Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobody fly fishin'?  (Read 15007 times)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
Nobody fly fishin'?
« on: July 14, 2004, 03:40:18 PM »

Hey guys,
This board has been quuuiiieeettt???

Has everbody abandoned their fly gear for bottom bouncing for salmon ??? ??? ???

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:Nobody fly fishin'?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 03:50:05 PM »

Mainly because the fly-fisherman on this site only fish up in the Interior and Cariboo......which has been really hot and the water temperatures are like bathtubs depending on elevation.

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 04:52:18 PM »

I can learn from lack of success too.  Would kind of show where NOT to go ;D

The bottom bouncers have kicked us fly fishers from the limelight :o :o

Must be nice to go swimming in the interior ;D

markyboy

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 04:44:15 PM »

I'm very much a 'beginner' fly fisher but my take is that we're now in the summer doldrums for many of the local lakes.  Doesn't mean that you can't catch fish, but it is a little bit harder as the fish are often in deeper water or generally more sluggish and not feeding as actively.

There are lakes at higher elevations that will produce since the temperature up high tends to be less, and the active feeding season is shorter.  Also, there are glacier fed lakes (like Chilliwack Lake) that remains colder during the entire season. I'm thinking of heading up to Chilliwack in the next few weeks sometime and will post my report but in ther meantime I will switch to carp and <sigh> chub fishing.

I was wondering if anyone cared to comment on local stream and river fishing for trout this time of year. I would expect it to be affected a little by summer doldrums, but less so than the lakes. If so, it may be worth trying out.

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 04:52:09 PM »

Anyone's been on Skagit recently.  They opened July 1, and is supposed to be a GREAT river for fly fishing (catch & release- bring your camera kind of river).

d_w

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 05:43:08 PM »

its been pretty warm up in the interior right now, so havent been up there, going up later in the summer,

Early morning and NIGHT fishing will be good
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Acute Angler

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 06:10:47 PM »

Hoping to hit the Skagit this Sunday to wet the dozens of dries I tied over the winter.  Last weekend the sections in Manning Park looked tantalizing, but all I had with me was golf clubs!
Second to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Bubbles

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 08:25:20 AM »

Good question - anyone seen the Skagit lately?
Bubbles' Rap
I got a grey kitty, white one, and a tabby too/
And a big orange guy who put snakes in my shoes

Sandhead

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 03:09:07 PM »

Don't know about the river, but the lake is fishing well. 12-14" trout seemed to be the norm.
Cool thing about that lake is the water is relatively clear so you can see the trout cruise around. Can't wait to get back
Ain't no HO like a COHO

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 03:12:31 PM »

Don't know about the river, but the lake is fishing well. 12-14" trout seemed to be the norm.
Cool thing about that lake is the water is relatively clear so you can see the trout cruise around. Can't wait to get back

Skagit Lake?  I thought Skagit river drains into Ross Lake. ???

Sandhead

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 03:20:06 PM »

Thats right my mistake, ross lake is correct
Ain't no HO like a COHO

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 03:38:15 PM »

Thats right my mistake, ross lake is correct

I have also heard Ross Lake has good fishing.  But for fly fishing purists, I believe Skagit River is the one (disclaimer: have not been to either).

Sandhead

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 03:55:59 PM »

You’re correct that the Skagit River is the area more popular for the "purists".  I've always found that I'm more successful and enjoy flyfishing lakes more than rivers. I sometimes use my 8wt to fish for pinks and cohos but mostly use gear to river fish (with the exception of non coastal rivers where I always use the fly rod).  I couldn’t imagine being able to land a spring on the fly, certainly not with my setup.

On that note one of my fishing partners uses the fly exclusively for salmon (I have seen him hook into a spring but he was unable to land it, and he seems to be able to hold his own chum fishing).
Ain't no HO like a COHO

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 04:21:01 PM »

You&#8217;re correct that the Skagit River is the area more popular for the "purists".  I've always found that I'm more successful and enjoy flyfishing lakes more than rivers. I sometimes use my 8wt to fish for pinks and cohos but mostly use gear to river fish (with the exception of non coastal rivers where I always use the fly rod).  I couldn&#8217;t imagine being able to land a spring on the fly, certainly not with my setup.

On that note one of my fishing partners uses the fly exclusively for salmon (I have seen him hook into a spring but he was unable to land it, and he seems to be able to hold his own chum fishing).

Sandhead, I can see fly fishing working for Salmon, if the waters are calm.  Not on Vedder right now, since you cannot get the fly to the bottom.

Also know of people who ff in the ocean close to Cap's mouth.  But I am told you need to cast really good to do that (I am working on it).  I don't have the proper set up yet (I have a 6 weight setup), but can see myself getting into 9 weight when I am better.  I believe there will be some fall salmon fishing (Mamquam?) that would yield itself to ff.

As far as Skagit River, I am told is a slower river with deep pools, etc.  I personally like the challenge of navigating rocks, throwing the line with some precision, etc. which is lacking from deeper lake fishing.  But evernone has their own preference :D

FLYallAROUND

• Getzlaf is amazing
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 04:43:29 PM »

flynut you can fly fish for salmon in faster rivers and even on the vedder now, just maker sure you have a heavy sinking line or sinktip to get you down deep and fast.