Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 469402 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

Fished the lower this morning with roe and only caught a jack coho and a coloured chum. Wind was blowing hard and with a few rippers next to us long lining without a float we decided to pack and leave around 9:30. River is too low again. We need rain!  :-\

LP89CG

I ran into a member from this forum but did not get his name but he does know how to fish as well as what the regulations are and he still killed 2 adult springs. When I confronted him he said that 1 was for his buddy at home. I then asked him if his license had a section that he could record fish for friends. Of course he said no so I asked him why he then thought it was ok to kill 2 adult springs on the same day.I guess that some people just dont care and have no  ethics. I did get a picture of him and I did report him to fisheries. Could not wait around to see if they showed up because my back was too sore to stay any longer.

Are limits not 4/day one over 62cm? 1 per day limit is until July?

milo

• Old Timer

I ran into a member from this forum but did not get his name but he does know how to fish as well as what the regulations are and he still killed 2 adult springs. When I confronted him he said that 1 was for his buddy at home. I then asked him if his license had a section that he could record fish for friends. Of course he said no so I asked him why he then thought it was ok to kill 2 adult springs on the same day.I guess that some people just dont care and have no  ethics. I did get a picture of him and I did report him to fisheries. Could not wait around to see if they showed up because my back was too sore to stay any longer.

Good job Geff.
Some people just don't give a damn. As far as I am concerned, put the picture up and let's all see the face of this loser.
I don't mind someone occasionally passing a rod to a licensed buddy or a kid to play and maybe land a spring to take home, but to catch and kill more than your quota and then give a lame excuse that it is for a buddy at home is simply UNACCEPTABLE.
Off course, Rodney will probably oppose this, but IMO public shaming and steep fines are the only way to get people to smarten up.

Are limits not 4/day one over 62cm? 1 per day limit is until July?
I believe Geff wrote "adult chinooks". By definition, those are over 62 cm in the Vedder.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Friday was pretty good, handful of coho and a really good amount of springs. Killed a chrome 15 lb marble to go along with the coho. Today was tough, really had to work to get into a handful of fish and the amount of people pounding this river is just unbelievable. Rain is surely needed.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Good job Geff.
Some people just don't give a damn. As far as I am concerned, put the picture up and let's all see the face of this loser.
I don't mind someone occasionally passing a rod to a licensed buddy or a kid to play and maybe land a spring to take home, but to catch and kill more than your quota and then give a lame excuse that it is for a buddy at home is simply UNACCEPTABLE.
Off course, Rodney will probably oppose this, but IMO public shaming and steep fines are the only way to get people to smarten up.
I believe Geff wrote "adult chinooks". By definition, those are over 62 cm in the Vedder.
Thank you Milo and yes it was a lame excuse and I too dont mind the passing of the rod right after the fish is hooked as long as its the very odd time. I am not going to post the picture of him as I am sure that he was embarrassed enough by me yelling loud enough for everyone to hear what he did and I am also pretty sure that he is reading this thread. I have forwarded his picture to the right people and they will keep it on file and their eyes open for him when out on their travels.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Nicolas The Fisherman

Fished the lower from about 6:30 to 9:45 this AM and managed a hatchery buck. Missed one or two other fish as well. Quite busy despite being nearly dark when I got there. I don't know how these guys can even see prior to 6:00 AM. ;D

clarkii

• Old Timer

Where did the clipped springs come from? I didn't know there would be any there...

My guess would be the Harrison.  clipped springs are strictly for stock assessment purposes, not fisheries enhancement.

243Pete

Hi Geff_t, I want to explain that the fish was not for a "friend at home" when you asked why I bonked the fish I said it was for my "buddy" fishing up from the guy who was having the yelling match with the native guy across the river. When you said "but he didn't catch it" then it hit me the it felt like I had done something wrong, I've passed fish to my other friends (all licensed anglers) and never had any issue with anyone in reguards to doing so (passing a fish to another angler) and I felt like I did something wrong cause of the anger you expressed towards me. I've fished since I was a kid and never done anything in reguards to breaking the laws and right now I am in very deep regret cause I may have broken the law and in all honesty not known it, I am sorry to have made you angry cause you seem like a very cool guy. Yes, we both wrote down our fish on our licenses, if what I've done is illegal then I have made a big mistake and won't take such actions again.

farky

Fished the lower from about 6:30 to 9:45 this AM and managed a hatchery buck. Missed one or two other fish as well. Quite busy despite being nearly dark when I got there. I don't know how these guys can even see prior to 6:00 AM. ;D

Should be a little quieter this morning I hope lol. Never did get that 4th one, but I still have this week off.

Outdoorsman

Thumbs up to 243Pete for not hiding behind a computer like so many would do. Takes balls to comment on here in regards to the situation.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Hi Geff_t, I want to explain that the fish was not for a "friend at home" when you asked why I bonked the fish I said it was for my "buddy" fishing up from the guy who was having the yelling match with the native guy across the river. When you said "but he didn't catch it" then it hit me the it felt like I had done something wrong, I've passed fish to my other friends (all licensed anglers) and never had any issue with anyone in reguards to doing so (passing a fish to another angler) and I felt like I did something wrong cause of the anger you expressed towards me. I've fished since I was a kid and never done anything in reguards to breaking the laws and right now I am in very deep regret cause I may have broken the law and in all honesty not known it, I am sorry to have made you angry cause you seem like a very cool guy. Yes, we both wrote down our fish on our licenses, if what I've done is illegal then I have made a big mistake and won't take such actions again.
[/quot]

Well I am glad that you now realize that what you did was against the law but I wish that you would of realized it when I first told youthat you could not keep it before you bonked it and said for me not to worry about it, that is what made me angry. It does however take a lot of guts to come on a public forum and admit that you did something that was illegal, even if you dont use your real name. This is why I did not post your picture and when I do see you again I will come to you and shake your hand and properly introduce myself . My friends and I are all very easy going and we have all loved fishing since we were kids but we take fishing regulations seriously.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

milo

• Old Timer

Good on you Pete for coming out. You are not a loser. Sorry to have called you that above.
Lesson learned and now let's move on. :)

markyboy

Thumbs up to 243Pete for not hiding behind a computer like so many would do. Takes balls to comment on here in regards to the situation.

X2

Also kudos to Geff_t for handling the situation the way he did. I understand the appeal of public shaming as its borne out of frustration, but it's seldom the best or appropriate way forward, and Petes response illustrates why. Sometimes we all make mistakes, it's learning from them that counts.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Fished the Vedder yesterday afternoon. Water continues to be very low and clear.

Saw a decent number of Chinook splashing around, and had one take my single Jensen egg right in the tip of the nose - landed it shortly after, about 10-12lbs. Too coloured to even consider keeping so I let him go.

As others have said, definitely could use some of the rain in the forecast to bring in fresh fish and spread out the angler pressure a bit.

DanL

• Old Timer

Yes, we both wrote down our fish on our licenses, if what I've done is illegal then I have made a big mistake and won't take such actions again.
Next time if your friend is there, just hand him the rod to land it and there's no problem.