Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Smoking Ban - does it apply along the river?  (Read 12849 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Chilliwack Smoking Ban - does it apply along the river?
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »

Just saw this article http://www.theprogress.com/news/325711371.html?mobile=true about the outdoor smoking ban in Chilliwack, so I quickly googled up the map of the city to see how much of the river is in the city.  The answer is a lot.  The smoking ban seems pretty extensive:

"No smoking will be permitted within 15 metres of an outdoor playground, playing field, spots venue, stadium or sports facility, or on any land owned by City of Chilliwack or School District 33, at a bus stop, park, off-leash dog park, pool, or trail."  And it includes vaping (e-cigarettes).

No smoking within 15 metres of a trail in the city? Would that include Rotary Trail?  Many of the spots we frequently fish are within 15 metres of the trail (often right on the dike).  From what I have seen, my dad would not be alone in having a hard  time with this rule.  (His favorite method of fishing is to sit down and smoke until I start hooking fish, then he gets up and starts joining in.)  Anyone know the full extent of it?  Am I worrying for nothing?

redder

Re: Chilliwack Smoking Ban - does it apply along the river?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »

I am a smoker, and i find that it is a little bit silly.

Careless is one thing totally separate than smoking.
Use caution and be fire smart is the big rule at play.

I think every non-smoking sign should have info on the closest smoking area.

We are the dinosaurs, time to just become oil ?? heh

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »

I just sent an email to the city seeking clarification, and I'll share when they get back to me.  The actual bylaw is really vague - "within the area of a trail".  What the heck does that mean?  I don't smoke, and I wish my dad would quit, but I know this rule wouldn't make him quit, just make him want to fish farther upriver.  I've thought about getting him an e-cig, but that seems to be banned as well.  Smoking seems to be very common among the "old timers" on the river, the people I enjoy fishing next to most.

redder

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »

I think being respectful should be enough.

Most of the people that come up to complain are usually looking for confrontation. Just abide and light back up after they go away.

fyrslyer

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »

As long as you are below the high water mark I don't believe the city would have a leg to stand on.

dobrolub

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »

Smoking is part of fishing experience for many. I don't smoke, but I enjoy smoke of good cigarets. So make sure to smoke good ones :)

Some people might haver allergies etc., that's a different story.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »

As long as you are below the high water mark I don't believe the city would have a leg to stand on.

For property yes. But if there is a trail within 15 meters, I think it would still apply. You're not on their land, but still would be breaking their law. I could be wrong though. It's not that hard to get 45 feet away.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 09:14:39 PM »

Have never seen the rule enforced but it applies to all parks in the Lower Mainland as well.  Ambleside, Capilano, Garry Point, etc.  Thankfully I quit that nasty habit after 20 years and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:09:46 AM »

Quit smoking? It's a useless habit.

redder

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »

Quit smoking? It's a useless habit.

Almost as useless as saying what you said.

bcguy

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »

Good luck with that Chilliwack ::)
Whole valley wont be happy until the politicians turn us all into vegan celibate monks, who never move from one spot unless given permission my our overlords.
I think Ill celebrate by going outside right now and lighting up a cigar, opening a beer, and farting loud enough for my neighbor to hear
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 01:46:53 PM »

Good luck with that Chilliwack ::)
Whole valley wont be happy until the politicians turn us all into vegan celibate monks, who never move from one spot unless given permission my our overlords.
I think Ill celebrate by going outside right now and lighting up a cigar, opening a beer, and farting loud enough for my neighbor to hear

I heard that!  :o

TheFishingLad

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »

I feel the take away here is don't be a dick. If i'm fishing a not very crowded spot and you come up close and start smoking and it's in my face, or I can smell it, that's not on.

Other than this, who cares on a river?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »

I feel the take away here is don't be a dick. If i'm fishing a not very crowded spot and you come up close and start smoking and it's in my face, or I can smell it, that's not on.

Other than this, who cares on a river?

I don't smoke and never have, but I feel like it is just a sad commentary on the urbanization of this river.  I remember fishing down by Peach rd. when all that was down there was the military base and farmland.  I think the trail system is great, and I love how the morning walkers tend to stop and chat about fishing.  I just hope this rule doesn't make it less of a friendly place.  The article I posted said one big reason for this rule was the fire hazard - I just hope everyone can see that there really isn't a fire hazard on the dike or the river bank.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 05:40:25 PM »

Not sure how the new law will be enforced. My father in law will no longer be allowed to smoke outside the local ice rink when watching my son play hockey. Other then that I have no issue with the new by-laws. It is what it is.