Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar fishing video  (Read 10352 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Bar fishing video
« on: December 20, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »

Here is a bar fishing video I just put together from September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiKdnopiOEA

dobrolub

Re: Bar fishing video
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:53:34 PM »

Here is funny one: https://youtu.be/k4EYAbI73hw

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 08:14:04 PM »

Just being a tad cheeky here, and also a little bit serious, but is it still called bar fishing when you do it from a boat, and not a sand/gravel bar?

Isn't it just called "boat fishing" then?  ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:48:58 PM »

Just being a tad cheeky here, and also a little bit serious, but is it still called bar fishing when you do it from a boat, and not a sand/gravel bar?

Cheeky reply: It's called "bar" fishing because of all the beer, cider and other booze that people chug while sitting on their chairs hoping to get lucky.  ;)

Serious reply: The name "bar fishing" does not stem from "river bar", but from the "spreader bar" used in the setup, such as this one:

Funny how the word "bar" in "bar fishing" has become a synonym of fishing with a stationary setup from the river bank, when in fact you can bar fish from a boat, dock, beach, even a house porch.
Ah, the mysteries of language evolution. :D

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:04:24 AM by milo »

SPEYMAN

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »

"Bar Fishing" has been called "Bar Fishing" for many more years than"spreader rigs" have been around. I can vouch for 70 years and have known others than can vouch for 70 more.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »

Serious reply: The name "bar fishing" does not stem from "river bar", but from the "spreader bar" used in the setup, such as this one:

You are a learned man, Milo, so I know you won't be offended if I ask you to cite any etymological references that support the meaning of the term "bar fishing" is derived from the fishing gear, and not the fishing location.

BTW nice video Rod :)

islanddude

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 05:46:16 PM »

What the video said to me was boat fishing salmon or what ever bites from a boat. Nothing to do with what I know bar fishing meant to me and countless other Fraser Valley fishermen.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »

"plunking"

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 12:17:01 AM »

You are a learned man, Milo, so I know you won't be offended if I ask you to cite any etymological references that support the meaning of the term "bar fishing" is derived from the fishing gear, and not the fishing location.

No offense taken, of course. We do not need to go any further than our very own Fishing With Rod web site:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/river_fishing/bar_fishing_made_simple.html

And I quote: "Bar fishing is very easy and the setup is simple. Not a lot of equipment is needed. Here is a list of what you need. (...)
Rod holders: You will also need a good bar rod holder. These can be simply made by taking some bar metal, cutting a V at one end and taping on a piece of PVC pipe that is big enough to fit your rod in securely. (...)
A bar fishing setup is pretty basic, which consists of a spreader bar, leader, spin n' glow, hook."

So much for the gear. There is the use of the word 'bar' twice, once for the spreader and once for the metal rod holder, which, incidentally, is more likely to give the method its name than the spreader bar because the primary meaning of the word bar is 'supporting beam, or tube' (ref: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bar).

Back to the fishing with rod article:

Picking Your Spot

You will want to find a spot that has a gradual slope, or has a trough or hole where springs travel or hold. The water should be at least 5 feet deep. You do not want your water to be moving too fast, nor too slow. A fast brisk walking speed is excellent water. This lets the spin n' glow spin freely and perfectly. If the water is too swift then the spin n' glow will spin too fast. On the other hand, it is not effective in slow water as it will barely spin.

No mention of bar, right? ;)

And just some food for thought before bedtime, if "bar fishing" were to derive its name strictly from the location (a river bar), any fishing from said bar would qualify as "bar fishing", even flossing!

Back to you.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 12:32:34 AM »

So let me get this straight, and summarize...

clarki: Rod says it is barfishing, but is it really?

Milo: yes, it is

clarki: how come?

Milo: because FWR says so

A little circular, don'tcha think?  Gonna have to try a little harder than that.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 12:51:31 AM »

So let me get this straight, and summarize...

clarki: Rod says it is barfishing, but is it really?

Milo: yes, it is

clarki: how come?

Milo: because FWR says so

A little circular, don'tcha think?  Gonna have to try a little harder than that.

LOL! It's not that simple.
Just click on the dictionary link, read the FIRST entry for "bar" and put 2+2 together. It's logical. Fishing with a rod stuck in a BAR holder. Such holder can be placed anywhere, not only a gravel or sand bar.

Besides, if the term bar fishing stems from the location (a Fraser river bar), any method of fishing done from the bar would qualify as "bar fishing". Or not?  ;)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »

So, bar is either referencing the rod holder, spot on the river, or spreader bar?

3xbarfishing, whatever it is referencing it is just the term we use in BC

Or...

Plunking, as it is referred to simply means to have the bait or lure stationary on a river bottom allowing the current to create the action.  Most people in the US use the term associated with stationary river fishing, usually for salmon.

Check out youtube for dozens of types of setups with that one thing in common.  Spreader bar or not.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »

Good to see some of you have finally noticed the video... ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 10:42:02 AM »

no!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »

no!

Relax, we already established that. It's not the spreader bar, it's the bar holder.  :P

Seriously, assuming that the name "bar fishing" indeed stems from the location  (a river bar, or bank) and not from the equipment, it would be logical to claim that all the people on the pic below are "bar fishermen" as they are all fishing from a Fraser river gravel bar.

If so, I stand corrected.   ;D