Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 29078 times)

hrenya

Re: 2016 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »

I again agree with SH . I remember meeting him up and going to Stave for s/h in winter , we used pins and like 1 foot leaders , bunch of white guy b/b , and when he crossed SH , and it was his fault , he cut his line . I was really sad to see that , but amount of those guys was more than we could handle . We moved to a different spot .

If problem is b/b , why dfo cant make simply leader length restriction ?! I was watching quite a few videos on youtube with legit b/b , and leader about 1-2 feet max ... it`s pretty cool to watch and see how fish takes it . But 10+ feet leaders is just retarded :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 05:21:56 PM »

If problem is b/b , why dfo cant make simply leader length restriction ?..

you can neither pay attention or learn can you grasshopper?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hrenya

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »

you can neither pay attention or learn can you grasshopper?
I`m sorry , im so broke at the moment that I cant afford to pay attention ...  could you explain ?!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »

I`m sorry , im so broke at the moment that I cant afford to pay attention ... 

as I suspected.

Perhaps someone else will explain - I did at least twice
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hrenya

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »

so why they can`t ?
they can make us use single barbless hook ....

fisherforever

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »

Time to put him on your ignore list available in your profile RalphH, I have. Somewhere there is a village being deprived of an idiot.

hrenya

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2016, 06:25:43 PM »

wow , person who recommend to include in theirs ignore list as far as a few day ago , can see my posts ?  wow ....

norton

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »

Im sorry for my earlier post . I should have never said that. I know its not the canadian way. I t was second hand information i was repeating from a jet boat fisherman at a fraser boat launch who was irate when he came to shore and said dfo had spotted these bottom bouncers and decided to shut all salmon fishing down . Please except my apology it was inconsiderate

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2016, 03:07:35 AM »

Racist to the utmost. As far as most Canadians are concerned, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Malaysians, Singaporeans all look alike to them. So unless they hang a big sign on their chests or carry their national flags like they do in the Olympics, how do you know they are Chinese? Also, are their any Caucasians in there along a big bar? Why you say they are targeting and killing sockeyes? If they are targeting springs by BB and releasing c/r sockeye, that still doesn't justify calling them killing sockeyes unless you intend to create hate. DFO can deal with them if they don't like them doing it. If they are retaining sockeyes, that is a different story. If so, why didn't you report them to DFO and instead here pointing a racist finger to spread hate on a select group? Where is the proof? But your statement is going to be read all over the Internet regardless. That is an outrageously racist post, to make a blanket accusation on an ethnic group without any proof that they were killing sockeyes. A picture like the one with sockeye heads and guts all over the road will help your case. But even with that, you still need to identify them as ethnic Chinese to vindicate your post.

LOL I find the first part of your post racist to white people.  :P

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2016, 09:59:11 AM »

Why , for some reason  :o if you look at the 3 test sets per day for the Albion test . Sockeye netted . If you look at the last month there are 3 times or more fish caught every other day ? or every second day . Weird  :o . Now there are none, more or less.
I do believe , or think it would be a good idea to stop these netting Sockeye and let as many go a possible of what's left . And the Springs . A complete shut down . What more sience do you need ? . We here this every day how bad it is so why keep scooping them up !!! .
Close the Albion , Wannock and alike , for now .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »

if they are netting at specific times it may be a tidal effect.

TNAngler

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »

If I understand the test fisheries right, they fish at a certain point in the tide every time which is why some days have three if there are three high tides in the day.

It is likely a lot to do with how the river smells.  The fish can smell how much fresh rain water is included and fresh rain water would equate to better chance of survival upstream.  A number of days of rain will usually see a whole bunch of fish making a mad dash upstream.  Days with little rain will see a lot of fish hanging out and waiting while smaller groups will go ahead and chance it.

A river the size of the Fraser, time of day likely doesn't have as much of an effect on when fish enter but it could affect whether they run where the net is or deeper or shallower.

