Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warning: Grizzlies upper Squamish  (Read 5178 times)

RG

Warning: Grizzlies upper Squamish
« on: November 15, 2015, 08:24:52 PM »

Saw a Grizzly sow with two cubs on the upper Squamish wednesday and today.  A kind reminder to give them space, and to be mindful of them while driving.  Cheers.

Kever

Re: Warning: Grizzlies upper Squamish
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:25:57 PM »

I saw one on the cheakamus a couple weeks ago. Stole one of the natives fish then went back up the hill.

4TheKids

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »

There has been a black bear with brown coloring hanging around the Chekamus for the last couple of weeks. He is big but not a grizzly. I had one of the railway guys chase him straight at me (unintentional). That was a sight.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:08:20 PM »

I saw one on the cheakamus a couple weeks ago. Stole one of the natives fish then went back up the hill.
Yah , I saw that to , grabbed the fish crossed the log bridge and up into the bush . I was just wondering what those dudes in the pontoon boat were doing cruising down river with a radio antenna tracker . Maybe looking for that grizz  ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:29:49 AM »

I was just wondering what those dudes in the pontoon boat were doing cruising down river with a radio antenna tracker . Maybe looking for that grizz  ;)

The guys in the poontoon boat were tracking radio tagged chum as part of the population estimate that is done under the BC Hydro Water Use Plan.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 09:40:52 AM »

Oh , ok . Chum were in good numbers that day . Nice to see .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 04:39:29 PM »

The guys in the poontoon boat were tracking radio tagged chum as part of the population estimate that is done under the BC Hydro Water Use Plan.
Are the tags used small orange circles over the fishes back? If so I have counted over 30 chum with tags on them this year.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

Kever

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »

There has been a black bear with brown coloring hanging around the Chekamus for the last couple of weeks. He is big but not a grizzly. I had one of the railway guys chase him straight at me (unintentional). That was a sight.

The grizzly I saw was a cub. Might be shot now as it was on Native land and not afraid of people. But maybe not, they tolerate the presence of "3 toe", a black bear with, you guessed it, 3 toes.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:59:33 PM »

Are the tags used small orange circles over the fishes back? If so I have counted over 30 chum with tags on them this year.

Yes those are the tags. They are called Peterson tags. There are several different colors out they but generally orange in color.
The grizzly I saw was a cub. Might be shot now as it was on Native land and not afraid of people. But maybe not, they tolerate the presence of "3 toe", a black bear with, you guessed it, 3 toes.

Damn well better not have been shot by anyone as they are 100% protected in this area. The Squamish Nation supports the grizzly recovery and will not back any of their members if a bear is killed by them. That being said it has never been an issue.

Most people would be surprised to know how many grizzlies are actually in the valley ( up to 50 seasonly) and how close they come to town ( one in the garbage dump last year) and I ran into one earlier this fall that was on the lower Squamish. Walked in on him about 15 minutes after first light at the waters edge while he was feeding on dead chum. Was about 50 feet away and he was 600+ lbs. All I can say was that his my friend was huge as he was walking away. Was with my bear biologist buddy and all he said was " Well that is a good one".
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:01:47 PM by bkk »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 09:26:56 PM »

Yes those are the tags. They are called Peterson tags. There are several different colors out they but generally orange in color. Damn well better not have been shot by anyone as they are 100% protected in this area. The Squamish Nation supports the grizzly recovery and will not back any of their members if a bear is killed by them. That being said it has never been an issue.

Most people would be surprised to know how many grizzlies are actually in the valley ( up to 50 seasonly) and how close they come to town ( one in the garbage dump last year) and I ran into one earlier this fall that was on the lower Squamish. Walked in on him about 15 minutes after first light at the waters edge while he was feeding on dead chum. Was about 50 feet away and he was 600+ lbs. All I can say was that his my friend was huge as he was walking away. Was with my bear biologist buddy and all he said was " Well that is a good one".

Grizzlies do have a way of putting things in perspective, don't they ;D  A few years ago my wife and 2 dogs ( both on leashes, don't know why as that is rare for us out in the bush) met up with a sow and 2 yearling cubs, on a trail along the upper Horsefly River.   They were about 40' away when we saw them/they saw us ... I said a few swear words and nearly soiled my pants... my wife said something like      "aren't the beautiful"       my dogs just looked at them        and most importantly, the bears     just left, right now and almost silently.    That was 3 good ones ;)