Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cap is blown  (Read 10077 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: Cap is blown
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »

not understanding why they are letting the dam go. when all the news stations are still saying water restrictions are still in place. yet they are letting all this water go. meh
I'm sure they have their reasons. May be they need to open and close within a certain time frame to make sure everything is in working order or let the poor fish stuck at the mouth to safely migrate up.

redder

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »

not understanding why they are letting the dam go. when all the news stations are still saying water restrictions are still in place. yet they are letting all this water go. meh

It is good to send some fresh water down the river to help the fish and lower the temp of the water.
i am not sure as this to be the reason, but i think hogging it all would not have any benefit to the animals and such downstream.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 05:17:08 PM »

They do not need to have opened the dam to have the river blow out.  There was enough rain to blow it out without opening it up.
Not all those who wander are lost

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »

Exactly,  its North Van!
Lots of drainage and creeks came to life.
Though a lot of you local folk don't seem to realize it...
All the tap water and showers (if you take one) comes from the water from the Capilano reservoir, the Seymour reservoir and the Coquitlam reservoir.

Yes, certain modifications were made to allow you a water infrastructure which made major impacts to the original, natural system.

Now.
Convince everyone else, (other than I) to stop using water and perhaps we can regain some of what has been lost.

Seriously though,  the population is growing and the strain on the resources is evident.
Unfortunately too few think further than the hook on the end of their line and that vacant spot in the freezer.

Gabo

• Fish On!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »

Will the mouth be fishable again once water levels drop down to the 1-2 mark? Or wait till the river portion opens up.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 06:32:47 AM »

This dam is used to generated hydro electric power only. This is not a water reservoir for the metro Vancouver region.

Sorry, you're mistaken.

Kever

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 10:32:40 AM »

OK DFO, time to open the rest of the Capilano River!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »

Reopening the current river closures is up to the province actually, not DFO. An email went out this morning to the Region 2 biologists requesting the reopening now that condition has improved. I'll post up changes if they happen as usual.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »

I'm sure they have their reasons. May be they need to open and close within a certain time frame to make sure everything is in working order or let the poor fish stuck at the mouth to safely migrate up.

Whenever we get a rain event the magnitude of what we saw the past week or so (or even less), they still need to spill water regardless of how low the reservoir is.  Because of the topography and geotechnical issues, they cannot let the reservoir fill up too fast.  In the past it also caused turbidity issues in our drinking water.  Now all the water that we use from the Cap reservoir is pumped up through the tunnels to the Seymour Cap filtration plant at the Seymour dam, filtered out for any dirt and or particulants and then run back to the water mains at Capilano providing a cleaner source of water. 

doja

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »

^^^ bingo

Also we gained like 5% in the last week or so and water usage is down too...

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »

An email went out this morning to the Region 2 biologists requesting the reopening now that condition has improved.

I'm wondering if conditions have improved sufficiently to ensure water levels can be sustained within the rivers for the foreseeable duration. 

River levels are not only sustained by surface water run, but also underground flow from upland recharge areas.  With the very dry conditions a lot of water may have just flowed off as surface water run-off, as a relatively quick deluge.  I wonder if the underlying aquifers have been recharged to normal levels to keep maintain water levels in the rivers and to prevent the levels falling quickly in the absence of long term rainfall, i.e. when surface water run-off is no longer present?