Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: netting vedder canal  (Read 27147 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: netting vedder canal
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »

It's ok... Just blame it on the pikeminnows. ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »

I know how it is once a guy retires from a long career with one employer - everything at the old job site goes down the crapper. However can the nation manager without you 2?  ;D

This was and is expected to be a high return for the upper Chilliwack stocks per the preliminary outlook:

Chilliwack Lake/Dolly Varden Creek
: Brood year escapement in 2012 (78,700
EFS) was more than seven times the recent
 time series average (10,800 EFS) from
2002-2014 across all cycles
when both sites were assessed, and is the largest
escapement on record for this stock.

So far only one  issue has been identified and that's the Cultus Lake stocks - but it's very early in it's migration cycle  though some do appear at this - what's the cumulative number so far 5?  Some of the nose of the return plot have made it by the net.

The net was not in place that long & the take apparently not that large... so why all the hand wringing & hysteria? The V-C never belonged exclusively to the Sport community

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »

The fishery has been extended, open from August 7th 6:00pm to August 8th 6:00pm (24 hours). Two set nets with a maximum length of 100 feet fishing at the Highway 1 Bridge or the railway bridge downstream of that.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2016, 03:31:49 PM »

The timing of this openning and the recreational opening in the Fraser is questionable. I guess the Vedder sox are the ransom for the Fraser rec openning. FNs are allowed to Net the Fraser and Vedder to mitigate the political risk of a large escale protest. I hope that I'm wrong...

wizard

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2016, 06:25:36 PM »

precedent has been 'set'.

why don't they seine?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »

precedent has been 'set'.

why don't they seine?

When this fishery was first practiced in 2012, both seining and dip netting were unsuccessful. The proposed site for seining (canal) was too deep at the time and they gave up after one try. Dip netting upstream from the hatchery also had its challenges. I think the total catch from that opening was in the single digit.

Seining and gill netting have also been tried in the lake since but that has also not been successful. Once these fish enter the lake from the river, they go straight into the deep parts of the lake.

dave c

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2016, 11:03:20 PM »

Lets just hope there isn't an opening for coho if we have a larger than normal return.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »

I know how it is once a guy retires from a long career with one employer - everything at the old job site goes down the crapper. However can the nation manager without you 2?  ;D

This was and is expected to be a high return for the upper Chilliwack stocks per the preliminary outlook:

So far only one  issue has been identified and that's the Cultus Lake stocks - but it's very early in it's migration cycle  though some do appear at this - what's the cumulative number so far 5?  Some of the nose of the return plot have made it by the net.

The net was not in place that long & the take apparently not that large... so why all the hand wringing & hysteria? The V-C never belonged exclusively to the Sport community
Ah Ralph, exactly the response I expected from you.  The point is there should be no fishing on Cultus sockeye at all.  A terminal fishery on Chilliwack Lake fish is what was originally proposed, not this.

norton

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2016, 10:17:37 PM »

There should be no net fishing for any river period . Talk about non selective!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2016, 11:58:26 PM »

There should be no net fishing for any river period . Talk about non selective!

Actually, terminal fisheries are the most selective practice because you're specifically targeting one stock. Fisheries that take place in the ocean, or in the mainstem Lower Fraser River, are not selective because you're intercepting multiple runs of fish at once. You can be targeting runs that are very sustainable, but you can also be catching fish from runs that are almost extinct. Catching fish closer to the spawning ground can also lead to better management because by this point you have a better idea how large the return is, so your margin of error is much smaller when taking fish out of there.

The problem with these two gill nets being used in the lower section of the Vedder Canal is that two stocks are being intercepted. One is the targeted Chilliwack Lake stock which will have 100,000+ fish returning this year, while some Cultus Lake fish, which are endangered, might be intercepted because they are already moving through the system.

The better alternative is to have the netting taking place further upstream above the hatchery up to the lake, where pretty much all of the fish are Chilliwack Lake stock. It is also taking place outside of the recreational fishing boundary so user conflicts are unlikely.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2016, 06:48:29 AM »

....  The point is there should be no fishing on Cultus sockeye at all.  A terminal fishery on Chilliwack Lake fish is what was originally proposed, not this.

Easy to say not always easy to do from a management perspective. Did you have much management experience in your DFO career Dave?

Point is the 'damage' to Cultus stock would appear to be as minimal as can managed - let's hope so.

Terminal fisheries are often low value fisheries as the salmon no longer have the nutritional or culinary value they do closer to tide water or in the ocean. In this case the terminal fishery has been difficult to execute from what I have read in your posts Rod

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:46:53 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »

from the pacific salmon comm, weekly report, and they are netting them.               
 Within the Early Summer-run aggregate, the Chilliwack and Nadina Group are both showing poor levels of return to date, tracking at levels well below the p50 forecast. There are currently no in-season signals of the potential for later than expected timing for the Early Summer-run that would be required to generate significant increases in its run-size.

dcajaxs

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »

Easy to say not always easy to do from a management perspective. Did you have much management experience in your DFO career Dave?

Point is the 'damage' to Cultus stock would appear to be as minimal as can managed - let's hope so.

Terminal fisheries are often low value fisheries as the salmon no longer have the nutritional or culinary value they do closer to tide water or in the ocean. In this case the terminal fishery has been difficult to execute from what I have read in your posts Rod

they might be low value but I think its better to have some of little value then have none.  if stocks continue to decline there is no fish for anyone.  its me me me attitude.   might all be catch and release like sturgeon in the future.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »

In most cases I would say I imagine the "higher-ups" would have 1) more information and 2) a better idea of how to manage this stuff than you or I would. A good example is all of the bitching about how the Canucks are run - I think anyone of us taking over for Jim Benning would do a pretty terrible job, despite how much about hockey we think we know.

With how fisheries are managed in this province, I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:50:58 AM by Tex »

TNAngler

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2016, 09:08:25 AM »

In most cases I would say I imagine the "higher-ups" would have 1) more information and 2) a better idea of how to manage this stuff than you or I would. A good example is all of the bitching about how the Canucks are run - I think anyone of us taking over for Jim Benning would do a pretty terrible job, despite how much about hockey we think we know.

With how fisheries are managed in this province, I'm not so sure.

If Jim Benning does a horrible job, he loses his job and can get fired at any moment.  To get Jim Benning's job, you have to know a lot about hockey and player development and all of that.  Now, I don't know how the higher ups for DFO are chosen but it seems to me like they are likely appointed.  Appointed positions could just as easily be a friend or someone owed a job for a political favor than being appointed for knowing what they are doing.  Sadly, gov't doesn't work the same as the free market.  Even for elected positions, unless there is a recall provision (and enough caring citizens to get that done), you have to wait for reelection.