be perfect for sashimi as the texture is buttery and firm.

We pan fried simply with seasoning and sea salt. Not to sound cliche...but it really was delicious!

TimL

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »

Nice catch!  8)
Looks like a bluefin trevally

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 12:02:20 PM »

Good thread reminding me of my days living in Hawaii. Ulua fishing is a tough thing and can go for weeks without a bite plus it is mostly a night time thing for many locals. But spinning for Papio, the junior GT, can be quite fun and productive at times. The Kaneohe Bay on Oahu is famous for this. Once I was plunking for bottom fishing at a reef point and lo and behold a large school of Papio blew by and I didn't have a spinning rod set up ready for them. Gosh! Too bad but it was an awesome sight indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj21fxoY3RM

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »

On Oahu, Haleiwa on the north coast is the mecca for for big game like Ahi, Marlin, Mahi Mahi and Wahoo etc. on boat, but these guys had tons of fun just plunking it from shore for Ulua at Mokuleia shore near Haleiwa. I love this video as it shows you the way of life of the Hawaiians having fun together with the friendly Aloha spirit, fish or no fish. I don't envy the life of the secluded rich and celebrities when compared to these guys. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrwNNH98LHs

Silver

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »

Steelhawk,

Yes, After talking with the charter captain today he confirmed the difficulty and extent it takes to catch an Ulua...his roommate is serious about this fishery and it will take him 12-15 overnight attempts to hook up.

And, I totally agree about the Hawaiian attitude and they certainly do their camping proper! No hotdogs here.

Silver

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 10:32:29 PM »

Went for a 4 hour charter today and booked the whole boat for an extra $100...totally worth it considering it can fit 12 guests and only 5 can fish at a time. So the 3 of us and the two crew are all working together as a team.

Using sabiki rigs Captain Johnnie immediately hooked up with two Oama bait fish...these are the most prized live bait and not always easy to find. Very lucky indeed.

This baitfish will virtually guarantee Mahi Mahi, Ono, or large trevally. He hooks it up and drops it to about 10 feet off bottom...immediately there's a strike! Big fish will bite the tail off first then return to finish the rest, so he delays any retrieving. It nibbled a bit more then we drifted too far off the structure that we were fishing.

One thing about this charter that is irritating is that you only get to fish in 7-10 minute intervals before having to reposition after drifting. We are fishing in 100-160 feet of water on sandy humps...kind of like
Halibut fishing from my experience. This activity was repeated dozens of times.

So back at it with the second and last bait fish...again instant action and this time after waiting for a return...fish on! Funny, Johnnie even called it...he said to me to reel up my line and get ready after the first nibble.

Even they were impressed, both Captain and Mechanic took there own pictures...Here's Johnnie! With a very nice 6-7 lb Omilu.

Then with the excitement over its back to bottom fishing using Sabiki rigs cut down to two hooks per rod with squid. Several different species were caught, and in multiples...I even got a double header on both hooks.
Some of the types were Ladyfish, Goatfish, Trigger fish, and Pog fish.

Also, on the live/whole bait line we would let frozen Chad soak for a big one...a reasonable possibility, but not again for us. The bait would need to be replaced due to it being chewed on, but nothing large hit. Also funny is all the baits used here are from the freezer section of the grocery store.

One thing I was not impressed with was the squid...they were using old red gelatinous bait! I suggested that fresh bait is best from what I researched, and they didn't seem to think it was a problem? I requested some fresh to be cut up, and Mechanic Cody did so even removing the membrane as I suggested.

Well, perhaps the increased action afterward was just a coincidence...but I did hook into something special!

This is a Nabetta or Peacock Wrasse...it's a Hawaiian delicacy fish that is not commercially available. It's somewhat rare as it can't be located on a sounder because it sits in the sand. This one is considered large and the guys were pretty happy to see it.

Check out the teeth on this one! We had to be careful as it will bite you, and can also touch its tail like a shark. Actually, most of these fish have some way to stick you if it's not spines, barbs, sharp fins, or even gills that have poison.

Oh, and for those that are interested...both of these keepers make the best Sashimi! Johnnie said that they will routinely take these types of fish back to the office and immediately eat them raw...maybe I should give this a try too? Well, maybe after freezing them first...just in case.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:03:19 AM by Silver »

TimL

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2016, 12:59:24 AM »

Very nice catches..quite an interesting assortment of reef species.  8)

Silver

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 02:51:02 PM »

I still want to catch something big from the beach and I was thinking about improving my odds in two ways.
The squid doesn't stay on the hook very long...if your not fishing your not catching. I tied all of my hooks with a bait loop knot (nobody here knows what this is, and everybody just hooks the bait once dangling off the hook.
I also tied some flash onto the hooks sparingly and the length of the bait strips...I even made sure all the hook are sticky sharp.
Notice my demonstration setup, I am able to thread the strip onto the hook and it looks like a bait fish swimming...and the hook even rides up for less snags. The strip will stay on much longer when dunking, and also withstand multiple casting with the whipping rod.

[/URL

[URL=http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Penskyfile/media/image.jpg2_13.jpg.html]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:53:32 PM by Silver »

dobrolub

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »

I found frozen squid gets more bites.