Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The most discouraging fishing day ever! Is this normal?  (Read 17760 times)

ICA

Re: The most discouraging fishing day ever! Is this normal?
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »

There is no denying that fishing today is very different from fishing say 25 years ago; that said, I think you have to decide for yourself why you are into fishing. If it is your passion, then hone your skills patiently in any system, and discover for yourself what works and what does not. All your reading and research have not gone to waste, but they are only good for a starting point, and the rest is up to you. As for those elements who act out and are hostile, just leave them be and do not engage them; its not worth dying for. I was out early on the Vedder yesterday near the KWB and already lots of people. I managed to fine a slot to fish and even though there were lots of people on the opposite bank, we all paid careful attention to timing our casts and it was great. Everyone caught fish including myself, two bright chromed coho. Then came five guys from the US, and they marched INTO the river ahead of everyone else which made it impossible to cast for those facing them and those beside them. To make things worse, they allowed their drift to extend into the zones of some 6 or 7 guys below them and then problems started. I had two choices; yell at them and have a war of words or move because it was impossible for me to fish on. I chose the latter. The point I am trying to make here is that you are free to choose ways that would make the experience a little better for that day. In fact the fella standing right next to them very politely said to them that what they were doing was inconsiderate and not meaning to be rude in telling them that. It didn't even phased them and they just carried on. So the tangled lines continued for some time. Bottom line is this: Fishing is my passion, and I will not let anyone spoil it for me. But I will not go down to their level and give them the satisfaction of any kind of confrontation. I am always happy to move on.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 06:04:53 PM »

There is no denying that fishing today is very different from fishing say 25 years ago; that said, I think you have to decide for yourself why you are into fishing. If it is your passion, then hone your skills patiently in any system, and discover for yourself what works and what does not. All your reading and research have not gone to waste, but they are only good for a starting point, and the rest is up to you. As for those elements who act out and are hostile, just leave them be and do not engage them; its not worth dying for. I was out early on the Vedder yesterday near the KWB and already lots of people. I managed to fine a slot to fish and even though there were lots of people on the opposite bank, we all paid careful attention to timing our casts and it was great. Everyone caught fish including myself, two bright chromed coho. Then came five guys from the US, and they marched INTO the river ahead of everyone else which made it impossible to cast for those facing them and those beside them. To make things worse, they allowed their drift to extend into the zones of some 6 or 7 guys below them and then problems started. I had two choices; yell at them and have a war of words or move because it was impossible for me to fish on. I chose the latter. The point I am trying to make here is that you are free to choose ways that would make the experience a little better for that day. In fact the fella standing right next to them very politely said to them that what they were doing was inconsiderate and not meaning to be rude in telling them that. It didn't even phased them and they just carried on. So the tangled lines continued for some time. Bottom line is this: Fishing is my passion, and I will not let anyone spoil it for me. But I will not go down to their level and give them the satisfaction of any kind of confrontation. I am always happy to move on.

Very smart approach, ICA.
I wish I had your self-control. Although, when dealing with Muricans, I tend to be more careful these days because chances are pretty good that some of them pack heat and might not be mentally stable enough not to use it to resolve a stupid river confrontation.  :(
That said, I would usually give offenders a polite explanation if they tangle with me more than once, informing them (again politely, but assertively) that I will cut off their main line if it happens again. If they do tangle me again in spite of the polite warning, I cut off their main line and brace for whatever. Usually, all I get at that point is a good number of very loud and very unquotable expletives to which I never reply, but they either leave or start fishing without being disruptive to others.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »

I've seen you in action Milo. You don't mince words and good for you.

I do tend to not bother confronting, but it is still important to let the idiots know that their actions are being watched and noticed.

BTW nice to see you back online as well.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »

There is no denying that fishing today is very different from fishing say 25 years ago; that said, I think you have to decide for yourself why you are into fishing. If it is your passion, then hone your skills patiently in any system, and discover for yourself what works and what does not.

Things are different, but that's how we evolve. That's why I fish all year for many species and I'm happy with any catch. There are many quiet spots out there, and you're 100% right.