Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho in Lafarge Lake????  (Read 13501 times)

hrenya

Re: Coho in Lafarge Lake????
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 09:55:33 PM »

the one I got at rice was on blade , I was trying out home made blades and hooked 1 up . that was the only time . other times I tried roe (single eggs) and only rb bitting it :) pretty sure they getting in rice through some creeks from Seymour , but some people say that they might came from hatchery mixed with rb ... for me first version sounds more realistic . they are really tiny and silver and completely different from rb  but really similar to kokanee :)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 10:02:31 PM »

Some dude pulled a nice sized one out of Deer Lake in Burnaby float fishing with some type of red corn. Right under the dock a few years back.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 10:58:28 AM »

Didn't think I was. I don't doubt that there are coho there. I do however think that for lakes such as Rice and Lafarge that are specifically promoted as places to learn to fish, and as catch and keep fisheries they should promote the fact that the Coho are there. It would allow people to be able to identify them and reduce the amount taken. If I was learning to fish, and I was everywhere I looked the only mention I could find was rainbow trout if I caught another salmonid I could very likely conclude it is a different strain of rainbow trout.

No worries, I certainly did not feel picked on.  I agree completely with your sentiment.  I went up to the ranger station and mentioned the fact that Coho were present in the lake and that it would be a good idea to post a sign warning anglers to release these fish.  They did not seam to care much, probably not their responsibility.

Having since caught plenty of jacks they are obvious, but for the novice angler who is expecting rainbow and may never have seen a coho before, its expecting a lot for them to figure out they need to release these fish.

I have also heard the rumor about a combined or cross stock or even accidental stocking.  However, all the Coho I have caught in Rice have had very sharply defined tail fins, while all the stocked rainbows have had the points on their tail fins worn down until they are rounded; presumably from close proximity to large numbers of other fish in the rearing pens.

Here is a photo of the rice Lake Coho I posted elsewhere: 

Please note, before I get roasted, they were not my fish! 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:09:23 AM by Knnn »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »

but some people say that they might came from hatchery mixed with rb

Any time someone tells you this in the future, you can tell them it is not the case.

FFSBC is the only company that stocks the lakes around Vancouver - specifically the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery. We do not raise any salmon at all in our facility.

Furthermore, if stocks get mixed (any stocks, even steelhead with steelhead of a different flow), unfortunately all those fish are not able to be stocked. Instead of killing them, they will typically find a man made run that has no specific genetic strain (such as the Stave) to put them in, rather than culling them all.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that it's impossible for FFSBC to accidentally stock a kokanee (something I've heard before from other anglers), or a landlocked coho.