Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobody fly fishin'?  (Read 15008 times)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
Re:Nobody fly fishin'?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 08:30:03 PM »

flynut you can fly fish for salmon in faster rivers and even on the vedder now, just maker sure you have a heavy sinking line or sinktip to get you down deep and fast.

FLYallAROUND
Hey, I did try with a fast-sinking tip line.  But the water is way way too fast, and unless one is a great caster (not me), there is just not enough time to get it down there, before you are at then end of the drift.   Somehow not the idea f.f. environment.

FLYallAROUND

• Getzlaf is amazing
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 08:48:06 PM »

flynut, make sure you mend the line a bit. gives it a little extra time to get it down ;)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2004, 08:59:21 PM »

flynut, make sure you mend the line a bit. gives it a little extra time to get it down ;)

Didn't work for me. Everyone was catching them but me.  Either I am not a good caster (which I am not), or the water is too fast.

Has anyone had success with fly fishing on Vedder, with this kind of river flow.

Sandhead

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 03:56:22 PM »

Were you fishing the canal section of the river or the upper portion?
Ain't no HO like a COHO

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 04:38:42 PM »

Were you fishing the canal section of the river or the upper portion?

I went with a friend, so I don't know the exact place.  But I think it was mid-river, and fast moving.  Any recommendation as to where fly fishing would work, on Vedder today?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2004, 06:38:36 PM »

are you casting slightly upstream then mending? or push a roll cast behind. I use an ultra fast sinking/  shooting head, had a couple of takes but not landed any yet ,met one guy who uses about 30" lead line just before the leader.system worked for me in the past just not this season Yet.  
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2004, 07:16:55 PM »

are you casting slightly upstream then mending? or push a roll cast behind. I use an ultra fast sinking/  shooting head, had a couple of takes but not landed any yet ,met one guy who uses about 30" lead line just before the leader.system worked for me in the past just not this season Yet.  

I was casting upstream with a floating line with a ultra-fast sinking leader.  Not a sinking tip.

I don't have a great cast, so that was not helping me any, since the fly would not make it to the middle of the river or beyond.  If I waded any deeper, I would be the subject of a long thread about the fly fisher who bit the dust :o :o

I am glad to hear that you had a few strikes.  That is a great sign :D  Probably the approach is with ultra-fast sinking tip line (not leader).

Can you explain the 30" lead line.

What weight setup were you using, Sandy?

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 05:15:08 PM »

Just home from Tunkwa, 100's caught on the chronies, and I mean 100's. No crap, they were slaying them up there, seemed to bite all day too. I was the first one out one morning, and had fish right away, 7am or earlier.

Normfish, that is seriously encouraging.  Thanks for sharing :D :D

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2004, 12:27:17 PM »

Awfully generous report Normfish, thanks dude.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2004, 11:21:32 AM »

Norm...good to see you are finally getting it together by changing from your cast iron ford fenders to chronomids.....you will not be sorry. Next step, a Maple Leaf hat.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"