Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going for sturgeon  (Read 9413 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Going for sturgeon
« on: September 27, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »

Bought a used sturgeon set up of this site a few weeks back. Itching to get out and try it out!

I don't have any terminal tackle yet, but I'm not woried about that I'll just drop into Fred's and buy what the staff reccomend.

I've been on guided sturgeon trips (Fraser) twice so I'm not entirely new to this. However I didn't pay much attention to what type of water we achored up in (depth, bottom features, and so on). I recall we used some fresh uncured chum eggs in sacks for bait and perhaps some cut up chunk of salmon.

I remember how to fish for them more or less...just cast out, let the rig sit on bottom, and wait for some nibble action!

I searched for "sturgeon" on this site and read some archived articles. Couldn't find much of what I'm looking for. Also googled "how to catch sturgeon" and articles I read just spoke in generalities. Hoping to get some better tips on this site :)

Hoping for some specific tips on.....

1- Deciding where to anchor up/fish? Water depth? Bottom features?

2- "best" bait? Or is it kind of like halibut fishing...maybe today they want bait 1, 2 or 3...best to try one on each rod and let the fish decide.

Any good scents (artificial) to add to your sturgeon bait?

3- Any other top tips?

I'd like to go out with a bit of a plan instead of dropping anchor in random spots at random depths and fishing random baits.

For now we will just be fishing the 1 sturgeon rod. If we are decent at it and like it (how could you not?) we will probably buy a 2nd set up.

I guess one tip would be make sure to get your sturgeon tag on your license! When I went with 3 buddies from work a couple years back one guy forgot ("forgot") to get his tag. After a morning of salmon fishing the guide asked to see our sturgeon tags befroe we started into that. Poor guy had to sit out and watch us reel in fish after fish but that's what you get for being a dumbass! And good on the gude for checking.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Going for sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »

For bait we try to "match the hatch" and fish what every feed is most prevalent. Right now fresh or "stink" pink should work well. Uncured roe is always a good bet. As for spots, just look for 30' or deeper spots where the water slows down a bit. Watch for other boats and make a mental notes of where they get fish. Also, DO NOT anchor below someone; if you want into the spot make sure to move a good distance above them. The idea is that your bait forms a scent trail that flows with the current. Fish downstream smell the trail and follow it to your bait. If you anchor down stream you are essentially cutting off the other boat's fish.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »

Thanks for that. Makes sense to match the hatch like for other fisheries. Soooo, what the hell is a stink pink? I'm assuming a dead pink you happen upon? Or pink you let sit at home and rot a bit?

Will have to pick up some cheap panty hoes for roe mesh.

30 feet or deeper?! Where we've been going (Island 22 to Vedder mouth area) I don't think we ever hit that deep. Maybe I should go out meore where our guides took us closer to Misson. I still more or less remember where we were fishing.

Makes sense to watch other boats sturgeon fishing and if you see them get fish remember the spot. I was not aware of that etiquette tip. Makes sense now that I know the strategy with the scent trail. I definitley do not want to piss ppl off! Appreciate that. I guess it's similar to being "low holed" steelhead fishing which, depending on the run size and a few other factors, generally pissed me off.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »

Leave the brand name scents at home, keeps the big fish away.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »

Yes, if you find a floating dead fish with a little rot to it, they tend to work very well.

I haven't done much fishing above the Harrison on the Fraser, but you can definitely find deep holes if you look. The 30' range might be a little deep for up river; I really don't know. I typically fish below Mission.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:02:09 AM »

Yes, if you find a floating dead fish with a little rot to it, they tend to work very well.

There was a thread either 2 or 4 years ago, during another pink cycle, on some website (how's that for details!) regarding using dead floatie pink salmon for sturgeon bait. As I recall, some sturgeon anglers were warned (or cited) by a CO for doing just that. Maybe you can't use dead game fish for sturgeon bait, or maybe they left the head on (see page 9 of the regs)...

At any rate, it's just my foggy memory that recalls something like that. I could be totally out to lunch too  :)   

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »

Using "stink" bait or a "floater" is usually the best - look for seagulls pecking at a fish on the surface.
Be prepared for an unpleasant experience & take some disposable gloves.

Finding spots can be tough - no one is going to give them up - look for other boats.
Downstream from rivers and creeks can be good.
You want to think of places where spawned out fish will float out from.

