Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strategic voting to get rid of Harper...  (Read 15722 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Strategic voting to get rid of Harper...
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:56 PM »

That was one red tide I don't mind. Mission accomplished. Now it's time to start holding feet to the fire to get some work done on to restore what was lost or legislated away.
http://

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 12:15:40 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei50lM6ab1c&feature=youtu.be&list=RDEi50lM6ab1c

Harperman we want you gone, gone, gone. People have spoken. He's history.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:18:02 AM by Fish Assassin »

salmonrook

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »

That was one red tide I don't mind. Mission accomplished. Now it's time to start holding feet to the fire to get some work done on to restore what was lost or legislated away.
Nobody had a worse record than  Harper,clean water act was stripped and the national parks act was watered down to  allow all sorts of resource development .Good riddance !

Burbot

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:24 PM »

The Niqab issue killed Mulcair.  Plus having the same dead beats running his campaign as Dix did not help.  Both times NDP were leading in polls and managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.   I am done with the NDP, I wasted to much of my life hoping, helping, supporting now to have Mulcair destroy all that Jack built.  I am too old now for them to ever be a force in my life time.

Hopefully the libs keep their promise and return the retirement age to 65, remove parts of C-51, electoral reform Plus re legalising Cannabis would be ok too But Justin supports TPP and did vote C-51 and with the history of Liberals not keeping their promises I won't hold my breathe too much but will give him a chance.

The funny thing too is Trudeau only did so well because of FPTP he received less popular votes than Steve did in 2011. Steve Received 39.6% and JT 39.5%.   I know I know just .1% less in popular support but still less nevertheless.

The Greens are just a one person party. I thought they would of done better on the Island but nope. Even with a Liberal win known before polls closed  still nyet other than Mays. I thought they would of won Victoria with the Liberal dropping out. Maybe they would of won it if Liberal stayed? I dunno...

What is going to happen to the Greens when May retires? Will they fade away for a while? At least May now will get a golden pension.   

The Greens also went from 6.78 % in 2008 to 3.91% in 2011 to 3.40 % last night.  May is not as popular as many think I guess other than her riding.  Funny if we had pro rep they would of had 22 seats in 2008 but 0 in 2011 and 2015.  Most PR uses 5% min for a seat.  Would the greens get more support under pro rep with people knowing their votes would count?

There was a 68.9% voter turnout.

The cons? Well they will probably be in power again in a decade as Canadians do not like real change but tiny change it seems.  It will depend who they have for leader and if the Reform faction and the PC faction split.

There  is no leader that can save the NDP.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »

The Niqab issue killed Mulcair.  Plus having the same dead beats running his campaign as Dix did not help.  Both times NDP were leading in polls and managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.   I am done with the NDP, I wasted to much of my life hoping, helping, supporting now to have Mulcair destroy all that Jack built.  I am too old now for them to ever be a force in my life time.

Hopefully the libs keep their promise and return the retirement age to 65, remove parts of C-51, electoral reform Plus re legalising Cannabis would be ok too But Justin supports TPP and did vote C-51 and with the history of Liberals not keeping their promises I won't hold my breathe too much but will give him a chance.

The funny thing too is Trudeau only did so well because of FPTP he received less popular votes than Steve did in 2011. Steve Received 39.6% and JT 39.5%.   I know I know just .1% less in popular support but still less nevertheless.

The Greens are just a one person party. I thought they would of done better on the Island but nope. Even with a Liberal win known before polls closed  still nyet other than Mays. I thought they would of won Victoria with the Liberal dropping out. Maybe they would of won it if Liberal stayed? I dunno...

What is going to happen to the Greens when May retires? Will they fade away for a while? At least May now will get a golden pension.   

The Greens also went from 6.78 % in 2008 to 3.91% in 2011 to 3.40 % last night.  May is not as popular as many think I guess other than her riding.  Funny if we had pro rep they would of had 22 seats in 2008 but 0 in 2011 and 2015.  Most PR uses 5% min for a seat.  Would the greens get more support under pro rep with people knowing their votes would count?

There was a 68.9% voter turnout.

The cons? Well they will probably be in power again in a decade as Canadians do not like real change but tiny change it seems.  It will depend who they have for leader and if the Reform faction and the PC faction split.

There  is no leader that can save the NDP.

Burbot you make some key points and I share a lot of your frustration about the NDP.

One thing to note about your popular vote stat is that yes Trudeau did not get much more in percentage than Harper got in 2011, but he actually did get many more votes because the voter turnout was quite a bit higher with people in my generation (millenials) and aboriginals coming out to vote.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:33:37 PM by swimmingwiththefishes »

lovetofish

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

One thing to note about your popular vote stat is that yes Trudeau did not get much more in percentage than Harper got in 2011, but he actually did get many more votes because the voter turnout was quite a bit higher with people in my generation (millenials) and aboriginals coming out to vote.

Percentages don't work in your favour so you have to come up with another angle. What a joke. 
Just like the liberals saying that they would like proportional representation, while they are in 3rd place.  Don't count on any talk of that now. Then they would be in a minority position.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 09:03:20 PM »

Percentages don't work in your favour so you have to come up with another angle. What a joke. 
Just like the liberals saying that they would like proportional representation, while they are in 3rd place.  Don't count on any talk of that now. Then they would be in a minority position.

Oh I have no illusions that the Liberals are going to do half the things they promised. 
And I'm not sure it's an 'angle' looking at the actual number of people who voted for a party and noting that it was much more than for another in a recent election but you can call it a joke if you want.

Harper got 5.8 million votes in 2011 and Trudeau got 6.9 million in this election.  Amazing how voter turnout increases substantially when people are pissed off.