Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: REGION 2 STREAM FISHING CLOSURES  (Read 17960 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: REGION 2 STREAM FISHING CLOSURES
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »

The closure has a number of exceptions of larger streams with flows and temperatures currently suitable for a sustainable recreational fishery. These exceptions are for the following river mainstems: the Fraser (non-tidal portion), Chilliwack-Vedder, Harrison, Lillooet, non-tidal Squamish, non-tidal Pitt, Elaho, Cheakamus, Capilano (downstream of Highway 1 bridge) and Mamquam (downstream of CN railway bridge). However, the tributaries of these named exceptions are closed.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »

Thinking about going for a ride in the quad up chilliwack valley and bringing the rod but wasn't too sure if the chilliwacks tributaries that are typically open still remain... Ie tamahi. ???

Closed.

island boy

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »

so on the vedder it is closed from the sumas to the fraser? thats my go to pink fishing spots.
you kill it, you clean it.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »

so on the vedder it is closed from the sumas to the fraser?

I believe so. I think that where the Vedder joins the Sumas to the confluence with the Fraser is considered part of the Sumas, and therefore currently closed. Pink time is still a ways off, so we'll see if they open it by early September.

Tylsie

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »

I believe so. I think that where the Vedder joins the Sumas to the confluence with the Fraser is considered part of the Sumas, and therefore currently closed. Pink time is still a ways off, so we'll see if they open it by early September.

I don't fish in the Sumas so I could be mistaken, but I thought it was all considered part of the C/V? Quote from the DFO website:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

"Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River): from a line between two fishing boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m from the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream including that portion of the Sumas River from the Barrow Town Pump Station downstream to fishing boundary signs near the confluence with the Fraser River."

I read that as you the area discussed in is from below the Slesse Creek cut-off to the Fraser River. It also lists a size and retention restrictions. Then at the bottom, when looking at Sumas River it says "see Chilliwack River." If I am reading this wrong, please tell me. But it seems pretty straightforward to me.   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:53:54 PM by Tylsie »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »

Tylsie, you're reading it right, and this is what's confusing people I think. The province's freshwater regulation synopsis actually regulates the two systems separately, so the two agencies are contradicting each other (one says it's open, while the other says its not based on the definition). It needs to be sorted out and I will contact the individuals who are responsible for this and get back to all.

This is why it's so ridiculous to have two levels of government managing one freshwater resource.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »

I don't fish in the Sumas so I could be mistaken, but I thought it was all considered part of the C/V? Quote from the DFO website:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

"Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River): from a line between two fishing boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m from the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream including that portion of the Sumas River from the Barrow Town Pump Station downstream to fishing boundary signs near the confluence with the Fraser River."

I read that as you the area discussed in is from below the Slesse Creek cut-off to the Fraser River. It also lists a size and retention restrictions. Then at the bottom, when looking at Sumas River it says "see Chilliwack River." If I am reading this wrong, please tell me. But it seems pretty straightforward to me.
I never noticed that particular discrepancy. I was thinking of the freshwater synopsis where the CV and the Sumas have their own separate entries.

on pg 24:

CHILLIWACK / VEDDER RIVERS*
(Does not include Sumas River)
(See map page 26)

And the way that particular map is labelled suggests that the CV ends with the canal. As Rodney points out, having two gov't agencies managing the same waters yet in different ways can lead to all sorts of confusion.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »

I never noticed that particular discrepancy. I was thinking of the freshwater synopsis where the CV and the Sumas have their own separate entries.

on pg 24:

CHILLIWACK / VEDDER RIVERS*
(Does not include Sumas River)
(See map page 26)

And the way that particular map is labelled suggests that the CV ends with the canal. As Rodney points out, having two gov't agencies managing the same waters yet in different ways can lead to all sorts of confusion.

The CV does indeed end at the confluence with the Sumas, hence the reference to the "portion of the Sumas from the Barrowtown Pump Station to the confluence with the Fraser" in the DFO regulations.  I suppose it doesn't really matter if the DFO manages the two systems the same or not, if the DFO opens the Sumas to retention of Salmon, but the Province has closed the Sumas to all fishing, then you would not be able to fish to catch a salmon to retain it anyway.  The only question is whether or not the Province intended to close the Sumas.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 11:57:45 PM »

Just an update on the Sumas/Vedder closure discussion earlier. The province has now included the Sumas downstream from the Vedder Canal confluence to the confluence of the Fraser River in the list of streams which are open for fishing to stay consistent with DFO's regulations.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/#anglingclosure

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »

Just an update on the Sumas/Vedder closure discussion earlier. The province has now included the Sumas downstream from the Vedder Canal confluence to the confluence of the Fraser River in the list of streams which are open for fishing to stay consistent with DFO's regulations.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/#anglingclosure

Yes, that is good.  Of course it still is not consistent as the DFO regs would have it from the pump house down to the Fraser open.  However, this is good for those looking to chase pinks in there.  I was thinking of running my little inflatable over from Dwedney, there any bars in the river between to worry about?  The map I have shows it clear sailing, but it is fairly old and I have no depth sounder.  I would drift down from the pump house, but I don't want to have to fight my way up in the shallow water.
Not all those who wander are lost