Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Question(s)  (Read 10429 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Quick Question(s)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 08:26:37 PM »

Bank for the buck, take her to the Stave to fish for chum, float/jigs or spoons.  You may need a heavier rod and gear but for ~3 weeks you can almost guarantee good, easy and adrenaline inducing fishing.

This is a great fishery, but I almost think it's a pretty aggressive fish for a first timer. Depends on the person you're introducing I guess.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 11:19:35 PM »

This is a great fishery, but I almost think it's a pretty aggressive fish for a first timer. Depends on the person you're introducing I guess.

You might be right.  I wanted to make sure my wife got into a fish and experienced the excitement.  I had previously scoped out the location and knew there were plenty of fish there and that they were willing biters.   In hindsight, it may have been a little more intense than required.  This is what happened on her second cast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52X_g5KpYg

Apennock

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »

Bank for the buck, take her to the Stave to fish for chum, float/jigs or spoons.  You may need a heavier rod and gear but for ~3 weeks you can almost guarantee good, easy and adrenaline inducing fishing.

Stave is still closed, if I'm not mistaken.

Golfer

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »

Chum fishing doesn't happen until oct/nov, as it starts to rain in the fall, pretty much all the rivers will reopen.

KarateKick

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »

Just be prepared though.  If you are going to fish the Fraser with any of the crowds, the fairer sex does get a lot of attention, watching and such.  There are a lot of guys who oogle enough to almost fall out of their boats at times.  Some men are just pigs I guess.

That happens to me a lot, especially when I am wearing summer clothes ;)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 02:35:56 PM »

You are not mistaken, it is currently closed. It will be opened by Chum season I am sure.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 01:25:18 PM »

Back on the topic...

Here are my recommendations.

Stave River is not on the list.

It really depends on what the first time fisher's expectations are. Is catching some (or a lot of) fish important? Is a peaceful setting important? Does the weather need to be warm, dry?

Tidal Fraser River pink salmon is a good one to try out, but if it can still be a challenge to get started if the person does not have experience in casting and retrieving. There is bit of a learning curve. The social aspect of this fishery is good. It might be crowded, but overall people are very friendly. We look forward to it each season so we can catch up with old friends who always fish the same area.

Tidal Fraser River bottom fishing for coho salmon in October is another good one to try out, if you can endure the cold and wet weather. Lots of sitting around, relaxing, and the fishing can be good at times.

Trout fishing at a lake. There are lots of lakes just outside of Vancouver where you can be in a pretty nice setting and catching trout at the same time.

Don't cheap out on gear. Slightly nicer gear is more enjoyable to use. If gear breaks down for first timers who are already having difficulties, then more likely than not they'll give up.

hrenya

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »

Don't cheap out on gear. Slightly nicer gear is more enjoyable to use. If gear breaks down for first timers who are already having difficulties, then more likely than not they'll give up.

x2 , don't go cheap , don`t go high end . find a golden middle.

andrewscag

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »

Something else that I don't think has been mentioned yet is to make sure she's staying interested and leave if she (or any new angler) gets bored. It of course can take some time to get a fish on, but if she views fishing trips as 10 hours of standing on the shore she'll be less likely to get into it. I also point out some the other things I like about fishing while we're out like bird watching ect. If she feels like she can leave at any time, can take a break and nature watch when she wants, and has a good chance at a fish you'll have a new fishing partner in no time.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 05:46:20 PM »

I leave the wife at home. Fishing time is my time out with the guys. I don't need to involve my wife with every activity I participate in.  ;D