Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: high end centerpin rod advice  (Read 16475 times)

dave c

high end centerpin rod advice
« on: June 28, 2016, 04:10:51 AM »

Hi guys. Looking for some help here. My wife wants to spoil me for my birthday.  Looking for my first high end CP rod. Price in the 500 - 600 range. Have used many lower end rods, trophy xl, trophy titan (broke), fenwick elite tech, fenwick hmx, . Last year a fellow let me check out his Lamiglas and I was amazed at how light it was.  Last fall I ended up with tennis (fishers) elbow and was out of commission for awhile.  Would like your thoughts on different rods specifically sage, g loomis, lamiglas, st croix. Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Will marry the rod with an Islander steelheader reel. Will use mostly for coho and steelhead. I will probably use my elite tech, kingpin setup for springs and chum unless u can suggest a good all around rod thatcan handle all. Thks muchly

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: high end centerpin rod advice
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:35:02 AM »

Any rod can break and trophy is pretty good with the warranty. 
All the rods mentioned are good rods the deciding factor for me would be the warrantee.
All lifetime warranties are not equal.
You have to remember the shipping and handling as well as the turn around time and customer service.

I'm happy  with Sages warranty and service and a 3113 would be a good choice.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:57:01 AM »

You might want to consider a custom build using the Batson Rainshadow XST1383F.
It is an excellent Centerpin blank - nice power, very light, and flexes deep into the handle.
I don't fish centerpin, but am building one of these for a buddy right now.
I use the XST1263F for my levelwind float fishing and it is the best blank I have seen for fish up to 20 lbs in fast water.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:09:32 AM »

Yes, a custom build would be a cool option.
Custom cork can look pretty cool and you can choose the components.
Rainshadow are nice blanks and there are other options.

fisherforever

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:14:17 AM »

Lamiglas are great rods, I've had a couple but dealing with them for warranty sucks. We have sent a couple in from the shop and the wait time is counted in months.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:14:34 AM »

Lamiglas are great rods, I've had a couple but dealing with them for warranty sucks. We have sent a couple in from the shop and the wait time is counted in months.

x2

kalex60

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:21:15 AM »

Custom rods are a cool way to go but if you are prone to rod breaks i would suggest gloomis warranty or the expeditor service they offer is really quick  to get the rod back to you the warranty also covers the full rod not just the blank any custom rod is a full rebuild if you happen to break it . If you go custom I love the 1263xst rainshadow blanks i have one paired with my milner center pin and it works great

dave c

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »

Who carries rainshadow? What kind of money am I looking at. Can u suggest a builder.  Titan broke bringing a 10 lb doe chum to beach.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:56:31 AM »

You can Google them.
There's a.few good rod builders I'm town who could.probably order and build you one.
Brian Babcock at Searum or Brian Ford at WestCoast Tackle due excellent work.

Any rod can break though.
The Titan is basically a copy of Sage and Trophy has a good warranty and are local.

There could have been a Nick or something that could have been the problem or...

anakin

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »

I use a custom built CTS Affinity float rod 4-8# - 13'  from New Zealand with my Islander pin. Rod weighs only 7.3 ounces, light & is fast action. Have landed 15# steelhead, coho & 16# chum. 13' works great on long drift. Never use my sages anymore. Check out their website.

fisherforever

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »

Who carries rainshadow? What kind of money am I looking at. Can u suggest a builder.  Titan broke bringing a 10 lb doe chum to beach.
If you are close to Chilliwack check out Valley Customs Rods. Chad is a dealer for Rainshadow and has a good stock. www.valleycustomrods.com

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 01:44:08 PM »

Definitely custom build if you are willing to spend that much. Also google some custom rod designs to spark your imagination, there's some very creative work being done out there.

There's a lot of custom parts available that will look very unique and the rod will have a style all your own. The custom builds I see on the local flows all tend to look the same and are somewhat boring IMHO. No offense if you like that traditional look but if you're going to drop that kind of coin might as well have something that looks a bit special.

losos

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 06:12:29 PM »

Definitely custom build if you are willing to spend that much. Also google some custom rod designs to spark your imagination, there's some very creative work being done out there.

There's a lot of custom parts available that will look very unique and the rod will have a style all your own. The custom builds I see on the local flows all tend to look the same and are somewhat boring IMHO. No offense if you like that traditional look but if you're going to drop that kind of coin might as well have something that looks a bit special.
"That kind of coin" will not give him anything special. Sage regular build at any fishing store cost more than $600. I've seen sage although on the net for $1200 US and it was really something.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »

You don't know how to shop or haven't made any friends...

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »

can't go wrong with a sage 2106lb or 3106lb if your just using it for coho/steelhead. sage has an excellent warranty as well as very good re sale value if, down the road you want/need to sell it. Rainshadow has nice rods and a good warranty as well, i had an 11'6 xst 8-12lb and it was perfect for what you are describing. either way your best bet is to hold out and wait for a good price on a used rod in really good shape. custom building rods can get pricey fast. if your set on building, dont cheap out on cork and guides , good components do go a long way.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.