Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going for sturgeon  (Read 9414 times)

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
Re: Going for sturgeon
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »

Do not use borax or cure your roe for your sturgeon bait.
Natural is best.
Just get the air outa the bag and freeze.
It will still work although fresh is better.
Good luck out there.
Rando
The Fishin Musician

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 03:49:02 PM »

Thanks canso. Hmmm...I already cut the one skien for sturgeon into golf ball size chunks when i was doing the same cor the othed skien that i will use for salmon. Would you ziplock freeze the chunked up skien as you described? OR, i was thinking....maybe tie up my sturgeon sacks now and put them in a small glass jar so (hopefully) it i almost full to the top. If air space remains perhaps top up with borax? (Would be little touching actuall sacks....)
   put your chunks into a Ziploc, it will be fine. no borax, sturgeon like it natural.
I find when I freeze may sacks they loosen up, I’m sure they would fish the same.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 04:14:22 PM »

I’m a roe pig, sometimes my sacks are the size of Ping-Pong balls, but that is overkill.
I thought ping-pong ball size (or golf ball) was standard for sturgeon. I've used whole skeins on one hook before when bait was plentiful.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »

Thanks guys. Alright I will follow the advice given here. Gonna tie up my sturgeon sacks and freeze in a ziplock and try and squeeze out every fart of air. Sounds like it's best to freeze the whole skien and then tie up into sacks once thawed. However they are already cut into chucks so I'm just going to tie them into sacks and freeze them until we can try them out for sturgeon.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »

I thought ping-pong ball size (or golf ball) was standard for sturgeon. I've used whole skeins on one hook before when bait was plentiful.

He has one skein.
You and I have endless amounts.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »

Thanks, nice pic :) So I tied them up last night. Beforehand I went to fred's and the biggest mesh they have looked too small, maybe 4x4 squares. Fine for steelhead sacks but not sturgeon I think!
So I went to the dollar store. No veil material but they had panty hoes and these "fashion scarves." Thinner than a handkerchief, looked good to me so I bought one.

I got about 7-8 ball out of my skien. They're probably a bit oversize but whatever.

I thought I had spiderwire but I couldn't find it! >:( So I ended up twisting them tight and using tiny zap straps (the small useless ones when you buy one of those 1000 multipacks from CT) to secure the top. Do you think the sturgeon will actually be able to feel this little nub of clipped off zap strap? I doubt it.

Also, where you get these big rolls of veil material? Michael's? This fashion scarf is too thick IMO. I'm sure it'll still work but I wouldn't use it again.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »

Fabric land.
I've also been using an old too-too... Tu-tu? To-to? Fluffy skirt thing? That my daughter used to love wearing before she outgrew it. I'm pretty sure the material is called "tool" at fabric land. They've got every colour under the sun at the one by my place. Makes you feel real manly taking the bulk roll to the lady so she can cut you off a couple yards.... I'm comfortable with my sexuality... LOL

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »

Haha thanks! There is a Fabricland in Chilliwack, I'm going to buy some of that. I think the color does not matter as there is zero visibility where the bait will be sitting. I think I will cut open and retie mine as Im not really happy with the fashion-scarff material I used. IMO too thick and wont allow the scent to milk out enough.
Thanks for the tips.

bmynbr

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 08:26:59 PM »

I have always used nylons from walmart.  its like 5 bucks for a 10 pack and you can tie a ton of roe sacks with them.  I normally freeze my skeins whole, and then cut off chunks and tie them up while frozen only takes a minute to dethaw in the water.  That way you don't have gooey roe dripping all over the boat. 

bmynbr

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM »

I have always used nylons from walmart.  its like 5 bucks for a 10 pack and you can tie a ton of roe sacks with them.  I normally freeze my skeins whole, and then cut off chunks and tie them up while frozen only takes a minute to dethaw in the water.  That way you don't have gooey roe dripping all over the boat. 

Justwannafish

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »

One question I have for sure is all about the tides. I've always tried to fish the incoming tide to the top of the flood so I don't fight the current as much. Are you guys able to have success on the dropping tide or incoming off the low. Seems I don't have much of a window at times or certainly no confidence in a moving river situation. Is it possible to find soft current areas around ft Langley and still be able to anchor up and fish?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 11:14:51 PM »

Nylons for tying sacks.
Tie up a bunch and then cut off at the knots.