Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambleside, August 6th  (Read 6838 times)

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
Ambleside, August 6th
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »

Fished from 5:30 AM to 9:30 AM...about 20 anglers and 1 fish caught and I saw 1 jumper after that. They are not stacking up yet. A little late but maybe next week or 2.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Ambleside, August 6th
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:04:48 PM »

Appreciate the report. Was thinking of heading out tomorrow. Think I'll just sleep in tomorrow.

fisharoo

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:02:45 PM »

I was fishing in a boat along shore around the same time. Pretty dead out there, not much action. Has anyone been fishing in the river upstream lately? Any good action there?

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:15:40 AM »

Went up river on Saturday. Water is really low, even the big pools had nothing holding. Wait for the fall.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »

It wasn't that long ago that the Coho stacked up in the salt in June.
Man we can sure mess things up in a hurry.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:45:57 PM »

Natives netted about 50-60 coho starting this first light. Some real nice ones too

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »

In the weir traps?

I was there last weak after a high tide watching them harvest at the weirs and saw them with like 30 beautiful chrome coho, all roughly 3-4 lbs mostly. Looked like fun down there :). I wonder if they get many Chinook in those traps?
All caught in the traps then netted. I watched during outgoing tide and about 1 fish caught every 30-50 minutes. I saw a picture of a steelhead bonked last week, but no springs. Beach was slow today for those wondering

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »

I was out a couple days this weekend on the kayak with no salmon landed. Did land a couple nice sole and my first (3) dogfish. They were rather interesting to land the first time (and dare I say rather cute looking). Even caught a couple crabs on my rod in about 5 feet of water! they didn't want to let go of my herring :P  All females like every other crab at Ambleside these days (commercial traps in full effect).

As for the coho in the system upriver - we stopped by a few holes yesterday that seemed devoid of fish - but the hatchery was jammed with many beauties. Plenty of fish are making their way past the weirs (and most guys fishing at the beach).

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Ambassador

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »

Those fish in the Hatchery have been there since the few rains we had in June. It has been stacked tight in the hatchery and cable pool since then. I doubt many have been getting up in the low water. Maybe a few :).
Quite a few chromers mixed in which tell me a fair number are still getting through - but yeah - I've seen a bunch stacked up for a while at Cable Pool awaiting a water release from the dam.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »

There have also been a fair amount around the beach from my time out there, not many willing to bite, though they have had no problem jumping 5 feet from me, and flipping me the fin :)
That's normal for Ambleside, lots of jumpers, but few biters.  They rarely bite, but it could turn on for 10 minutes and then turn off again for hours.  I will join the gong show there on Saturday for the first time this season.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 02:02:56 PM »

Not much changed today. Few jumpers, saw no fish hooked.

TimL

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 08:19:56 PM »

Similar result on Friday morning. We fished the low by the breakwater from 5:30-9:30 and got skunked yet again (other than 1 small cuttie and a sculpin on spinner). Saw only 1 coho landed and my buddy lost 1 on buzz bomb.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:22:02 PM by TimL »