Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: high end centerpin rod advice  (Read 16320 times)

dave c

Re: high end centerpin rod advice
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 04:58:36 AM »

You don't know how to shop or haven't made any friends...
with an attitude like that u probably don't have many friends youself!!! Good luck with your trolling. Haha. Thanks for all the advice friends,  the budget is upped amnd will go custom route. Tks again

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »

It was just a jibe.  Shop around.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 07:15:07 AM »

Another vote for a Sage 2106lb since you already have a beefstick for the Chum and Chinook.

doja

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »

I have a 13' noodle rod and it's my favourite rod above all others....  Have landed chums and 2 small spring g with it in moderate flows but it's a coho/steelhead rod...  Man I love that rod and if I could find 1 that had a bit more beef in the butt towards mid section it'd be an awesome rod for our area....  Maybe instead of a 4 to 8 # rating go for a 6 to 10 # 13' (this would be the next thing I'd like to try) ...  Or 6 to 12# in a 11'6 -  13'.  If you haven't used a noodle rod (aka a float rod)  I'd look at one as it's more "unique/custom"  than a standard " custom"  build and I always get questions about it (mines a stock shimano but it always get attention from pin fishers and only cost about $150) . Also i have the sliding reel seats and I use only a spinning reel (have a pin but it's less effective in every way and I haven't found it enjoyable) but then you have the option of using both kinds of reels which is kinda the point of a custom rod to me...  Something DIFFERENT and more suited to your needs (not sure but throwing it out as an alternative idea...)  or just go stock and enjoy the benefits of cheaper and easier repair costs and purchase...  Just my thoughts

dave c

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 03:51:16 PM »

Tks to all for advice. At freds this afternoon and spoke with the man himself. 3113 custom on order. Tks again.

losos

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 05:56:30 PM »

Now we're talking. I have one myself with really nice alps reel seat. I got it below stated price, well below (to answer Fish or Cut jibe) that ,but am giving an advice to novice who ,it appears has no knowledge of the market and "contacts".
I'd like to know Fish and Cuts how much you paid for your custom 3113 MB at the store.

dave c

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »

Picked up my 3113lb Dave Barnes custom from Freds.  She's a thing of beauty.  Now if I can only find a spring to test her out on.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »

You'll love it. Don't be shy on the hook set as its a pretty limp rod.
Some guys say 3113lb is under gunned for the bigger fish but I've only ever had problems with Big brute Chinook (I mean brutes.) it handles the 10-15 lb chickens no problem.
It's amazing what abuse that rod can take.

dave c

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 10:14:42 PM »

You'll love it. Don't be shy on the hook set as its a pretty limp rod.
Some guys say 3113lb is under gunned for the bigger fish but I've only ever had problems with Big brute Chinook (I mean brutes.) it handles the 10-15 lb chickens no problem.
It's amazing what abuse that rod can take.
Thanks for the tip

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 02:53:37 PM »

Picked up my 3113lb Dave Barnes custom from Freds.  She's a thing of beauty.  Now if I can only find a spring to test her out on.

Glad you like it Dave :D