Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: netting vedder canal  (Read 27012 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
netting vedder canal
« on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »

Below the highway bridge . Unbelievable , if this becomes a thing you can kiss this River goodbye

Edit , apparently they have an opening yarrow down til August 4th , horrible
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:34:47 PM by kingpin »
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: netting vedder canal
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »

Well if that doesn't leach the carbon out of your rod - nothing will.

So much for endangered run conservation.  >:( I guess someone decided there were too many sockeye in the river this year and they had to start culling the run to ensure spawning space.

This doesn't make me very happy.

Damage done. Not the first time and sadly it won't be the last.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:38:37 PM by Rieber »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:38:59 PM »

what endangered run?

colin6101

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »

I would assume that he is referring to the Cultus Lake sockeye which according to the DFO site start entering the river in August.

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 06:42:29 AM »

oh dearie me! In our rush to make everyone 'equal' there's little but racist hostility to harvest methods of others. It's also kind of interesting that if you look at C/V creel census data 1st Nations users take quite a number of fish through the salmon season - I guess as long as they are not visible, no one cares.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:14:47 AM »

Yep, in big aluminum boats with Merc outboards. Just like their ancestors did it!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »

Do any of us do it like our ancestors did it?  ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »

Yep, in big aluminum boats with Merc outboards. Just like their ancestors did it!
Do you drive to work in a horse drawn carriage? The law specifically assumes and allows improved technology for native fishing.

dobrolub

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »

A couple of excerpts from the articles:

Sports groups were notified of the fishery and Victor said there was no opposition.

In the meantime, the aboriginal fishery could be a wonderful demonstration fishery, he suggested.

"I think people would enjoy watching the traditional methods."

I'd enjoy watching a more traditional spearfishing or something like that :) I do not enjoy watching netting.

As to the suggestion that anything that's pointing out unfairness in treating sport fishing vs. FN's fishing is racist: accusing someone of being racist is a strong accusation and does not serve the debate. I'd suggest that calling someone a racist is bulling. If this is done out of feeling of guilt – this is your guilt to deal with, not everyone's.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:00:18 AM by dobrolub »

TNAngler

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 08:59:50 AM »

I can understand them netting the canal if there are plenty of fish.  I know their ancestors would often block off an entire stream.  Given any conservation effort though, blocking 100% of the river just frustrates me to no end.  In the name of conservation, I would think all FN groups should agree that no more than 50% of the water over 2 feet deep will be blocked by a net unless there are no escapement concerns.

Nets in the Fraser are frustrating but at least the fish have a chance out there.

TNAngler

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 09:00:50 AM »

A couple of excerpts from the articles:

I'd enjoy watching a more traditional spearfishing or something like that :) I do not enjoy watching netting.

The dip net fishery on some of the rivers down off the Columbia are amazing to watch.  Extremely dangerous and scary but amazing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »

When this fishery opportunity was being proposed in 2012, my colleagues and I were quite involved in the discussion. The two methodologies proposed were seining in the lower river downstream from the railway bridge, and dip netting in the upper river. All of us were in favour of these as they would have very little impact on not just the sockeye salmon being targeted but also the chinook salmon mixed in between which the recreational anglers target, and minimize conflicts between user groups. While catch success for them was very low during that year, it was good to see new fishing opportunities being proposed for them and backed up by the rec group while opportunities in the Fraser River were not available.

Personally I'm not aware of any discussion this year to have drift gill nets added to these methodologies for this fishery, so I'm a bit surprised to see this. It's a six day opening and the practice is being allowed day and night in the section of the river downstream from the railway bridge in Yarrow. There's nothing wrong with the opportunities given considering how many sockeye salmon we are seeing coming into the river this year, but the methodology needs to be reviewed I think.

I'm pretty sure all chinook salmon being intercepted have to be released, but one has to wonder how it affects the chinook salmon fishing further upstream in the coming days when there are nets being strung across the canal. The good news is that we are at the tail end of the chinook salmon fishery I guess. I've addressed the above concerns to those who are responsible for this and will post follow-ups when/if they become available.

TNAngler

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »

How often are they required to check the net?  There have been studies done on the mortality rates of being caught on a rod and reel and the stress that causes fish but what about being stuck in a net for an hour and then not gingerly released?  I can't imagine the stress that causes does well for the fish so even if they are released, I'd question how many of them are making it up to spawn.

Seine net and dip nets I think would be much more ideal than a gill net.  I've seen how a spooked fish can hit the net so hard that there is almost no way to save them they get so tangled.  I don't see any that get passed the net, get freaked and come barreling back downstream with the current behind them and plowing into the net not being severely harmed no matter the species.

Sage2106

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »

Time to work on getting gill nets banned.