Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night time fishing closure for Tidal Fraser River  (Read 12806 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Night time fishing closure for Tidal Fraser River
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 01:59:32 PM »

Though it should make enforcement easier since if anyone is out there wetting a line at night, you know they are there in contradiction to the regs.

hrenya

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 04:53:43 PM »

Though it should make enforcement easier since if anyone is out there wetting a line at night, you know they are there in contradiction to the regs.
that`s true , but as mentioned above "if they are the only ones fishing" who will see them ?! last year co`s were checking me every day at tidal fraser , I saw them cruising on boat up to 5 times a day , BUT never saw them in a dark time ... I fished few times till 2-3am with my buddy cuz conditions were prime , NOT even a single co ever checked me at evening/night time . But like I said during the day they do it . I think Rieber got a nice point by mentioning 2 problems : 1) no people fishing , no people will be reporting cuz they don`t see , 2) emergency wise .

Twitchy

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »

The people who break the rules won't be afraid to break one more imo.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »

. I think Rieber got a nice point by mentioning 2 problems : 1) no people fishing , no people will be reporting cuz they don`t see , 2) emergency wise .
Using this logic then there should be no fishing prohibition on any water at any time.

Burbot

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »

As a freeman of the land i will hunt and fish whenever I need to.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 07:45:15 AM »

Why do you think you have that right?

TNAngler

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »

I think less boats on the water to report could be an issue.  At the same time though, if there is nobody supposed to be fishing, it is a lot easier for the authorities to check and therefore fewer people can check more areas in a shorter amount of time.  If they are checking boats and say there are 20 boats in a stretch that are fishing and only one of them is illegal, that is going to take a boat an hour or two to check them all.  However, if nobody is supposed to be fishing, a quick drive up the river will indicate that and that one boat can check to make sure nobody is fishing in 10-15 minutes.  So, it might not be an effort to get rid of all enforcement but to make the enforcement there much more effective so that fewer people can cover more area in a shorter amount of time.

doja

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 03:28:54 AM »

Is it possible that this has absolutely nothing to do with fishing and more with clearing traffic from the Fraser River at night so it's right full owners (big bussiness)  can move freely at night with no pesky Fishermen in the way? They are increasing the capacity of the terminals for cargo from ships (why we need a new bridge)...

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 01:03:36 PM »

Maybe for some, but not all. Many legit sturgeon anglers prefer to fish at night because it's quieter and peaceful, and/or they work shift.

I'm a little late to this conversation but someone just mentioned to me that there is no sturgeon fishing at night anymore, does this apply to the tidal portion of Fraser as well. Regs are a little bit confusing.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »

--spawning salmon usually move at night...maybe it is actually a regulation for the fish rather than a penalty for the fishers.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 12:33:01 AM »

The primary purpose of the night time blanket fishing closure in the Lower Fraser River is to stop sturgeon poaching.

At the time when this was being consulted with the Sport Fishing Advisory Committee, we all agreed that it would not work. Removing legit anglers who are eyes and ears on the river at night, the poachers are still out there unless enforcement increases significantly.

Back to the earlier question, night time closure applies to both the Tidal and Non-tidal Fraser River. I have been trying to find the actual written information on DFO's website, but it's not there which is not surprising. The current online regulations are very poorly organized and presented. I actually don't expect anyone to find the information needed and understand it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:38:53 AM by Rodney »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »

Why dont we ban fishing in regions that have have little to no enforcement. Lack of CO's ? Pfft no problem. Ban fishing and hunting. It's simple. They should ban fishing 9n the squamish all together because of the DFO cutbacks. Common people use you heads  :P

I didn't know poaching Sturgeon on the lower was at epic levels that they felt the need to close it at night. Last time I checked 7 sturgeon have died in the month of August due to Sockeye nets. Those are the ones that I know about and we are punishing the rec sector ? Typical.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:13:49 AM by Hike_and_fish »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »

"Freemen-on-the-land (also freemen-of-the-land, the freemen movement or simply freemen) are a loose group of individuals who believe that they are bound by statute laws only if they consent to those laws. They believe that they can therefore declare themselves independent of the government and the rule of law, holding that the only "true" law is their own interpretation of "common law".[1] This belief has been described as a conspiracy theory"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemen_on_the_land

Another rationalist website describes the phrase as a 'pseudo-legal woo' :

[4] In short: saying a few magic incantations super-secret legal phrases will get you out of anything!]Freemen believe they can opt out of being governed, and that what normal people understand to be "laws" are merely a form of "contract" that applies only if people consent to it.[3][4] In short: saying a few magic incantations super-secret legal phrases will get you out of anything!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Shinny

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »

This is the problem right here... people who think they are special when they aren’t. No one NEEDS to hunt and fish, not locally around here at least. Your not living in remote Ketchikan. Go to the grocery store like an ethical human being instead of poaching your dinner  ::) ughhhh people are the worst kind of people.

I’m going to make some assumptions here as this is your typical poacher. Guy in his late 40’s or older. Been fishing for his entire life, fishing the past few years has been on the decline with longer closures and less fish. Pissed off about FN and commercial openings all summer, he has lived here his entire life and as so is entitled to take whatever he wants whenever he wants it. Who cares about the next generation.  Maybe this is just my rant. I’m 38, been fishing for 8 years so not too long but long enough to have an opinion. I’m just pissed off that the generation before me was so short sighted and it seems that conservation wasn’t even a thought.  Just take take take and now we are just trying to conserve what’s left and try and rebuild if it isn’t too late. I have my flame suit on for my comments and stand by them.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »

Back to the earlier question, night time closure applies to both the Tidal and Non-tidal Fraser River. I have been trying to find the actual written information on DFO's website, but it's not there which is not surprising. The current online regulations are very poorly organized and presented. I actually don't expect anyone to find the information needed and understand it.

I was pretty sure I had read the night closure of both the tidal/non-tidal somewhere before but had a heck of a time finding the info again. They certainly aren't making it easy.

The restriction for the tidal Fraser is currently on this DFO page, buried at the bottom of the "Other Finfish" tab: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

The restriction for the non-tidal Fraser is in the Freshwater Synopsis, Region 2.

Is this because the DFO doesnt manage the non-tidal Fraser except for salmon while the province doesnt manage the tidal portions, but they coordinated on the night-time closure so it now is mentioned in both sets of regs?