I agree though that it seems counter productive to be removing fish from the system to test how many fish are coming in when there are so few fish.  At the same time, it can be an indicator of other problems.  If decent numbers are being caught in the test fisheries and then they disappear between there and the spawning grounds, then something is intercepting the fish on the way up.  If the river is closed to fishing, maybe not everybody is following that rule.  I would think a seine net would make more sense so the fish could be released.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »

Quote from: Steelhawk on August 22, 2016, 02:09:00 PM

Racist to the utmost. As far as most Canadians are concerned, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Malaysians, Singaporeans all look alike to them. So unless they hang a big sign on their chests or carry their national flags like they do in the Olympics, how do you know they are Chinese? Also, are their any Caucasians in there along a big bar? Why you say they are targeting and killing sockeyes? If they are targeting springs by BB and releasing c/r sockeye, that still doesn't justify calling them killing sockeyes unless you intend to create hate. DFO can deal with them if they don't like them doing it. If they are retaining sockeyes, that is a different story. If so, why didn't you report them to DFO and instead here pointing a racist finger to spread hate on a select group? Where is the proof? But your statement is going to be read all over the Internet regardless. That is an outrageously racist post, to make a blanket accusation on an ethnic group without any proof that they were killing sockeyes. A picture like the one with sockeye heads and guts all over the road will help your case. But even with that, you still need to identify them as ethnic Chinese to vindicate your post.

LOL I find the first part of your post racist to white people.  :P  (quoted from Noahs Arc)

LOL. Nice try but read my post carefully. Don't be a racist to think that the word Canadians mean only the white people. I said MOST CANADIANS can't tell the difference, which include Canadians who are blacks, natives, East Indians, Latinos and probably most local born & raised Chinese Canadians who have never gone over the Orient. Most people, including immigrants from the countries I listed earlier, can't tell the ethnic origin of a person that look like themselves from just the outside, not to say from a distance.  Even most Chinese can't tell if the other person who looks Chinese from a distance is an ethnic Chinese. If you take the prettiest actresses and the most handsome actors from those listed countries, they all look alike. Don't believe that? Try look up some of those international dating sites or search for movie or entertainment for people of those listed countries. They all look alike. The only time one can tell is from the accent of their English or if you can recognize their dialect spoken or when they dress up their ethnic clothing. That is just a stated fact. Nothing racist about this and there is no intend to 'criminalize' anyone who fails to do so. Even I myself can't tell the difference from a distance, not to say on a fishing bar. LOL.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:41:22 PM by Steelhawk »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »

I again agree with SH . I remember meeting him up and going to Stave for s/h in winter , we used pins and like 1 foot leaders , bunch of white guy b/b , and when he crossed SH , and it was his fault , he cut his line . I was really sad to see that , but amount of those guys was more than we could handle . We moved to a different spot .

If problem is b/b , why dfo cant make simply leader length restriction ?! I was watching quite a few videos on youtube with legit b/b , and leader about 1-2 feet max ... it`s pretty cool to watch and see how fish takes it . But 10+ feet leaders is just retarded :)

Thanks Alex for mentioning that. It was one of those clearly ugly racist incident in my fishing life I don't want to brag about or remember it. Not too proud of it as a Canadian who lives here for 40+ years. You were standing quite far from me when that happened. They thought I was a loner fisherman of a minority origin so they bullied me. If you were standing by my side at that moment, they would see a big Caucasian with a bouncer size body, like my body guard and would reconsider if it was wise to cut my line or not. LOL. Darn, I lost over 10 ft of Seaguard Blue Label fluorocarbon main line and leader and one guy was trying to pocket my Drenan float until I approached them one against 6 and threatened if they wanted a fight. I said if they wanted to play rough, I would return with my special friends from China Town to greet them next time. And instantly the guy next to me who had verbally roughed me up earlier apologized. LOL.

hrenya

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2016, 02:09:25 AM »

SH clean up your pms , or give me a call , we planning to fish for flatties on Saturday :) I changed phone , and lost your number :(