Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 29069 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: 2016 Fraser River Chinook and Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 09:40:36 AM »

Looking at the # of fish caught by the FNs in the Fraser, the cumulative # of chinook caught in the entire river over the past 4 months is 3422 chinooks. Now if you look at the total number of Sockeye caught by the FNs over the last 6 weeks (July 1st-now) which is 46,664 sockeyes it makes you wonder why the river should be open to FNs netting during the peak of the sockeye run?? What percentage of the fish caught in FNs nets (assuming that they all have been released!) will make it to their spawning grounds? It just doesn't make any sense to have the nets open in the entire river when the forecasted run size is so small.

FN's kept chinook 2016:
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/ChinookKeptCatch.html

FN's caught sockeye 2016:
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/SockeyeKeptCatch.html

EDIT: Pardon my ignorance!  ??? I just looked at the previous FN openings and realized that the FN have been allowed to harvest Sockeye with no limits as of July 31st. So much for minister LeBlanc and his implementation of Cohen recommendations!  ::)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:49:15 AM by RainbowMan »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The Fraser River Panel met Tuesday, August 9 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

Test fishing catches and daily escapements continue to track well below pre-season expectations. The Early Stuart run-size estimate of 18,000 sockeye remained unchanged. At the meeting today the Panel decreased the Early Summer run-size estimate of 300,000 to 250,000 sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 21. At the meeting today the Panel decreased the Summer run-size estimate of 992,000 to 700,000 sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of August 3. Marine and in-river assessment programs are ongoing and will continue to monitor the migration of Fraser River sockeye.

Fraser River conditions continue to be satisfactory for sockeye migration. On August 8 the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 2,881 cms, which is approximately 24% below the historical average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark on August 8 was 19.1 0 C, which is 1.0 0C higher than average for this date. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.

The Panel announced the following regulations for Commercial salmon fisheries in Panel Area waters:

CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

Remain closed to Commercial salmon fisheries.

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, August 12, 2016.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2016/Announcement10.pdf

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »

Friday, August 12, 2016

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 12 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

At the meeting today the run-size estimates for Early Stuart sockeye and Early Summer run sockeye remained unchanged. The Early Stuart migration into the lower Fraser River is complete and the accounted Early Stuart run-to-date is 18,000 sockeye. The approved Early Summer run-size is 250,000 sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 21. At the meeting today the Panel decreased the Summer run-size estimate of 700,000 sockeye to 600,000 sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 31. Assessment programs are ongoing and will continue to monitor Fraser River sockeye migration. Assessment of Late-run sockeye abundance should be available next week.

On August 11 the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 3,002 cms, which is approximately 17% below the historical average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark on August 11 was 20.2 0 C, which is 2.10C higher than average for this date. The Fraser River water temperature at Qualark is forecast to reach 21.8 0 C on August 17. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.

The Panel announced the following regulations for Commercial salmon fisheries in Panel Area waters:

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, August 16, 2016.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2016/Announcement11.pdf

sockeyed

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »

yikes, the numbers are pretty bad  :-\

Projected to be the worse return on record?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:27:19 PM by sockeyed »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 11:26:27 AM »

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Fraser River Panel met Tuesday, August 16 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

At the meeting today there was no change to the run-size estimates of 18,000 Early Stuart sockeye, 250,000 Early Summer run sockeye and 600,000 Summer run sockeye. In-river assessment programs are ongoing and continue to monitor the upstream migration of Fraser sockeye. An abundance estimate of Late- run sockeye should be available later this week.

On August 15 the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 2,925 cms, which is approximately 14% below the historical average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark on August 15 was 20.6 0 C, which is 2.60C higher than average for this date. The Fraser River water temperature at Qualark is forecast to reach 21.1 on August 21. Sustained exposure of sockeye to Fraser River water temperatures in this range has been shown to cause severe stress and early mortality.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, August 19, 2016.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2016/Announcement12.pdf

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 05:07:29 PM »

Friday, August 19, 2016

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 19 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

There were no changes to the Early Stuart run-size estimate of 18,000 sockeye. At the meeting today the Panel decreased the Early Summer run-size estimate from 250,000 sockeye to 240,000 sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 20. The Panel also decreased the Summer run-size estimate from 600,000 sockeye to 520, 000 sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 30. At the meeting today the Panel approved a Late-run abundance estimate of 75,000 sockeye, with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of August 8. The current total Fraser River sockeye return is 853,000 fish with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 27. This would be the lowest total Fraser River sockeye return in the past 100 years. In-river assessment programs will continue to monitor the upstream migration of Fraser sockeye.

On August 18 the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 2,706 cms, which is approximately 15% below the historical average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark on August 18 was 20.6 0 C, which is 2.50C higher than average for this date. The Fraser River water temperature at Qualark is forecast to reach 19.9 on August 24. Sustained exposure of sockeye to Fraser River water temperatures in this range has been shown to cause severe stress and early mortality.

All Panel Area Waters remain closed to Commercial salmon fisheries.

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, August 26, 2016.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2016/Announcement13.pdf

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 08:17:07 PM »

Friday, August 19, 2016

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, August 26, 2016.

Blah Blah Blah...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 08:48:38 PM »

Actually this one is not so blah blah blah if people take the time to read it and notice the significance of these two sentences being highlighted.

Friday, August 19, 2016

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 19 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

There were no changes to the Early Stuart run-size estimate of 18,000 sockeye. At the meeting today the Panel decreased the Early Summer run-size estimate from 250,000 sockeye to 240,000 sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 20. The Panel also decreased the Summer run-size estimate from 600,000 sockeye to 520, 000 sockeye with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 30. At the meeting today the Panel approved a Late-run abundance estimate of 75,000 sockeye, with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of August 8. The current total Fraser River sockeye return is 853,000 fish with a 50% marine timing through Area 20 of July 27. This would be the lowest total Fraser River sockeye return in the past 100 years. In-river assessment programs will continue to monitor the upstream migration of Fraser sockeye.

On August 18 the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 2,706 cms, which is approximately 15% below the historical average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark on August 18 was 20.6 0 C, which is 2.50C higher than average for this date. The Fraser River water temperature at Qualark is forecast to reach 19.9 on August 24. Sustained exposure of sockeye to Fraser River water temperatures in this range has been shown to cause severe stress and early mortality.

All Panel Area Waters remain closed to Commercial salmon fisheries.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 09:15:21 PM »

Hmm didn't notice that. Pretty crappy, wonder why there was boats fishing the Fraser 3 or 4 weeks ago around the Patullo Bridge ? time to sell my river gear. At least I have some pics and stories to show and tell the grand kids. Really wish there was a lake only license, I am so done funding a fishery you don't even know if your going to be able to fish. What a mess.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 09:17:30 PM »

so pissed,  what a mess
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:20:34 PM by minnie-me »

hrenya

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 10:06:39 PM »

norton

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »

The reason they closed the Fraser to Chinook fishing is there was a whole bunch of Chinese flossing for sockeye at laidlaw .

TacoChris

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »

Wow now we get ignorant racist comments not helpful just sad.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »

yeah norton.....not cool!

Tylsie

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »

If that number (853,000) then that would mean that around 15% of the total run thus far was caught; and that only takes into account the sockeye that were recorded. You can safely add a few additional thousand or more.

So 15% off the top, add more significant loss due to water temperatures... I hate to say it but i think you can chalk up this year marking the total end of salmon fishing in the Fraser.  The DFO and the courts gave out enough rope for the every group to hang themselves.