Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye in the Chuck  (Read 12814 times)

Thug

Sockeye in the Chuck
« on: July 20, 2004, 02:29:44 PM »

What are your preferred methods and set ups(don't need to know exact details) for catching this species in saltwater?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Sockeye in the Chuck
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 02:35:50 PM »

Remember sockeyes don't bite ! Having said that use flasher with red hoochies= salt water flossing ! ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 03:02:10 PM »

FA, leader length from hotspot to hoochie?

Varies from day to day but generally 3'

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 03:11:39 PM »

doc try try using small bubblegum pink hoochies

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 04:57:24 PM »

The hoochies should be small 1.5-2", pink or red. Some fishermen even clip every second tentacle to make the hoochie appear smaller. Also you want as many flashers as possible to attract the sockeye to your boat. If possible attach an extra dummy flasher to the downrigger.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 06:32:38 PM »

Normfish, is it the same as pulling the wings off a fly ?  ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 06:43:55 PM »

Are you serious about using spin n' glos for sockeyes in the salt chuck ?

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 07:08:01 PM »

OK this is what I have done in the past before I got heavy into river fishing.  We have fished many different patterns and although some may be better from day to day, this is our overall top all-around producing setup:

Hoochie:  We have found that the smaller hot red glow head hoochies result in more hookups.  Don't use large hoochies I even pull out a few of the tenticles to make the hoochie smaller. I like to use sharp gammies as these fish are easily lost at the boat when they go crazy just before netting.  (sockeye tend to come in easy until they are disturbed at the boat...then the acrobatics start)  Some experienced fishermen use snubbers (a stretchy section of tubing) between the flasher and the leader...this reduces some of the lost fish but I find it a hassle and tend not to use it much unless I am losing a lot of fish.  When hoochies are not producing but there are fish present, it sometimes works to switch to a small pink apex...try it on slow days.

Leader:  24 inches 12 lbs  

Flasher:  Green or red Hot Spot flasher (we found the red more productive but some times the green seems to work when the red will not). If possible run as much flash as possible.  I started getting more hookups when I started running dummy flashers on my down rigger line.  I ran my terminal tackle about 12-15 pulls behind my ball.  The more flash the better!

Troll pattern:  We found that trolling slow worked best.  I ran a sea anchor to slow the boat as my kicker was a bit dicey in rough seas.  We also found that trolling in a straight line along the tide line best.  Occasionally we would slow or speed up and entice a hookup.  Run your down riggers between 40 and 100 feet down, I have rarely hooked sockeye below 100 feet, but I am sure that someone else out there will tell you differently....generally I think we tended to get best results from fishing shallow at first light, and progressively going deeper as the day progressed.

Good luck!  Hope you get them, when you find a large school the action can be intense.  I have had 3 rods pop off the down rigger at the same time!!  When this happens all hell breaks loose...I have to coach my buddies to reel in the fish, steer the boat, bring up the balls, net the fish, etc...quite exciting!  Hope this helps probably similar to what everyone else uses.

otto

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 07:13:09 PM »

can you cast a hoochie skirt with a lead jig head for weight from shore ????

thinking of using my saltwater spincasting reel/rod, with 20lb braid and a 1OZ jighead with a glowred hooochie skirt on it, cast out let fall, retriiev, let fal etc etc ...

thoughts???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 08:30:35 PM »

I have never seen or heard it done but you never know.

otto

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 08:46:49 PM »

thanks Normfish!!! just thought i'd ask...guess i gotta get a boat in the next year or so!!!! oh darn  ;D

otto

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 04:23:28 AM »

No problem Otto, did I mention that some guys are lucky using a 25 m long pole to get their offering out to the salmon.

Seriously, keep your eyes open in the local papers and Buy and sell. A nice boat will come your way, unless Max gets to it first.
 Good Luck. ;D

ooookkkkkaaaaayyyyy yea whatever...25 METER longpole NOrmFish?? i doubt it..maybe 25 feet  8)

demco99

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2004, 03:11:48 PM »

Anybody know when the sockeye will show up in the local (vancouver) saltwater? I remeber last year going out and there mustve been 40 boats out there all fishing socks but cant rememerb the time of year...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 03:15:51 PM »

If the sockeyes are showing in the Fraser, I would imagine that they will be off the mouth of the Fraser as well.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 11:15:32 PM »

As far as the more flash the better it's true.

I rigged up a half dozen CD's-probably AOL junk I found somewhere-on 80# mono and dragged them off the downrigger ball -just above them a green flasher with a glo squirt and it worked-this was 2 years ago.

All you need is some useless CD's some heavy mono and some crimps and you're in business!