Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The most discouraging fishing day ever! Is this normal?  (Read 17752 times)

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
Re: The most discouraging fishing day ever! Is this normal?
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »

Lots of coho reported from coal ports and sandheads today.
Coho are on there way.

Ocean boat put away, and out comes the sled. I love this time of year.

what do you mean ocean boat put away after what ive been reading
and what I kinda saw on Saturday looks like fishing outside is still
a good bet. what do you have for an ocean boat and is it on a good trailer
lmaorotf
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »

Lots of coho reported from coal ports and sandheads today.
Coho are on there way.

Ocean boat put away, and out comes the sled. I love this time of year.

ok I think I just figured out the quote thing maybe
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »

what do you mean ocean boat put away after what ive been reading
and what I kinda saw on Saturday looks like fishing outside is still
a good bet. what do you have for an ocean boat and is it on a good trailer
lmaorotf
cnm

The action out front will end shortly maybe some coho this weekend, then the reports will be all about big whites at mouth of the Cap.( not interested in fishing the gong show at west van).

19' boat on a GALVANIZED trailer lol tell your buddy to check out roadrunner trailers

mojo7

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »

I mis-cast once onto another angler's line and got yelled at, threatened, and invited to fight.

Some guys can can be dicks that's just the way it is.

Around this time I realized that the other 6 people fishing the run had 12' of line below their floats and were ripping on the rod at the end of every drift. Flossing! And one of them was flossing with roe! Most of them caught big springs within an hour but no fish were biting my presentations so I moved on to other runs in the area.

Just because these guys had 12' of line below their float doesn't necessarily mean they were flossing. 12' of line below your float is appropriate in 13' of water. You want your presentation in the fishes face which is on the bottom of the river. Now if they had 12' of leader hanging from their weight, a la Fraser BBing style, then you could accuse them of flossing. It sounds to me you are still new and can't tell the difference between legit angling methods and snagging especially when someone said to you...

One guy approached me and told me that my float depth was too short and I needed the weight to drag through the school of fish to catch anything

He is correct. You need to put your gear where the fish are. The difference between flossing and appropriate angling is leader length. The proper leader length is about 1.5' - 2'. This will minimize the accidental hookups when you put your gear where the fish are holding.

people float fishing with 12 feet below the float (in 8 foot water)

Anybody fishing 12' below the float in 8' of water is going to catch nothing and most likely lose a lot of gear. There are lots of inexperienced anglers to be had in the fall salmon season on the Vedder.

So after a 13 hour day of fishing and driving, applying all the things I've been learning and studying for the last month, I got 1 hookup and saw 3 fish legitimately caught, and about 50 other fish flossed.

Your descriptions of the techniques used for the waters you fished are too imprecise   (water depth? vs. float to weight length) to make any claims of flossing. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, obviously it does, but I think you need a little more experience before you start making accusations at people that might just be properly fishing the water they are at.

Tangles

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »

oh someone got that 12ft personal lol :D

koko

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »

;) ;) ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2015, 03:34:37 PM »

And if you really want to mess with people's heads, you use a slip float to fish deep water. They think you are fishing a float depth of 6" in 8 ft of water. Sometimes you get a helpful comment, sometimes they just shake their heads in self righteous pity😋

losos

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »

Some guys can can be dicks that's just the way it is.

Just because these guys had 12' of line below their float doesn't necessarily mean they were flossing. 12' of line below your float is appropriate in 13' of water. You want your presentation in the fishes face which is on the bottom of the river. Now if they had 12' of leader hanging from their weight, a la Fraser BBing style, then you could accuse them of flossing. It sounds to me you are still new and can't tell the difference between legit angling methods and snagging especially when someone said to you...

He is correct. You need to put your gear where the fish are. The difference between flossing and appropriate angling is leader length. The proper leader length is about 1.5' - 2'. This will minimize the accidental hookups when you put your gear where the fish are holding.

Anybody fishing 12' below the float in 8' of water is going to catch nothing and most likely lose a lot of gear. There are lots of inexperienced anglers to be had in the fall salmon season on the Vedder.

Your descriptions of the techniques used for the waters you fished are too imprecise   (water depth? vs. float to weight length) to make any claims of flossing. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, obviously it does, but I think you need a little more experience before you start making accusations at people that might just be properly fishing the water they are at.

Bang on, last weekend I got about 10 spring and one coho jack using about 12-18" leader. Some of those fish were snagged . I regret that however it couldn't be avoided . All fish but one smaller silver spring got released.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »

And if you really want to mess with people's heads, you use a slip float to fish deep water. They think you are fishing a float depth of 6" in 8 ft of water. Sometimes you get a helpful comment, sometimes they just shake their heads in self righteous pity😋
Lol That would be so funny ;D

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »

So I'm new to salmon fishing this year, had lots of luck at Furry Creek and now I'm trying to work into the fall season.

