Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar fishing video  (Read 10341 times)

GordJ

Re: Bar fishing video
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »

Relax, we already established that. It's not the spreader bar, it's the bar holder.  :P

Seriously, assuming that the name "bar fishing" indeed stems from the location  (a river bar, or bank) and not from the equipment, it would be logical to claim that all the people on the pic below are "bar fishermen" as they are all fishing from a Fraser river gravel bar.

If so, I stand corrected.   ;D
I do agree that they are fishers on a bar, however I think your assumption is based on a presumption that that bar fishing was named after the onset of bottom bouncing the Fraser and I believe this is incorrect. I believe that bar fishing was named before the bottom bouncing craze came into being and the only common way to fish the bars was with a fixed weight on the bottom. Before the introduction of spreader bars it was called bar fishing, the spreader followed the method just like bottom bouncing preceded bouncing betties.
I know that we fished with a fixed weight and a bait attached to a three way swivel between the weight and the rod long before we knew about fancy stuff like spreaders and at that time we went bar fishing at places like Two bit bar and Derby Reach. If we went to the bar and were casting spoons we weren't bar fishing even though we were fishing on a bar.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »

I do agree that they are fishers on a bar, however I think your assumption is based on a presumption that that bar fishing was named after the onset of bottom bouncing the Fraser and I believe this is incorrect. I believe that bar fishing was named before the bottom bouncing craze came into being and the only common way to fish the bars was with a fixed weight on the bottom. Before the introduction of spreader bars it was called bar fishing, the spreader followed the method just like bottom bouncing preceded bouncing betties.
I know that we fished with a fixed weight and a bait attached to a three way swivel between the weight and the rod long before we knew about fancy stuff like spreaders and at that time we went bar fishing at places like Two bit bar and Derby Reach. If we went to the bar and were casting spoons we weren't bar fishing even though we were fishing on a bar.
Just like the saying "are they blueberries or blue berries"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 02:33:42 PM »

Milo I think you've been spending too much time at a familiar kind of bar.  ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »

Milo I think you've been spending too much time at a familiar kind of bar.  ;D

Not too much. But I sure have a well-stocked bar at home.  ;D

Just having some fun guys. It's a quiet rainy weekend.  ;)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »

Those are snaggers snagging on a bar. :D ;)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 09:38:38 PM »

I beleive the term is flossing.  ;D

Oh, and nice vid Rod.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »

My 2 cents worth a mil in sense.
Line hook & sinker.
Bar rig sold at Army & Navy ...back in 70's had yellow cardboard  & plastic clear paper.
We went fishing at sand bars on the River.
Always assumed a bar rig is used at bars of any kind. River & inlet ...
But hold on in this bar rig package is two twisted metal wires that short fish line & hook are attached.
Looks like 2 small metal bars.
In trying to explain & clarify I'm more confused than ever.
As far as noticing Rod's vids. They are tops & you must have 5-6 million in your savings account.
If not we the fishing crowd are being treated for "peanuts "

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »

But hold on in this bar rig package is two twisted metal wires that short fish line & hook are attached.
Looks like 2 small metal bars.
In trying to explain & clarify I'm more confused than ever.

Don't sweat it, A-BOATER. There are 3 (THREE) 'bar' components in bar fishing: the spreader bar, the rod holder bar, and the Fraser river bar. Either of them can give the method its name: bar fishing.
Take your pick.

Just like "bottom bouncing" sounds better than "flossing", "bar fishing" sounds better than "plunking".
But plunking it is - no more, no less.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »

5 to 6 millions in my savings account.... I'd shut down this forum right away if I have that much... ;D

Magz

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 12:27:18 AM »

Thats very funny Rodney.got a good chuckle there.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 06:54:03 AM »

But what's the difference between a bar and a pub?

TNAngler

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 07:44:29 AM »

Relax, we already established that. It's not the spreader bar, it's the bar holder.  :P

Seriously, assuming that the name "bar fishing" indeed stems from the location  (a river bar, or bank) and not from the equipment, it would be logical to claim that all the people on the pic below are "bar fishermen" as they are all fishing from a Fraser river gravel bar.

If so, I stand corrected.   ;D

I realize you are an Old Timer so we will give you a pass for bad eyes but it is very clear that at least 4 of those people currently are holding rods but with their lines not in the water.  If that is any type of fishing, I am not aware.  The ones with lines in the water though, are indeed fishing from a river bar.