Look for long flat spots or bowls on your sounder.
You want to avoid debris on the bottom but find a spot where drifting food might accumulate.

I normally look for water between 50 and 60 feet.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 12:06:56 PM »

There was a thread either 2 or 4 years ago, during another pink cycle, on some website (how's that for details!) regarding using dead floatie pink salmon for sturgeon bait. As I recall, some sturgeon anglers were warned (or cited) by a CO for doing just that. Maybe you can't use dead game fish for sturgeon bait, or maybe they left the head on (see page 9 of the regs)...

At any rate, it's just my foggy memory that recalls something like that. I could be totally out to lunch too  :)   

If the "floater" appears to be table fare they will count it as your limits so make sure whatever species you grab is available for retention. If they fish is well (and I mean sloppy) past table fare, we haven't had issues.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 01:43:22 PM »

If the "floater" appears to be table fare they will count it as your limits so make sure whatever species you grab is available for retention. If they fish is well (and I mean sloppy) past table fare, we haven't had issues.

That makes good sense. Thanks for clarifying

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 06:13:10 PM »

Awesome! Thanks guys a lot of good info there.
Won't be going for sturgeon for a bit as we're offf on a hunting trip tomorrow but hoping to get out several times in October and November and hook into some!

Will re-read this thread at a later date for sure.

Justwannafish

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 08:18:16 PM »

I live down on 264th outside Ft.Langley. We caught a couple of nice sturgeon at the start of August on Squamish pink roe and belly. We put in a number of trips in our area here and there by only got a couple of small ones. Kinda frustrating as they were leaping around us lol. Any tips for where to try upriver from Ft.Langley? Around the Stave mouth area is where I was gonna be this Saturday. Gonna run my jet up the Stave and fish some chum first then do some sturgeon fishing. Anything helps, thanks.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »

Depth-there is no right or wrong depth.
Sturgeon will move onto mudflats if there is food there.
They will also take refuge from current and eat any accumulated food in deep holes.
Bait-Like already said,use whatever type of fish is currently in the system.
When there isn't a Salmon run then try whatever you have or what has been working for you.
There aren't as many fish at this time as transients have gone back to there corners.
I learned many good spots by fishing them after I have seen others doing well there.
Some are obvious but some are very plane jane spots that I wouldn't have normally fished until I seen others there and tried it myself after.
Like any other type of fishing.
You get a pulse for things with more time spent out there.
Ive had years where I spent around 100 days on the river and you really get a feel for things with that much current knowledge.
Having said that ,its fishing and just when you think you have things figured out, fishing shows you otherwise. :o

Have fun out there and wear them PFD,s.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 02:58:38 PM »

Thanks good tips there first light.

So a quick question:

Was out on the Vedder today and got a nice doe w-spring. I normally let them all go as I'm not a fan of the meat but my buddy really wanted it to smoke so I said sure but I'm keeping the eggs! So I have some nice spring eggs. I cured up one skein for salmon. Figured I'd use the other one for sturgeon. However I wont be able to get back on the Fraser for about 2 weeks, maybe more.

They say to use "fresh" eggs for sturgeon. Is there any way to keepem fresh? If I freeze them as is I'm afraid the eggs will burst. Perhaps freeze them in (tons of) borax?

I have heard of guys keeping eggs in oil too (mineral or vegetable).

Right now they are just in a glass jar in the fridge until I decide what to do with them :o

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »

freeze them in a Ziploc, try to get most of the air out. loose eggs dont freeze well but skiens will be fine. dont add anything extra.
fridge is good for about 1 week max, but same day eggs out fish anything.
thaw the night before fishing and make sacks using wedding vial material. put your thumb tip and pointer finger tip together, that a good size for sacks.
I’m a roe pig, sometimes my sacks are the size of Ping-Pong balls, but that is overkill.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »

Thanks canso. Hmmm...I already cut the one skien for sturgeon into golf ball size chunks when i was doing the same cor the othed skien that i will use for salmon. Would you ziplock freeze the chunked up skien as you described? OR, i was thinking....maybe tie up my sturgeon sacks now and put them in a small glass jar so (hopefully) it i almost full to the top. If air space remains perhaps top up with borax? (Would be little touching actuall sacks....)