Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Question(s)  (Read 10430 times)

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
Quick Question(s)
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:52:51 PM »

Who fishes with their spouse, or should I say who has tried it? I would love to get my girlfriend into the sport and she seems genuinely interested. To those that have or to any that have ideas I have a few questions.

1) best fishery to start with
2) a good beginners setup for a female
3) any tips to not start a fight  :P

I have been making an effort to become a more proficient fisherman, however a lack of time has given me a rough go at it. I am making time this fall to seriously pursue my passion and getting the girlfriend involved would greatly enhance the time time I can put into it.

Any help is much appreciated!

We are taking off to the states on Monday, I could gear her up down there if its much cheaper. I know it is more expensive and a little silly, but I think we'd both prefer buying new.

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

zacrum

Re: Quick Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:44:24 AM »

I fish with my gf     it's a great time always     and I would recomend   starting at a stocked pond   maybe   a u fish place   and rent a rod for her to see if she likes it first     don't wanna waste money   if she doesn't    and other wise   start with a basic spinning rod     and do trout and pinks    always fun    or even bass 

banx

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »

like zacrum said.

personally, i got the wife started with just trolling small valley lakes with a spinner and a couple of split shots. then to casting in said lakes. you don't want to deal with snags right away. 

after a while you can progress to salmon, a spinning rod and some spoons/spinners will suffice and just be supportive. you need to let her know that its fine that she keeps losing all the gear. she isn't fishing properly unless she's losing a spoon here and there. float fishing in a river is difficult to teach to a fishing newbie.  the smack of a spoon or spinner is impossible to miss.

after you have sacrificed a few dollars to the river gods you can teach her a basic clinch knot. ignore your own fishing and pay attention to her. always give her first crack at a hole and always fish upriver of her.

if she has enjoyed herself to this point, buy her her own rods. and make sure they are of the same quality or better than what your using.

even if she doesn't end up enjoying the fishing experience, you taking the time and putting in the effort to make it easy for her will result in her understanding and appreciating why you do this. its likely she will see why you enjoy it so much and that will make it easier for you to get out more often.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:47:49 AM »

I fish with my wife and the majority of the time she out fishes me. It's a great thing to be able to do together. My wife even got in to tying flies and jigs. She used to fish with her father when she was young so it all came naturally.

The hard part about her ability and willingness to fish is every time I get alone, she's jealous.

The pink salmon run is perfect for new fishermen, tons of action and easy to catch.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:57:06 AM »

All I can really add  based on my experience is best not to take her out at the crack of dawn or when the weather is lousy - at least, not for a first outing.

Sadly for me, my wife  is only interested in fishing if it involves retention of high quality table fare fish and I don't do sockeye fishing :(

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »

All very useful pieces of information, I appreciate the insight. Ill just have to get her out there asap! I think we will definitely try a stocked lake, maybe Rice or Sasamat. Hopefully her enthusiasm carries over after her first outing.

The ladies DO NOT HAVE ANY DIFFERENT learning & experience curve than us MEN.
I didn't mean for it to become an issue of sexism. I was merely asking people for their opinions from previous experiences, the same you would do if you were taking your son or grandfather out. I intend to treat her as I would any more angler, albeit with a little more patience and attentiveness.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

zacrum

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »

Also   I found it best to be secluded from crowds   the first few times  as women  tend to get shy and feel embarrassed thinking   it's a man thing   when it really isn't    and let her pic her own gear   just guide her into   the right areas

Apennock

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 11:57:14 AM »

Most of us learned with minimal instruction so I've always found the best approach with my wife to just be there to get her set up and answer any questions she has.  Other than that just let her mess around and figure it out.  Best way to avoid fights and have a nice day on the water.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »

If you're in the states, go to cabela's and pick up a TFO spinning rod. They are 149 and a great rod for anything from trout to pinks and coho. Pick up the 4-8 pound rated rod in the 10 foot version.

A great starter reel is the penn fierce or penn battle. Best size to balance the tfo is the 2000 size, although if you can't find 2000, a 3000 is ok as well. I use to get these at Wal-Mart in the states.

I spool my reels with 15 pound braid. My girlfriend likes the Berkley crystal which is white and floats so she can see it easier and can better determine where her gear/swing is.

I personally started Kitty out on island coho. It isn't busy and you can catch 20 or more fish in a day easily. The easiest way to get people into fishing in general is take them on a sunny fall day for big spunky fish. Spinners and spoons are the Best method because they can really appreciate the hits and direct contract to the fish. It also gives them something to do the entire time, and they can feel the gear "working."

Obviously people probably know my preference on gear. You honestly can't beat trophy tackle spinners for coho. For everything else (steelhead, Chinook, coho and pinks) the R&B spoons are awesome. The best ones overall for most conditions are the 2/5 size. Gibbs crocs also work well in a 3/16 size for coho and pinks. Other spoon brands to look into if you can't find R&B are rvrfshr, pentac, and Gibbs in that order. Most of the time I stick to oval spoons (R&B, rvrfshr, bc steel, ironheads/koho).

If you are unwilling to travel to the island for a small getaway trip in the fall (mid October is the best coho fishing, and you can also have double digit summer steelhead days), they're are still some ok options in the lower mainland. If you pm/email me I can try and help you with some of the ones I know even though I don't fish much out there anymore.

Cheers,
Dan

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »

Again... no "personal foul" was intended on my part.
Blair

Much appreciated Blair, also thank you for the advice it's definitely noted!

Now it's time to look for a pink/trout setup. The fun begins. Any suggestions anyone?

hybridbanana

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »

Cam. Do you still live in Richmond? Go fish at 3 Road, London Landing, or Gary Point. Do some bottom fishing for bullhead, perch, flounder, or white fish!  Pretty easy stuff. Cast the line in and wait for the bites.  You just need a slip rig or a leader tied to a weight.  No fancy rods/reels are needed.  Also pink season is almost here for the Fraser.  Buy some pink spoons you'll be set.  Just so you don't think that I somehow know everything about you, I'm Damo's friend Andrew.  Sometimes fishing with Damo feels like fishing with a girlfriend haha!

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 09:32:52 AM »

@hybridbanana - sure do still live in Steveston, that's a great idea and I believe I will take her there eventually. However, I think I'll take her to a lake for her first experience as it is more picturesque and memorable. I heard you and Damo had a good time up the the Mamquam we will have to all get out for pinks soon. We can chat about it at Damo's wedding, as it's much more important.   

TNAngler

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »

I bring my wife up sockeye and chinook fishing with me, set up exactly the same way.  I taught her how to cast just like I have taught others, although she hasn't mastered it yet and doesn't quite get the distance.  For Christmas I got her her own rod and reel so she can practice.  There wasn't any fishing this year when we were up there and she was disappointed she didn't get to try out her skills.  Hopefully next year.

Just be prepared though.  If you are going to fish the Fraser with any of the crowds, the fairer sex does get a lot of attention, watching and such.  There are a lot of guys who oogle enough to almost fall out of their boats at times.  Some men are just pigs I guess.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »

Also, the local stocked lakes might be good for practice casting the warm weather and water temperatures will make the fish that are still in there a little lethargic (a number of the last stockings did not happen due to the water temperatures) will make catching a little more difficult.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 08:08:17 PM »

Bank for the buck, take her to the Stave to fish for chum, float/jigs or spoons.  You may need a heavier rod and gear but for ~3 weeks you can almost guarantee good, easy and adrenaline inducing fishing.