Today I was super excited to go to the Vedder. I've been watching all Rods' videos, doing tons of reading, and I caught a couple pinks by jigging the Vedder mouth earlier this month. I bought some wool and scent recommended by Sea-Run and had a bucket of Firecured pink roe and I was rearing to hook a Chinook!

Started near the Vedder bridge at 6:30am, found a deep pool moving at a quick walking pace and starting casting roe. Spent an hour working through depth, different spots in the run, and a bunch of different presentations. Got nothing! I mis-cast once onto another angler's line and got yelled at, threatened, and invited to fight. Around this time I realized that the other 6 people fishing the run had 12' of line below their floats and were ripping on the rod at the end of every drift. Flossing! And one of them was flossing with roe! Most of them caught big springs within an hour but no fish were biting my presentations so I moved on to other runs in the area. Looked for walking pace, deep areas.

Worked another 3 runs trying different depths and presentations and got nothing. Literally everyone else I saw before noon, except for 3 people + 4 fly fishers were 'float fishing' with more than 10 feet of line below their float, ripping on the rod at the end of a drift, occasionally hooking something. One guy approached me and told me that my float depth was too short and I needed the weight to drag through the school of fish to catch anything...

So I drove to the end of Lickman road, it looked all blown out with no good runs so I didn't fish there. But I met a guy who said he landed a jack in the lower river that morning and sympathized with my distaste for the flossers. He offered to show me his spot so we went there and lo and behold there was 20 people float fishing with 12 feet below the float (in 8 foot water), occasionally hooking something. We worked the run with roe and wool for an hour and got nothing despite many jumping and rolling fish. Many of the flossers hooked fish.

So then I went to a hole near the mouth of the river that I found earlier this month and I cast a Koho spoon. After a half hour I hooked a small Coho but it shook the hook close to shore. Nothing for the next hour, tried a few spinners and spoons. I saw a couple guys leave with big chinooks, said they caught them on Kitimats and Orange buzz bombs a few hours prior.

So I decided that on the way home I'd check out a couple potential bar fishing spots I'd found on google earth. There were 4 spots on Dyke road and Nicomen Trunk Road near Deroche, but once I got there I found they were all full of riprap or gated off! So I still can't any bars to fish between Mission and Harrison river, accessible by car/foot.

So after a 13 hour day of fishing and driving, applying all the things I've been learning and studying for the last month, I got 1 hookup and saw 3 fish legitimately caught, and about 50 other fish flossed. It was nice to get out on the river but it kinda seems like a waste of effort, time, and money to study fish habits, tides, rain, river dynamics, techniques and presentation types and have nothing to show for it. And the bulk of the community I met on the river today were jerks or confused flossers.

I think today was the most discouraging day I've had in years. Is this a typical day of fishing for someone just starting out? Am I just terrible at this? Maybe I should hire a guide and try to make some more friends who fish. Any input you guys have would be appreciated, I'm at a loss here.

TL;DR: Studied everything about fishing available online, tried it all on the Vedder today, got nothing except yelled at by flossers. Is this normal?
Wecome to Salmon season on the Cheddar...completely normal. In a couple of months the pretenders will exit stage left and the contenders will take centre stage...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:20:15 PM by Wiseguy »

Tangles

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2015, 06:45:34 PM »

@mojo7
You hooked 11 fish out of which "some" were snagged. To me "some" sounds like more than two fish, so if I take optimistic guess of three that would mean over 25% foul hook ratio. If I'm snagging every third fish I would change up techniques or move to a different area.
One question: Just by any chance was a pinch of green wool the ticket that day?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »

Getting nasty ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2015, 07:11:03 PM »

The difference between flossing and appropriate angling is leader length.

I beg to differ.
The difference between flossing and appropriate angling is in the INTENT. I know people who can floss fish (especially coho) like there is no tomorrow with leaders no longer than 18". Just like there are people who fish 3' leaders (recommended in very clear water conditions) who are not flossing by any stretch of the imagination.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2015, 07:44:04 PM »

I beg to differ.
The difference between flossing and appropriate angling is in the INTENT. I know people who can floss fish (especially coho) like there is no tomorrow with leaders no longer than 18". Just like there are people who fish 3' leaders (recommended in very clear water conditions) who are not flossing by any stretch of the imagination.
Bang on milo. Couldn't have said it better myself. My buddies and I occasionally use 3 ft leaders when the water gets real low and it gets so annoying when you get 'the look' from guys. Look at tamihi Rapids for instance, those guys are using 12-14" leaders and are flossing fish after fish. It's all in the intent of the angler period.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »

Wecome to Salmon season on the Cheddar...completely normal. In a couple of months the pretenders will exit stage left and the contenders will take centre stage...

I don't think I'm a contender, but I'll be there. ;)